The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 21 2014, 12:46 AM   #16
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

That screen was one of my concerns, because it's in all the publicity, but it just makes me think of HAL9000 and I wasn't looking forward to something like that. I liked Win7 over XP.

I'm dreading what's going to happen when Microsoft stops supporting XP next month, I may get knocked off line permanently until I can get a replacement.
Old March 21 2014, 12:47 AM   #17
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Well, you can still use Windows XP, you just won't get any security updates or patches, and tech support won't help you. Those gaps can be filled, for a while.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 12:50 AM   #18
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
That screen was one of my concerns, because it's in all the publicity
After booting, you get to the desktop with ONE single click. And in Windows 8.1 you can set it to go straight to desktop from the start.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 12:50 AM   #19
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Twenty-five years ago, I wouldn't be all worried about something like this. Back then I had the money where I could buy something within a week. Now it takes me months to do even something as simple as getting a new monitor.
Old March 21 2014, 12:55 AM   #20
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Well, you can still use Windows XP, you just won't get any security updates or patches, and tech support won't help you. Those gaps can be filled, for a while.
I'd say as long sites like TrekBBS pose a security risk with uncontrolled advertisement, one seriously shouldn't stay with Windows XP.
Old March 21 2014, 12:59 AM   #21
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Yeah, that's my problem. I may wind up taking an extended absence from here again if the machine catches something nasty. And this is the site I hit more than anywhere else.
Old March 21 2014, 01:13 AM   #22
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

This might help, then: https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-447.htm
It's a transcript of a radio show that the guys at GRC labs do every so often. This one is about what you can do to stay protected with Windows XP after the official deadline has passed.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Old March 21 2014, 01:22 AM   #23
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Thanks for that, J. I bought my first computer in '83, and in all that time I've only been completely without a machine for 2 years.

It was a rough 2 years, believe me.
Old March 21 2014, 01:35 AM   #24
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Thanks for that, J. I bought my first computer in '83, and in all that time I've only been completely without a machine for 2 years.

It was a rough 2 years, believe me.
I believe you. There was a time when one could go without owning a computer. That time is no longer. The world has become so interconnected, that to not have a computer, or at least a cell phone, leaves one out of a major portion of the loop.
Old March 21 2014, 02:58 AM   #25
Great Pumpkin
Pumpkin God

Location: In the pumpkin patch to surprise Linus and Captain Ice

Melakon, do you have a Costco/Sam's Club somewhere nearby? When I bought my current machine, they had very capable machines in the $450-$500 range.

How about a Datadoctors location? They're still building machines with Windows 7.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Great Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 06:12 PM   #26
farmkid
Commodore

J., thanks, that's another for the list of candidates.

Stephen!, since I'd have to save up money for either a new drive, seeing if the data on the old drive can be recovered, or buying a new machine, I figure I'll aim for a new machine first.

My eyes are so bad, I'm not good at trying to work inside the case anymore, and if I bought only a new drive, I don't have an operating system to install on it.
I wouldn't dismiss the idea of replacing the hard drive just yet. If your old computer was sufficient for your needs and otherwise is still okay, you should be able to fix it for ~$60. A new 1TB drive starts at about that much (this one, for example). You should already have a license for Win 7, with the key printed on a sticker on your computer case. Here's an article with instructions telling you how to download the installer which you can use with your key. Don't worry, it's legal, and the download links in the article are to an approved Microsoft distributor.

It's not quite as easy as just buying a new computer, but it's not hard either. Your eyesight might make it more difficult, but installing a hard drive is so simple I can't imagine it would be hard to find a friend with better eyesight who could help.
Old March 22 2014, 04:42 AM   #27
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote:
. . .that to not have a computer, or at least a cell phone, leaves one out of a major portion of the loop.
I have still not ever used a cell phone. I never call anyone, on the landline, and no one ever calls me except robo-calls and telemarketers.
Captain Ice wrote:
do you have a Costco/Sam's Club somewhere nearby?
There's a Costco up at the mall about a mile away, but I'm not a member and can't justify paying their membership fee for just a single purchase. There's a Data Doctors about 40 blocks away, but I haven't been in that part of town in 15 years. I think there's a Sam's Club about 10 miles away, but again there's the membership issue. And being without a vehicle makes going any distance difficult.

farmkid, thanks for that info. I would like to see if the data on the crashed disk can be recovered, but most of the stuff I want to get from it can be downloaded again from where I originally bought them (mostly 3d models). I don't think it's just a mechanical problem though, as the computer was unable to access one of my own directories for a few months.
Old March 22 2014, 04:54 AM   #28
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

J. Allen wrote:
. . .that to not have a computer, or at least a cell phone, leaves one out of a major portion of the loop.
I have still not ever used a cell phone. I never call anyone, on the landline, and no one ever calls me except robo-calls and telemarketers.
Captain Ice wrote:
do you have a Costco/Sam's Club somewhere nearby?
There's a Costco up at the mall about a mile away, but I'm not a member and can't justify paying their membership fee for just a single purchase. There's a Data Doctors about 40 blocks away, but I haven't been in that part of town in 15 years. I think there's a Sam's Club about 10 miles away, but again there's the membership issue. And being without a vehicle makes going any distance difficult.

farmkid, thanks for that info. I would like to see if the data on the crashed disk can be recovered, but most of the stuff I want to get from it can be downloaded again from where I originally bought them (mostly 3d models). I don't think it's just a mechanical problem though, as the computer was unable to access one of my own directories for a few months.
That's still indicative of the hard disk. Bad sectors (where your information and directories and such are kept) make it difficult, or impossible, for the data to be read. Farmkid's right, replacing your hard drive may be enough, unless you just want to go ahead and upgrade everything while you're at it. Depends on what you really want.
Old March 22 2014, 01:11 PM   #29
lurok
Commodore

As others have said, if interested in 3d modelling/animation, I'd go for

* i7/quad core (though i5 will also work well if want cheaper)
* 64-bit Windows
* minimum 4gb RAM (though more RAM will be better)

the two things I think will make a big difference to 3D work are:
* SSD instead of hard drive (speed difference is really noticeable)
* spending money on good high-end graphics card.
Old March 22 2014, 02:21 PM   #30
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I don't really see the advantages of SSDs for 3D work. A great CPU for fast rendering, and a lot of RAM to be able to handle large objects, scenes and textures. And yes, obviously the graphics card. Which comes in handy when you look at recent GPU renderers like Octane.
I use my SSD for the system partition. I don't store any data on it, as it would wear out the SSD pretty quickly.

The i7 4930k is hot right now.