RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 527
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old March 22 2014, 01:14 AM   #1
Victory Is Life
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seth Macfarlane Should Helm the Next Trek Series

I honestly believe that he wants it, and that CBS Studios should definitely give him the keys to that kingdom. He wants to bring back the stories of TNG, that style of writing, and I believe that this is the right decision. He loves Trek, and he wants it. He even has Brannon Braga involved in his Cosmos series, for better or for worse...At least there's no Berman.

I think that we should seriously get behind this idea. He would definitely give guys like Manny Coto some much deserved work. We need a new series, and Seth Macfarlane is the guy to get it off the ground. He would be true to ethos with a new perspective. JJ Abrams did not do it justice.

Macfarlane would get commercial success and reinvigorate Trek for TV the way we all want and deserve it to be. Thoughts?
Victory Is Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 01:26 AM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Seth Macfarlane Should Helm the Next Trek Series

I've seen little of MacFarlane's work myself, but as he's known primarily for animation and comedy, it would seem a waste of his talents.
Old March 22 2014, 01:49 AM   #3
Victory Is Life
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you've seen little of his work, do a little research, I don't mean that condescendingly, I encourage it. Search the web and come back and we'll see if you feel the same way.
Old March 22 2014, 01:56 AM   #4
Melakon
Vice Admiral

No.
Old March 22 2014, 01:58 AM   #5
Victory Is Life
Lieutenant Junior Grade

So it's THIS kind of forum. I won't last here.
Old March 22 2014, 02:00 AM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Sure you will. I just think MacFarlane is best suited working in comedy rather than as a showrunner for a science fiction show.
Old March 22 2014, 02:01 AM   #7
Warped9
Admiral

TNG style of writing?

Pass.

Sleep inducement is not why I want to watch television.
Old March 22 2014, 02:08 AM   #8
Victory Is Life
Lieutenant Junior Grade

TNG produced emmy nominated scripts. The Inner Light, TBOBW, Unification, etc. It has the best track record of shit to gold script quality ratio of any Trek series. Am I in a forum of Trek fans or deluded maniacs (no insult intended)?
Old March 22 2014, 02:08 AM   #9
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Victory Is Life wrote: View Post
We need a new series, and Seth Macfarlane is the guy to get it off the ground.
No thanks.

He would definitely give guys like Manny Coto some much deserved work.
Ick. Definitely no thanks!
Old March 22 2014, 02:10 AM   #10
Victory Is Life
Lieutenant Junior Grade

So you want Berman back? or Bjo Trimble? Either way, dead weight. Im curious, what was your ultimate favorite hour of Trek?
Old March 22 2014, 02:17 AM   #11
Victory Is Life
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you think that it's an accident that Seth is so close to Patrick Stewart? Has Brannon Braga writing his brainchild series Cosmos, an ode to Carl Sagan? reunited the TNG cast for the first time in 15 years (including Wil Wheaton) for an episode of Family Guy? Guest Starred in two episodes of Enterprise? Has basically brought Star Trek into the radar of millennials by consistently quoting and referencing it in Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show, and has publicly expressed interest in being the guy who brings it back to TV?

He's the guy. I promise. I am the biggest Trek fan in history, and I guarantee a quantifiable ROI on Seth Macfarlane bringing the show back to life. From what I can tell, no one else wants the job who is even remotely as qualified, and JJ Abrams essentially raped what we hold dear, and is now on to greener pastures in Star Wars, of which he is a self-professed fan, over Trek. Please.
Old March 22 2014, 02:22 AM   #12
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I am the biggest Trek fan in history. . .
That means you're either Bjo Trimble or Richard Arnold.
Old March 22 2014, 02:25 AM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

So you want Berman back? or Bjo Trimble? Either way, dead weight. Im curious, what was your ultimate favorite hour of Trek?
Was Bjo Trimble ever in?

Do you think that it's an accident that Seth is so close to Patrick Stewart? Has Brannon Braga writing his brainchild series Cosmos, an ode to Carl Sagan? reunited the TNG cast for the first time in 15 years (including Wil Wheaton) for an episode of Family Guy? Guest Starred in two episodes of Enterprise? Has basically brought Star Trek into the radar of millennials by consistently quoting and referencing it in Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show, and has publicly expressed interest in being the guy who brings it back to TV?

He's the guy. I promise. I am the biggest Trek fan in history, and I guarantee a quantifiable ROI on Seth Macfarlane bringing the show back to life. From what I can tell, no one else wants the job who is even remotely as qualified, and JJ Abrams essentially raped what we hold dear, and is now on to greener pastures in Star Wars, of which he is a self-professed fan, over Trek. Please.
Not seeing anything that says hire this guy.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 02:39 AM   #14
Victory Is Life
Lieutenant Junior Grade

You may not see it, but Abrams=Mediocre, Sci-Fi Producer/Director of the week (made Lost, Cloverfield=BFD) and not even a fan of Trek. Delivered two (mediocre at best) Trek movies that delivered modest to good financial returns, with a marked decline in intellectual quality and modest shout outs to a fan base that deserved respect. This is versus Seth Macfarlane who has delivered consistenly succesful TV offerings (questionable as they may be, but never intellectually). An accomplished singer and hardcore sci fi fan (star trek in particular), Sci Fi is his first love, Cosmos is what he has wanted forever. He loves Trek. Patrick Stewart is his favorite actor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksT_ulO1LYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOQvc2GOOSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-cx-H5XnZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgKxeX0_oL4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zAAInA_IAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y872zaWpfHU

That's just a taste. This guy has a profound love of Trek, just look how he talks about best of both worlds, and serious clout in hollywood. This is the way to go.
Old March 22 2014, 02:39 AM   #15
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I am the biggest Trek fan in history, and I guarantee a quantifiable ROI on Seth Macfarlane bringing the show back to life.
Well then it's settled.

Honestly my first reaction is "huh?" and my second reaction is "WTF?" and my third reaction is "huh? WTF?" -- but on the other hand, who knows? The idea may be just crazy enough to work.