Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 24 2014, 04:33 PM   #31
Redfern
Commodore

Re: The Cage episode

I knew Ms. Oliver was a pilot, but I had no idea she was rated for jets! Sweet!

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 02:41 AM   #32
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

The blurays also feature two different versions of "Where No Man Has Gone Before." I personally like the grainy look of the original version (which was transferred from a 16mm source and is on the third season set).

I have a soft spot for the original VHS release of "The Cage." It was one of the first Trek episodes I bought on video and I watched the hell out of it. I loved the Roddenberry intro, even if he was spouting bullshit.
Old March 25 2014, 04:44 AM   #33
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I prefer the restored version.

In fairness most of "The Cage" can be seen in "The Menagerie" and what's dropped is largely inconsequential. Two scenes in particular are dropped from "The Menagerie" and I can see why.

The first is Pike's commenting on having women on the bridge. It really doesn't make sense even when it was filmed because other women can be seen on the bridge besides Number One. The second scene shows Spock taking command and ordering the ship to break orbit to escape. This does make Spock look bad and it's easy to see why it wouldn't be included in "The Menagerie."

Of course, the entirety of "The Cage" couldn't fit into the alloted running time so it only make sense that the footage dropped would be that not really serving the story.

Other than those two scenes I mention it's then mostly very small trims.
I SEE. Well it looked like a boring episode but I will watch it just for kicks.
evangelist6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 04:45 AM   #34
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The blurays also feature two different versions of "Where No Man Has Gone Before." I personally like the grainy look of the original version (which was transferred from a 16mm source and is on the third season set).

I have a soft spot for the original VHS release of "The Cage." It was one of the first Trek episodes I bought on video and I watched the hell out of it. I loved the Roddenberry intro, even if he was spouting bullshit.
I do not have a Bue-Ray player
evangelist6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 06:47 AM   #35
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
In fairness most of "The Cage" can be seen in "The Menagerie" and what's dropped is largely inconsequential. Two scenes in particular are dropped from "The Menagerie" and I can see why.

The first is Pike's commenting on having women on the bridge. It really doesn't make sense even when it was filmed because other women can be seen on the bridge besides Number One. The second scene shows Spock taking command and ordering the ship to break orbit to escape. This does make Spock look bad and it's easy to see why it wouldn't be included in "The Menagerie."

. . . Other than those two scenes I mention it's then mostly very small trims.
Some of the other cuts, IIRC:

After Pike questions why Vina wears the same metal fabric as the Talosians, she coyly replies: "Well, I have to wear something. Don't I?"

Just before the Orion slave girl illusion, the Keeper remarks: "A curious species. They have fantasies they hide even from themselves."

During the Orion sequence, the guy in the Starfleet uniform says: "Funny how they are on this planet. They actually like being taken advantage of."

(There were cuts made in this sequence even before the pilot was screened for the NBC suits. Right after the leering bald guy says "Almost like secret dreams a bored ship captain might have," there's an abrupt edit on the soundtrack.)

A substantial amount of dialogue was cut from the picnic scene.

The Keeper's description of Number One: "The female you call Number One has the superior mind and would produce highly intelligent children. Although she seems to lack emotion, this is largely a pretense. She has often has fantasies involving you."

No doubt some of that stuff was cut to satisfy the network censors.
Old March 25 2014, 02:07 PM   #36
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

The restored version on the DVD and Blu-Rays are both missing the line from Pike "you were like a wild little animal" during the picnic scene. It is on the unrestored version, however.

The Blu-Ray also has the opening shots of the Enterprise in black and white, even though the titles are in color. Even when the ship "dives" to reveal the bridge, color only comes in on the yellow square up top and the bridge scenes themselves. The DVD restored print is in full color.
Old March 25 2014, 04:45 PM   #37
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

(There were cuts made in this sequence even before the pilot was screened for the NBC suits. Right after the leering bald guy says "Almost like secret dreams a bored ship captain might have," there's an abrupt edit on the soundtrack.)
http://www.startrekhistory.com/cagepage.html

Scroll down...
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 02:23 AM   #38
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

scotpens wrote: View Post
Some of the other cuts, IIRC:

Just before the Orion slave girl illusion, the Keeper remarks: "A curious species. They have fantasies they hide even from themselves."

That line was actually "spoken" by the second Talosian. In the color DVD version of The Cage, it's been misattributed to the Keeper and correspondingly raised in pitch. Easy mistake to make when they don't move their lips.

Two lines that don't appear in either the color or the color/B&W restoration:

BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 04:26 AM   #39
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post

I've never heard these lines. Thanks.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 03:08 PM   #40
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post

I've never heard these lines. Thanks.
Werren't those two lines in the televised "Menagerie"?
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 03:26 PM   #41
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

mb22 wrote: View Post

Werren't those two lines in the televised "Menagerie"?
I wouldn't think so, because then they would automatically have been included in restored versions of The Cage.
Old March 27 2014, 04:16 PM   #42
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Not necessarily. The "wild little animal" line is in The Menagerie but not in the restored versions of The Cage on DVD or Blu-Ray.
Old March 27 2014, 04:45 PM   #43
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Not necessarily. The "wild little animal" line is in The Menagerie but not in the restored versions of The Cage on DVD or Blu-Ray.
That's true, but in The Menagerie wasn't the "wild little animal" line spoken during a "shown on the viewscreen" process shot, as opposed to appearing in fullscreen? That could have made a difference if they were editing around it. Or maybe the error was made when they were adding in the line about "A curious species..." and accidentally omitted Pike's adjacent line in the process.

If I had my DVD of The Menagerie with me, I'd just check it now instead of speculating about all this...

Last edited by BoredShipCapt'n; March 27 2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old March 27 2014, 04:53 PM   #44
Redfern
Commodore

Funny, when Pike used that description, one gets the impression he compared her to a timid and delicate doe or fawn. At least, that's what I thought from the way he said it. But when the Talosians "pick up" on this, into what do they change Vina? A savage "wild cat", something that would devour the "timid little doe"...and Pike for that matter...and not in a nutritional sense!

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 05:07 PM   #45
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Redfern wrote: View Post
Funny, when Pike used that description, one gets the impression he compared her to a timid and delicate doe or fawn. At least, that's what I thought from the way he said it. But when the Talosians "pick up" on this, into what do they change Vina? A savage "wild cat", something that would devour the "timid little doe"...and Pike for that matter...and not in a nutritional sense!

Sincerely,

Bill
The Talosians may have found some Freudian thingy in Pike's mind that was sublimating a "wildcat" image into a more acceptable image of a helpless wild creature, thus causing him to "hide his fantasies even from himself." That's assuming that in the TOS universe Freud was "right."