RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,696
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 461
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 8 2014, 02:23 AM   #61
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Things you thought were stupid on ds9.

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
If they had done episodes after the war it would have made sense to see Bajor join the Federation, but it wouldn't have made sense to just tack it on at the end of the episode.
Sure it would have.
And even though Bajor had not joined the Federation they were clearly in harmony with the Federation and on course to join it very soon.
But it still remains an unfinished story, the original purpose for the Federation coming to Bajor and having Starfleet establish Deep Space Nine.
Old April 10 2014, 07:19 PM   #62
milquetoast
Lieutenant Junior Grade

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
. I would've prefered that Jadzia had just been transfered off the ship, but you know how it is ... when an actress tells STAR TREK she wants off the show, the producers don't take to it kindly.
- IMO Killing the character off seemed the only way to deal with her absence. She had made a life there, her friends were there and her husband.
Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
That's pretty a pretty good retcon. It would explain why the other Founders can do faces and impersonate anyone, but that Odo cannot.
- I had read that the Founders took the unfinished form as a comfort to Odo. And they hated solids so why bother trying to look like one when your not trying to impersonate one.

I hated Mirror Bashir's hair and his mirror accent.
milquetoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2014, 07:25 PM   #63
sonak
Vice Admiral

1.Making Sisko a Prophet/arranged birth thing

2. Ending of "Sacrifice of Angels"

3. Sabotaging Dukat's character
Old April 10 2014, 10:55 PM   #64
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
If they had done episodes after the war it would have made sense to see Bajor join the Federation, but it wouldn't have made sense to just tack it on at the end of the episode.
Sure it would have.
And even though Bajor had not joined the Federation they were clearly in harmony with the Federation and on course to join it very soon.
But it still remains an unfinished story, the original purpose for the Federation coming to Bajor and having Starfleet establish Deep Space Nine.
The only way it would have made sense for Bajor to join the Federation in that episode is if they had a "Six months later..." or something. It just wouldn't have made sense for Bajor to just say "Okay the war ended yesterday. Hey we all just voted and we're joining!" That would have seemed a little too much of a contrivance, IMO.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2014, 02:11 AM   #65
dub
Fleet Captain

By the time the finale rolled around, I think wrapping up the war and putting the final notes on the rich character arcs and relationships was more important than whether or not Bajor joined the Federation. And though many pieces were wrapped up to an extent, I was pleased with the unsettled tone of the finale and the final scene, which was a reflection of the series as a whole. And I think it was good to leave some threads open for future fiction.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2014, 02:21 AM   #66
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

I liked Ezri , but the idea of the new Dax just happening to be a female, Trill Starfleet officer with dark hair--and wearing a blue uniform from the science division --that was too gimmicky.

Going from trainee to Lieutenant and later putting her on the Defiant in a con like position where she gave out reports just like Jadzia..

She was made to look a little too much like Jadzia.
Nightdiamond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2014, 08:47 PM   #67
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Sure it would have.
The only way it would have made sense for Bajor to join the Federation in that episode is if they had a "Six months later..." or something. It just wouldn't have made sense for Bajor to just say "Okay the war ended yesterday. Hey we all just voted and we're joining!" That would have seemed a little too much of a contrivance, IMO.
I have to disagree. It could have been easily mentioned in passing during the scene in Vic's (before he launched into his song). In the final scenes on the station, Kira would be walking around as an official Starfleet captain.

dub wrote: View Post
By the time the finale rolled around, I think wrapping up the war and putting the final notes on the rich character arcs and relationships was more important than whether or not Bajor joined the Federation. And though many pieces were wrapped up to an extent, I was pleased with the unsettled tone of the finale and the final scene, which was a reflection of the series as a whole. And I think it was good to leave some threads open for future fiction.
Nah, I think it should have been wrapped up in the actual series than in some book somewhere. As such, why our heroes were there in the first place comes across as something that was forgotten or was dropped because they ran out of time due to too many things that weren't wrapped up prior to the finale.
Old April 11 2014, 09:33 PM   #68
Enterprise1701
Captain

Only 1 Romulan warship class. Models are expensive, but couldn't they have created just 1 original Romulan warship to complement the D'Deridex class for the series? I like how the novelization of "What You Leave Behind" mentions 2375 Romulan birds of prey.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 12:49 PM   #69
mendelin
Lieutenant Commander

View mendelin's Twitter Profile

May be not stupid, but quite odd thing for me:
The commercial relationships on the station.

The Federation has no money, but DS9-station isn't a part of Federation's space.
So, on DS9 there is plenty of small shops, there is "Quark's" and other eateries, were golden-pressed latinum is used. On the other hand, all people can use free replicators to get food, clothes and other stuff.

The question is, from where the Federation people (starfleet officers) can get enough golden-pressed latinum, if they don't get money from their government.
mendelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 01:44 PM   #70
SPCTRE
Infinitely Cloud Powered

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
Only 1 Romulan warship class. Models are expensive, but couldn't they have created just 1 original Romulan warship to complement the D'Deridex class for the series? I like how the novelization of "What You Leave Behind" mentions 2375 Romulan birds of prey.
Oh, I like this one.

Yes! It's totally stupid!
Old April 14 2014, 02:21 PM   #71
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

mendelin wrote: View Post
May be not stupid, but quite odd thing for me:
The commercial relationships on the station.

The Federation has no money, but DS9-station isn't a part of Federation's space.
So, on DS9 there is plenty of small shops, there is "Quark's" and other eateries, were golden-pressed latinum is used. On the other hand, all people can use free replicators to get food, clothes and other stuff.

The question is, from where the Federation people (starfleet officers) can get enough golden-pressed latinum, if they don't get money from their government.
We never see Quark asking for GPL for anything consumed or enjoyed strictly within the confines of the bar. Presumably, Quark is satisfied with whatever non-monetary currency is used by either the Federation, the Bajorans, or just on the station for food, drink and holosuite time. It's only when something is durable and transportable that GPL becomes the preferred method of payment: gambling, wedding rings, auction items, etc. It would then be up to the individual SF officer to convert whatever credits or allowances or barter for services in order to obtain the GPL or initiate an exchange.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 07:09 PM   #72
Worf'sParmach
Commander

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
I liked Ezri , but the idea of the new Dax just happening to be a female, Trill Starfleet officer with dark hair--and wearing a blue uniform from the science division --that was too gimmicky.

Going from trainee to Lieutenant and later putting her on the Defiant in a con like position where she gave out reports just like Jadzia..

She was made to look a little too much like Jadzia.
I agree. I could deal with everything right up until she was piloting the Defiant. I can't imagine she was the most qualified officer for the position. Regardless of Dax's history, Ezri did not have the experience to justify it. Lazy writing. They took the easy route by essentially replcing Terry Farrell's chacracter with a new actor, but cut her hair short therefore making her completely different.

A man would have been the better choice. I get all the reasons they didn't, but if DS9 were made today I bet they would. They could have solved the woman shortage problem by giving Keiko or Kassidy more prominent roles (which happened for Kasidy in the final arc anyway).
Old April 17 2014, 01:49 PM   #73
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
I agree. I could deal with everything right up until she was piloting the Defiant. I can't imagine she was the most qualified officer for the position. Regardless of Dax's history, Ezri did not have the experience to justify it. Lazy writing. They took the easy route by essentially replcing Terry Farrell's chacracter with a new actor, but cut her hair short therefore making her completely different.

A man would have been the better choice. I get all the reasons they didn't, but if DS9 were made today I bet they would. They could have solved the woman shortage problem by giving Keiko or Kassidy more prominent roles (which happened for Kasidy in the final arc anyway).
When was Ezri at the conn--can't remember that epsiode (damn shame, I'll have to go and rewatch DS9 now and keep an eye out for it )? She acted more as comm/ops officer during the few instances we saw her on the bridge.

I do think that the new Dax should've been a man, especially if his character arc remained the same. Kira was more than enough woman on the main cast, but there wouldn't have been any harm in giving Kasidy a greater role--or even brought back T'Rul as the Romulan equivilant of Martok.
Old April 17 2014, 09:47 PM   #74
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

mendelin wrote: View Post
The Federation has no money ...
Credits.

Picard and Jake mentioned that Humans don't have money (except all of those who do), but the Federation easily could.

... all people can use free replicators to get food, clothes and other stuff.
I never assumed what comes out of the replicator is free. In TV shows set in modern times, how often in bars, shops and restaurant do you see characters pay for items?

The easiest answer is that they do in fact get paid.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 01:08 AM   #75
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Having just finished watching the entire series, I could come up with a huge list, but I will list off my biggest pet peeves:

1. Odo was useless. The acting was phenomenal, but the character as written was completely useless. His shape-shifting ability is just a gimmick that is hardly ever used properly. The whole idea that he can turn into anything but can't replicate a humanoid face is just as retarded as an Android that can't use contractions.

2. Jadzia Dax. It's interesting how a lot of you hate Ezri, and rightly so. Jadzia was just as bad though, although in a different way. Ezri is supposed to be confused about who she is. Realistically if you just got infused with 300 years of other people's lifetime experiences as memories, I imagine you would be confused for a while, but that same experience would allow you to make sense of it a lot quicker than Ezri did. Surprisingly, she makes more sense than Jadzia as a character. I don't think Terry Farrell ever convinced me she was supposed to be this great wise old man. She just came across as an arrogant bitch for most of the show.

3. Gold pressed Latinum. - How is it exactly that complex lifeforms can be transported easily to and fro, but replicated food tastes "replicated", and Latinum is a substance that can't be replicated? The whole idea of money in a universe where energy is pretty much limitless is stupid.

4. Kira, simply because Nana Visitor is a horrible actress.

5. The Worf/Jadzia relationship. Absolutely zero chemistry. At least Kira was right in saying Jadzia had frightening taste in men.

6. The mirror universe. Every single episode was horrendous. The actors were horrible enough trying to play their normal characters, but getting them to play "evil" versions of themselves was laughable. And giving the resistance the schematics for the Defiant (in a universe where Starfleet hasn't existed in 100 years, and they barely had enough resources to survive in hiding) and in the span of a few days they have an exact replica of the Defiant to use against the Alliance. The only good thing out of that whole arc was the little exchange between evilEzri, Rom and Zek prime: (I will paraphrase)

Ezri: "I'm trying to save your lives, do you want to live?"
Rom: "I want to live!!"
Zek: "Me too!!!!"