IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Rate "What Are Little Girls Made Of?"
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 4 13.33%
6 6 20.00%
7 9 30.00%
8 9 30.00%
9 1 3.33%
10 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 19 2014, 09:39 PM   #16
Redfern
Commodore

Re: Episode of the Week : What Are Little Girls Made Of?

I just love it whenever Ted Cassidy spoke, particularly when he mentioned the "Old Ones", his creators. Mogg, what a VOICE! When he finally remembered (archive retrieved?) the "equation" that would allow him to kill (obviously, what we consider Asimov's "3rd Law" got priority in his society), you knew to "Watch out!!!"

I just wished William Ware Theiss designed something for Ted that did not resemble my grandmother's peach colored housecoat. It kinda' diminished Ruk's menace.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 11:13 AM   #17
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Really average episode. 6 out of 10.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 12:10 PM   #18
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Redfern wrote: View Post
I just wished William Ware Theiss designed something for Ted that did not resemble my grandmother's peach colored housecoat. It kinda' diminished Ruk's menace.

I've never put that thought into words, but yes. Ruk should have had something tough-looking, like a black tunic and trousers. He should never have been dressed like the clown in Pagliacci.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 02:01 PM   #19
Timo
Admiral

Oh, dunno. If this episode can make peach and pink look menacing, all the more glory to it...

OK, enough of this crap. Would post say this for a woman? Don't say it for a gay man.
Statistically speaking, and hereabouts, the percentage of size queens in men is way higher than in women - close to 100% in my experience. So there's certain appropriateness in the choice of "victims" in the humor.

It's difficult to fathom how this thing could have been accidental. Was it a decision approved, and snickered at, by the director and others involved?

In any case, a solid 8, with the issues detracting from perfection already mentioned above: certain actors were brilliant, others much less so.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 04:57 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post

I've never put that thought into words, but yes. Ruk should have had something tough-looking, like a black tunic and trousers. He should never have been dressed like the clown in Pagliacci.
Why? Kind of defeats the purpose of showing differing cultures and species if you're just going to dress them up in what humans consider appropriate.
Old March 20 2014, 06:23 PM   #21
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

I never had an issue with his outfit, I felt it built him up impressively. But I did notice it being much more colorful in HD. It's more muted on smeary VHS.
Old March 20 2014, 10:19 PM   #22
feek61
Captain

I would rank this one as a 6. Nothing spectacular (except of course Andrea)
Old March 21 2014, 01:23 AM   #23
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Why? Kind of defeats the purpose of showing differing cultures and species if you're just going to dress them up in what humans consider appropriate.
Well, I can see that side now that you mention it. I'm just not happy with the outfit Ruk got.

Timo wrote: View Post
It's difficult to fathom how this thing could have been accidental. Was it a decision approved, and snickered at, by the director and others involved?
I say there's no chance it was deliberate. My theory is that the prop maker used some primitive foam-spraying technique that didn't give him much control over the finished product. The faux stalactite ended up looking familiar entirely by accident.

I just can't explain why they went ahead and used it. It was awkward to hold and obviously had no heft, so it wasn't menacing. When the prop came in late and it was so ridiculous, the director should have improvised. I would have had Kirk glance around and pick up a crowbar. You can find them in most caves.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 01:40 PM   #24
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

I say there's no chance it was deliberate. My theory is that the prop maker used some primitive foam-spraying technique that didn't give him much control over the finished product. The faux stalactite ended up looking familiar entirely by accident.
But I could definitely see them watching the dailies and noticing - in horror - what Kirk was holding. It was too late to reshoot, so they hoped no one would notice.

I just can't explain why they went ahead and used it. It was awkward to hold and obviously had no heft, so it wasn't menacing.
Much like the boulder Kirk dropped on the Gorn. Which was probably the same boulder Spock got pinned with on Taurus 2.

I would have had Kirk glance around and pick up a crowbar. You can find them in most caves.
"It was left here by the old ones, the ones who made us, yes...."
Old March 21 2014, 02:32 PM   #25
Warped9
Admiral

This is not really a simplistic "robots are evil" story. There are actually some very advanced ideas presented in this story, ideas way beyond what the average viewer of the time could consider even remotely plausible.

Today we are talking of possible copying your mind and downloading it into an artificial construct. Corby's line of being able to transfer one's very soul into an android duplicate pretty much nails it. The android could think of himself and be near indistinguishable from human.

The evil part of the story is Corby thinking everyone should automatically want this. And he plans on secretly replacing people, supposedly without their consent.

The evil is not in what Corby can do---it actually could have positive applications---the evil is in how he plans to start doing it. But imagine if this option were available for someone like Christopher Pike who is otherwise doomed to a life entombed in a immobile shell---would he take the option?

Last edited by Warped9; March 21 2014 at 05:55 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 09:02 PM   #26
Elvira
Vice Admiral

AtoZ wrote: View Post
I always loved the spinning Lazy Susan idea for making an android

I just wished William Ware Theiss designed something for Ted that did not resemble my grandmother's peach colored housecoat.
Could have put him in just a loin cloth, I think Ted could have made it work.

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 09:41 PM   #27
Redfern
Commodore

Hmm, what IS the story behind the turntable replicator?

What prompted the production to opt for this rather than, oh, say, a pair of transparent tubes or upright slabs and using a lapse dissolve, maybe enhanced with a matted optical effect, of the "Play-Doh" figure turning into Kirk? Who actually suggested it?

If nothing else, it was certainly distinctive!

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 10:15 PM   #28
Warped9
Admiral

Hmm, what IS the story behind the turntable replicator?

What prompted the production to opt for this rather than, oh, say, a pair of transparent tubes or upright slabs and using a lapse dissolve, maybe enhanced with a matted optical effect, of the "Play-Doh" figure turning into Kirk? Who actually suggested it?

If nothing else, it was certainly distinctive!

Sincerely,

Bill
That would be an interesting thing to know. From a contemporary Trek standpoint I could envision a device that could scan Kirk and replicate a duplicate. And from there copying and downloading the mind.
Old March 22 2014, 12:23 AM   #29
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
This is not really a simplistic "robots are evil" story. There are actually some very advanced ideas presented in this story, ideas way beyond what the average viewer of the time could consider even remotely plausible.

The evil is not in what Corby can do---it actually could have positive applications---the evil is in how he plans to start doing it. But imagine if this option were available for someone like Christopher Pike who is otherwise doomed to a life entombed in a immobile shell---would he take the option?
I'd give people of the time a little more credit. I could easily see a similar idea being used on The Twilight Zone (if indeed it wasn't)....

T'Girl wrote: View Post

Now that has me wanting to see Sherry Jackson strapped in the device...same dress code as Kirk, of course....
Old March 22 2014, 02:37 AM   #30
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

Solid 7

Sherry Jackson gets a 10

Ted Cassidy is a great Baddie

Always thought this episode looked somehow "different" to the rest, The Empath also strikes me the same way, something to do with the sets, the production design, just something I cant really put into words.
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote