To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 27 2014, 04:05 AM   #1
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

DW Lego now a possibility

Sometimes we have to turn down project submissions that refer to specific brands or licensed properties. We do this to avoid getting your hopes up for something we know we aren't able to make. In these cases, we already know the LEGO Group can't secure licensing rights to produce construction toys based on a particular brand or property, due to a conflicting interest with a third party.

If such a conflict goes away, we'll then be able to accept projects based on a particular brand or license.

Resolved Past Licensing Conflicts

We now welcome projects based on the following licenses that used to have conflicts:
  • Doctor Who - February 2014
LEGO Cuusoo

For those who aren't familiar with LEGO Cuusoo, it's something LEGO set up to allow people to submit and vote on custom LEGO set designs, with a possibility of becoming actual products. LEGO has already produced Back to the Future and Ghostbusters sets based on successful Cuusoo submissions.

This doesn't mean that LEGO will definitely be producing DW products in the future, just that it's no longer impossible.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 07:19 AM   #2
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: DW Lego now a possibility

I really hope this happens. I've been wanting LEGO Doctor Who for years now.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Starkers
Admiral

So does this mean Character Building have lost/will lose their licence?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

They could have also acquired (the possibility of) a sub-license, much as AudioGO had the Doctor Who audio license, which was then sub-licensed to Big Finish.
Old March 1 2014, 06:10 PM   #5
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

The inner child in me is screaming with joy!

I always did really want Doctor Who Lego as a child, Lego and doctor who were two essentials to my childhood.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
So does this mean Character Building have lost/will lose their licence?
Nope. At least nothing like that has been announced.
Old March 2 2014, 02:07 PM   #7
ROBE
Commander

I hope Character lose the licence lots of fans are fed up with them producing super rares.
Okay Lego did it once with Mr Gold but he was limited to 5000. Character Building super rares are limited to 500, 250 and 100.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

That was quick. A Doctor Who set has already hit 10,000 supporters... which means it's headed to the review phase!

We now officially advance this project to the Review phase.

What happens now?
This project moves from the Idea stage to the Review stage. A "LEGO Review Board" composed of designers, product managers, and other key team members will examine the idea. We'll build concept models and determine if the concept meets our high standards for what it takes to be a LEGO product. This includes factors such as playability, safety, and fit with the LEGO brand. Every potential LEGO product goes through a process like this and must meet the same standards.

The LEGO Review Begins in May
This project qualifies for the Second 2014 Review beginning in May and ending in September.

The review is a thorough process and from its start, and can take several months. When finished, we make a "go/no go" decision to develop and sell a product based on the Doctor Who concept.

When the review is complete, we will inform you of our decision. If green-lit, this project goes into the longest phase of the project; the Development phase. During this time, LEGO model designers refine the product and develop it for release, we create the product materials (box, instructions, marketing), and get everything ready for a production run. This also takes several months.
Project page with pics

Fantastic!
Old March 17 2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

*happy moment*
Old March 18 2014, 03:35 AM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral

Am I the only one who thinks actual Caucasian flesh coloured Lego people look weird?
Old March 18 2014, 11:18 PM   #11
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Yes.
Old March 22 2014, 03:22 AM   #12
ATimson
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who thinks actual Caucasian flesh coloured Lego people look weird?
They did at first, but I've gotten used to them, mostly.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 01:35 PM   #13
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I grew up when the flesh coloured ones were only just coming in. I collected the Harry Potter Lego back when they were still using the yellow figures and if your brought all the sets it'd built up into a massive big playset (I had most of the sets). Then when the third film was coming out, they scrapped all that (no more compatibility ) but the figures were now in the flesh colour. I'm not sure if I already had some Spider-man 2 sets that were flesh or not but either way I didn't have any other flesh lego till this. The first flesh Harry Potter set I got was a tiny one with Malthoy as the only figure. I loved it and thought it was an improvement, it was weird having a flesh version of the figure you had about 100 times in yellow but I loved it. Looking back though my most sentimental Lego times were with mainly yellow figures (Jack Stone, yellow harry Potter and I also brought some old Spider-man 1 sets which I preferred as it has green goblin with it.)

I can see how flesh lego looks weird to some of you as you grew up only with yellow figures but I can take both.
Old March 22 2014, 03:19 PM   #14
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I can see how flesh lego looks weird to some of you as you grew up only with yellow figures but I can take both.
I wonder which was the harder shock: the flesh tone, or non-standard facial expressions (that started showing up on the yellow figures in the 90s)?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 05:46 AM   #15
JRoss
Captain

More important than the toys is Lego Doctor Who: The Videogame.