Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 21 2014, 06:17 AM   #1
YARN
Fleet Captain

By Any Other Name

So, going beyond the edge of the galaxy is known to make psychic gods out of high ESPer humans.

Did Rojan luck out by unwittingly kidnapping a crew of muggles?

If they had not responded to the original beacon in Where No Man Has Gone Before would Gary Mitchell and/or Elizabeth Dehner have complicated things?

Or did they simply exit out of the "non-psychic" area of the galactic barrier?
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 07:25 AM   #2
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Re: By Any Other Name

After WNM, Spock studied the sensor logs and identified what kind of energy put the whammy on Mitchell. Then Spock came up with a deflector shield modification to screen it out.

We can only assume the shields came on automatically when Larry Marvick went mad and plunged the ship into the Barrier in "Is There in Truth No Beauty."
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 07:29 AM   #3
CrazyMatt
Commander

Hmmmm, envisage it:

Rojan: From this time forward, you are subjects of the Kelvan Empire. You will serve us from now on.

Gary Mitchell: (voice echoing): On your knees NOW! Time to pray! Pray to me Kelvan!

Rojan: To you human?!?

Gary Mitchell: Pray you die easily!
Old March 21 2014, 07:29 AM   #4
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
After WNM, Spock studied the sensor logs and identified what kind of energy put the whammy on Mitchell. Then Spock came up with a deflector shield modification to screen it out.

We can only assume the shields came on automatically when Larry Marvick went mad and plunged the ship into the Barrier in "Is There in Truth No Beauty."
Works for me.

Since the 1970s, I've supposed shield modifications in my personal continuity such as you describe.
Old March 21 2014, 08:18 AM   #5
Timo
Admiral

We know of two ships with espers aboard - two went divine on Kirk's, at least one on the Valiant. So let's say one out of 200 might be of sufficient PSI rating. (Perhaps not out of all humans, but out of all humans weird enough to enlist and to gain deep space assignments.)

Where do we have a problem here, exactly? We know none of the main heroes were vulnerable that way. The rest of the crew is known to undergo at least some rotation, so some new espers might have come aboard - but the symptoms develop slowly, and Rojan turned everybody else into RPG dice long before they could have gone the Gary Mitchell way. If somebody did develop omnipotence problems after the adventure, he or she would probably have been aware of what happened the last time around, and would have left the ship in time...

As for "In Truth", perhaps the one out of 200 was Larry Marvick?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 08:26 AM   #6
YARN
Fleet Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
We know of two ships with espers aboard - two went divine on Kirk's, at least one on the Valiant. So let's say one out of 200 might be of sufficient PSI rating. (Perhaps not out of all humans, but out of all humans weird enough to enlist and to gain deep space assignments.)

Where do we have a problem here, exactly?
Don't recall saying there was a problem, per se.

Just asking questions.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 08:45 AM   #7
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post

Where do we have a problem here, exactly? We know none of the main heroes were vulnerable that way. The rest of the crew is known to undergo at least some rotation, so some new espers might have come aboard - but the symptoms develop slowly, and Rojan turned everybody else into RPG dice long before they could have gone the Gary Mitchell way. If somebody did develop omnipotence problems after the adventure, he or she would probably have been aware of what happened the last time around, and would have left the ship in time...

As for "In Truth", perhaps the one out of 200 was Larry Marvick?

Timo Saloniemi
Actually, more than just Mitchell and Dehner were affected on the Enterprise. Nine others were killed, and they had high ESP ratings too.
Old March 21 2014, 10:42 AM   #8
Metryq
Captain

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I assumed, in that instance, the Enterprise disappeared into some other topographical fold of space. It looked similar to the Barrier, but was much more colorful.
Old March 21 2014, 11:31 AM   #9
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I figured that in "Is There In Truth...", the barrier plus Warp Factor Insane blipped the Enterprise into a weird pocket universe or something. Voyager probably would have given it a special name, like tri-fluxic-quantum-fold, and have Harry look worried when he said it.
Old March 21 2014, 07:47 PM   #10
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

The Kelvin modifications to the engines which will get them to Andromeda in 300 years shot them through the barrier so quickly, nobody had time to get zapped and turned into silvery eyed gods. Run your hand through a flame fast enough, you won't get burned.
Old March 21 2014, 10:43 PM   #11
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
Hmmmm, envisage it:

Rojan: From this time forward, you are subjects of the Kelvan Empire. You will serve us from now on.

Gary Mitchell: (voice echoing): On your knees NOW! Time to pray! Pray to me Kelvan!

Rojan: To you human?!?

Gary Mitchell: Pray you die easily!
Awesome. Totally awesome.
Old March 22 2014, 07:43 AM   #12
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
The Kelvin modifications to the engines which will get them to Andromeda in 300 years shot them through the barrier so quickly, nobody had time to get zapped and turned into silvery eyed gods. Run your hand through a flame fast enough, you won't get burned.
This.

And I've come to realize that Delta Vega is not, repeat, not, beyond the barrier. If it were, the cracking station wouldn't be there. What the Enterprise did was ricochet off the barrier and back into the galaxy. I just had to mention that.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 09:15 AM   #13
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
And I've come to realize that Delta Vega is not, repeat, not, beyond the barrier. If it were, the cracking station wouldn't be there. What the Enterprise did was ricochet off the barrier and back into the galaxy. I just had to mention that.

That's odd; In all these decades, I never once thought that Delta Vega could be beyond the barrier.

This is just like the idea that Gary Mitchell might have been second in command, as some posters have suggested but never even occurred to me.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 09:43 AM   #14
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Beyond the barrier is where no man has gone before. More specifically:
"Other vessels will be heading out here someday and they'll have to know what they'll be facing."
Also, Kirk had to give an order for extra power to escape the barrier, once they had penetrated it, so the Enterprise didn't "ricochet off the barrier":
"Helmsmen, take us out of here. [...] Helmsmen! [...] Lateral power! [sic]"
Old March 22 2014, 11:32 AM   #15
HIjol
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I figured that in "Is There In Truth...", the barrier plus Warp Factor Insane blipped the Enterprise into a weird pocket universe or something. Voyager probably would have given it a special name, like tri-fluxic-quantum-fold, and have Harry look worried when he said it.
Don't forget the side cut to Tuvok for the eyebrow raise...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote