The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Tower of Babel.
Outstanding 15 23.44%
Above Average 29 45.31%
Average 19 29.69%
Below Average 1 1.56%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2014, 09:41 PM   #226
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: ENT: Tower of Babel by C. L. Bennett Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
First, Maras being secretly smart after all. I'm torn between loving it (partly for going even further with the Orions' thematic selling point, the odd interplay between subtlety, manipulation and scheming, and direct control, raw sexuality and crudity) and feeling a bit bummed, in that I liked the clueless twit that she pretends to be (then again, she seems to appreciate what the idea of Maras-the-child means to Navaar, so I guess she sort of sees my point there. The character/persona has her appeal). I understand what Christopher has said about feeling that the Maras we were given in book one was a cop-out to avoid having to create three fleshed-out characters, and I suppose in the long run she's more fun this way, if only because seeing the other sisters fall for the same scheme that is (sort of) the Orion ruling lineages' whole shtick to begin with is amusing.
My main concern was that the stupid sexpot is something of a misogynistic stereotype, and I didn't want to play into that.
Fair enough. Best to avoid certain character templates unless there's a good reason for them, and I suppose the context is one where you'd want to exercise some caution.

In pointless trivia news, I liked the rather obscure continuity point regarding Tellarites' poor handling of microgravity. That came up once or twice (no more than that) in SCE; nice to see it retained here.
Actually that's completely by accident. I didn't remember that SCE had established that as a Tellarite trait. At least, not consciously.
I can't find the exact reference(s), but I do recall something in at least one of the Corps of Engineers stories involving Dr. Lense noting that Tellarites don't handle low gravity very well. (Presumably Tev is doing something engineery in a spacesuit).
Old May 12 2014, 10:47 PM   #227
Daddy Todd
Captain

This was a very pleasurable beach read during my stay in Sint Maarten. Hope to have something as fun next year.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 12:22 AM   #228
indianatrekker26
Captain

Hey, Chris, I have a question for you. Is it easy to jump into your Rise of the Federation books, without having read any of the other Enterprise books?
I've never been a big Enterprise fan, i haven't even watched the whole series, and as i said, i've read none of the post-series books. But i am a huge fan of all your books. I love how you mix in science and character development. For all i know, your books could increase my interest in the Enterprise TV series.

Last edited by indianatrekker26; May 17 2014 at 12:38 AM.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 12:37 AM   #229
Christopher
Writer

^Rise of the Federation is designed to be a new beginning, a distinct series in its own right. It does spoil key events from the preceding four post-finale books, but its storylines aren't dependent on those events.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 12:44 AM   #230
indianatrekker26
Captain

^Rise of the Federation is designed to be a new beginning, a distinct series in its own right. It does spoil key events from the preceding four post-finale books, but its storylines aren't dependent on those events.
awesome. I plan to dive into this series. Between that and all the other trek reading i'm doing. I've sporadically read the Post-Nemesis books over the years, but never all of them. I started with the "A Time to,,," series, and have been chugging forward from that point.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 08:25 AM   #231
Mage
Commodore

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
Hey, Chris, I have a question for you. Is it easy to jump into your Rise of the Federation books, without having read any of the other Enterprise books?
I've never been a big Enterprise fan, i haven't even watched the whole series, and as i said, i've read none of the post-series books. But i am a huge fan of all your books. I love how you mix in science and character development. For all i know, your books could increase my interest in the Enterprise TV series.
I didn't read the Romulan War novels, and between Christopher's explaining and Memory Beta, I don't feel I missed anything. Martin's Romulan War novels have gotten so many bad reviews, and that coupled with my own experience with Martin's solo-work have made me decide not to invest my hard earned euros into them. If I can ever pick them up second hand for a few bucks somewhere, maybe I will. But right now, gimme Christopher's work with Enterprise any day.
Old May 20 2014, 05:19 AM   #232
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

I liked this book. I appreciated the way Bennett created a complex multispecies Rigelian community out of the multiple conflicting references to Rigelians (Chelons, Vulcanoids, and others, to say nothing of the Colonies). It was nice world-building.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 12:47 AM   #233
voyager1
Lieutenant

Christopher,
I just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed this book. I think some of the amazon reviews are a little harsh about the book being hard to follow. It was no harder then any of the other Enterprise relaunch books.
voyager1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 07:59 PM   #234
flandry84
Captain

A dealer of narcotics named Charlemagne?

Get along,kid.
Old May 23 2014, 08:17 PM   #235
Christopher
Writer

flandry84 wrote: View Post
A dealer of narcotics named Charlemagne?

Get along,kid.
Sorry, what? I don't understand the connection. I just wanted a flamboyant name in the vein of Cyrano Jones or Cervantes Quinn.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 08:30 PM   #236
flandry84
Captain

There is a Steely Dan song called "Kid Charlemagne".
The songs meaning is as usual with SD,a little ambiguous,but it seems to me that he(kid c) is a dealer.

Some coincidence.
Old May 26 2014, 03:39 AM   #237
Braxton
Fleet Captain

I have very much enjoyed the two Rise of the Federation novels but I feel the endings are a bit rushed in closing the main story. Wouldn't it be better to have more debate about Rigel joining the Federation? It seems that everything has ended far too neatly. What's done is done, but I do feel that maybe there could have been more exploration in to it? What I do like is showing the Federation wants to expand and add new members, and they are pursuing that agenda quickly. It is a good avenue to go down. The growing pains will be real, but perhaps it should be slowed down a little bit? Personally, I don't think that Rigel should have joined so quickly. Yes, the Federation helped expose all this scheming but it seems that there should still be some hesitation and more cooperation before actually joining. It all seems to be a little too fast, but perhaps the future novels in this series will help explain this.

One piece I did enjoy quite a bit was the Rigelians having the same experience as that of the Vulcans in regards to interfering in other races, particularly less advanced races. More humans are starting to see this as well. I have a feeling they will be a stronger voice for such a non-interference policy than the Vulcans.

Overall this was a good book, I'd say it was Average though, mainly because of some of the pacing and conclusion to parts of the story. Maybe the books need to be a little longer? I'm not sure, I am not an author, simply being curious.

Braxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 11:00 AM   #238
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Braxton wrote: View Post
One piece I did enjoy quite a bit was the Rigelians having the same experience as that of the Vulcans in regards to interfering in other races, particularly less advanced races. More humans are starting to see this as well. I have a feeling they will be a stronger voice for such a non-interference policy than the Vulcans.
I hadn't considered that; very good point, Braxton. The eventual implementation of the Prime Directive is one of those things we're perhaps getting little preludes to. In general, the way the Federation builds itself and how each of its early members contributes to that is something I'd be very interested in seeing. I hope Rigel's contributions are followed up on in later books.

Braxton wrote: View Post
Overall this was a good book, I'd say it was Average though, mainly because of some of the pacing and conclusion to parts of the story. Maybe the books need to be a little longer?
I pretty much agree - there's so much to explore here, it can feel a little "rushed" and so slightly disappointing.
Old May 26 2014, 06:44 PM   #239
Reanok
Commodore

Ditto I think the books work better when they more time to wrap up certain story arcs.Christopher mentioned in an interview Uncertain Logic will be a longer length book and will be dealing with the planet Vulcan. There's a interview at Trekcore where he mentions the next few Enterprise books.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 07:09 PM   #240
J. Lester
Fleet Captain

View J. Lester's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to J. Lester Send a message via AIM to J. Lester Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Lester Send a message via Yahoo to J. Lester

I just finished reading Tower of Babel, and I thought it was very engaging. I look forward to Christopher's next work.