TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 20 2014, 11:32 PM   #1
Dream
Admiral

The Walking Dead family friendly edited version coming to Broadcast TV

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/19/th...ead-broadcast/

Ever wonder what AMC’s ultra-violent hit The Walking Dead would be like if it was edited for a broadcast network instead?

Fox-owned syndication channel MyNetworkTV has picked up the exclusive broadcast rights to re-air the zombie drama. Starting this fall, MyNet will run two episodes a week, edited for broadcast standards, from seasons of the show that have previously aired on AMC. Though not one the popular Big 4 networks, MyNet reaches 97 percent of the country and is likewise categorized as a broadcast channel mostly airing repeats of shows like Monk, House and Law & Order: Criminal Intent. “It’s not often you get to add the hottest show on the planet to your lineup,” said Frank Cicha of the Fox Television Stations. “We just did, and it’s a tremendous get for our stations.”

The Walking Dead could have ended up on broadcast (it was famously rejected by NBC). And while we will never know what creative changes broadcast executives might have demanded of comic creator Robert Kirkman during a traditional network development process, we will get to find out what AMC’s version will look like when edited for a more family friendly audience. MyNet confirms The Walking Dead on MyNet will be edited to meet broadcast content standards and will carry a TV-14 rating.
I can't believe they are doing this. This reminds me of the whole Dexter season one thing.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 11:42 PM   #2
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead family friendly edited version coming to Broadcas

Family Friendly? Are they going to just edited a Season or a half season into a single episode? Although, I imagine not much would have to be edited to make it able to air on Broadcast Network (In later Prime Time), I can't imagine being able to edit it down to something you would call Family Friendly, without chopping out great swaths of the show.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 11:48 PM   #3
JD
Admiral

Well, given what they show on stuff like The Following and CSI, I have to wonder how much they will be editing out. Apparently Hannibal also goes pretty far with the gore, but I haven't watched it yet.
Old March 20 2014, 11:54 PM   #4
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 11:55 PM   #5
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

It's not the gore, it's the violence. I don't think you can show beheadings or swords actually penetrating people.
Old March 20 2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Are they going to make zombies hug each other?
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 12:20 AM   #7
JD
Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
It's not the gore, it's the violence. I don't think you can show beheadings or swords actually penetrating people.
I'm pretty sure I've seen stuff like that on network shows. I've always been kind of confused when it comes to the borders of basic cable and network content levels.
Old March 21 2014, 12:58 AM   #8
Leviathan
Commander

You mean like Breaking Bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=CtZpo89mmJo
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 01:13 AM   #9
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
This is exactly what I thought of.

And, to others above, while "broadcast standards" may be pretty.... lax these days when it comes to content TWD still exceeds that when it comes to gore, violence and even language.
Old March 21 2014, 01:34 AM   #10
Poinsettia
Commodore

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I thought about this sketch upon seeing this thread title too. And then The Sopranos came on the A&E channel in 2007.

...Close my eyes, it's three in the afternoon...
Poinsettia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 09:50 AM   #11
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
It depends on the individual channels, of course, but later primetime (9:00-11:00 PM) network TV has become pretty damn violent and gory over the past ten years. The aforementioned Hannibal has gore which you would typically find in only a rated-R film (it regularly exceeds stuff seen in even the Hannibal Lector film series). And The Following routinely shows people being stabbed in the head or having their throats cut. The pilot episode featured a girl getting her eyes gouged out. CSI and the other forensic and police procedural shows regularly show beheadings both as they happen and postmortem, and Sleepy Hollow can't really avoid beheadings given the subject matter.

I can't think of anything I've seen on TWD that I haven't seen on network television these days, other than some very mild curse words, because God knows the world would come to an end if someone said "shit."
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Old March 21 2014, 04:08 PM   #12
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Nonsensical idea. Either accept the series for what it is--which includes the gore, violence, language and dark themes, or go watch PBS.
Old September 1 2014, 12:18 AM   #13
Dream
Admiral

MyNetworkTV Sets Fall Schedule With New Additions ‘Walking Dead’ & ‘The Mentalist’

MyNetworkTV has unveiled its fall lineup, including new additions AMC’s The Walking Dead and CBS’ The Mentalist. The network announced in March it had acquired off-network rights to the blockbuster zombie drama. The Walking Dead will air on Wednesday nights and The Mentalist on Thursday nights.
How much will this really boost TWD's fanbase? I imagine plenty of kids are already watching it on AMC, or when it is released on dvd. The show is quite popular with families even with its extreme violence.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2014, 01:48 AM   #14
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Has anyone watched Spartacus on SyFy? I just wonder how coherent it is since so many key scenes revolved around baths, orgies, gladiator locker rooms, and nude masquerade parties. Do they cut the scenes entirely or CGI strategically placed dick concealing tables and breast concealing hands?

Plus, it's just not the same show if "Jupiter's Cock" is not mentioned at least fifteen times an episode.

NSFW, obviously.

Old September 1 2014, 02:48 AM   #15
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

More singing perhaps?

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote