Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old March 16 2014, 08:59 AM   #1
YARN
Fleet Captain

In a Mirror Darkly: A Critique?

There's something striking about this two-parter. It is ridiculous, overblown, and rather... ...dumb.

The episode ditches strumming guitar earnest tones of "Long road" (the most despised opening music in all of Trek) and replaces it with macho sounding fare with dynamic military images in the background. Things go bang! Indeed, the two-parter is filled with a lot of pew-pew! action and the characters are simple and action-oriented.

The episode feel like a critique of fan-service, even as much as it caters to it. It functions as a guilty pleasure, but clearly does not aspire to be anything more than a guilty pleasure. This was fun as a change of pace, but you couldn't sustain a series with dialogue.

Enterprise failed, but this episode seems like the series making a case for its own virtues. Sure, Archer is stupidly earnest and plucky (like an oversized human version of his Beagle), but consider what might have been... ...surely plucky Archer is better than the MacBeth version? If so, we might be inclined to reappraise the virtues of the regular show.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 12:25 PM   #2
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: In a Mirror Darkly: A Critique?

In A Mirror Darkly may be overrated, I'll grant you, but what I really hated was the inclusion of that shitty-assed Playstation-looking Gorn. You know it's bad when the original series version was actually more believable and threatening ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 03:12 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I was very disappointed by it. I never clicked with any of the mirrorverse NX01 crew and thus didn't give a toss what happened to them.

I wish they'd been able to get Shatner to play an aged mirror-Kirk in the Prime universe, as originally planned. Or did a "Tomorrow's Enterprise" -type thing where the regular crew get to explore the TOS Enterprise.

I did love the First Contact intro, though. That was fantastic.
Old March 16 2014, 04:04 PM   #4
t_smitts
Commander

The twisted and chaotic mirror universe itself (assassinating your superiors to get ahead) has never made much sense, but I don't think it's really meant to.

I was highly dubious when I heard "Enterprise" was doing a mirror universe story, because DS9, in my opinion, went to that particular well WAY too many times. I was really well done, and yes, bringing back the Connie Defiant and putting the cast in OS uniforms is pretty blatant fan service, but is it really any more guilty of that than, say "Trials and Tribble-ations"?

Other than the extremely lame shot of Kelby being pulled to his death (re-watch that scene and you'll understand), I really have no complaints. Yes, the CG Gorn may be a bit dated, but can't you say the same about the dude in a suit in "Arena"?

I would hope, had the series continued, they would've had the good sense to keep this a one-time outing (though I get the impression they wouldn't have), but as a stand-alone two-parter, it's just a hell of a lot of fun. Not every episode has to have the depth of "Duet" or "Cogenitor". You can treat yourself to a sugary dessert like this once in a while.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 04:20 PM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I loved IAMD, but an even better opening credits sequence would be this:

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 10:15 PM   #6
publiusr
Commodore

I loved the episode myself--great to see the Planet of the Titans asteroid base--even though they called it Tholian.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 11:02 PM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I've made no secret of the fact that Vaughn Armstrong is my favorite actor of all time, and it's episodes like this that only serve to reinforce this view. I totally cheered when his character (Maximilian Forrest!!! ) willingly stayed behind on the ISS Enterprise to sacrifice himself so that his crew could get away. It just showed that even in the mirror universe, there were some people who still acted with courage and honor.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 07:17 PM   #8
daedalus5

I disliked Enterprise, but loved this episode. The whole series was starting to improve and become enjoyable for me by this point, where, sadly, it was cancelled. I loved the premise and seeing the Constitution class in action. I was also pleased to see Bakula being able to act and stretch in the role. I'm a big QL fan and was disappointed by the somewhat bland reactions he gave in the series and what he brought to the role. If only there was a Season 4 set entirely in the mirror universe!
Old March 26 2014, 03:02 PM   #9
Richard Baker
Commander

publiusr wrote: View Post
I loved the episode myself--great to see the Planet of the Titans asteroid base--even though they called it Tholian.
That and after all these years we finally get a chance to see a Tholian properly.
I could have done without the entire Gorn hiding in the Jefferies Tubes thing and spent that time at the end of the episode seeing what the Defiant could really do.
Matching the location of the bodies from the TOS episode was a nice touch.

I do wish the Mirror NX looked more heavily armed though, like the Warship Voyager in 'Living Witness'
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Warship_Voyager
The NX we have seen before was constrained by Earth technology being held back by the Vulcans- since the Terran Empire had access to all the ship should have reflected that a bit more I think.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 05:46 PM   #10
billcosby
Commodore

I consider this 2 parter to be the frosting on the cake of season 4.
I was so impressed with how they handled the 'evil' versions of themselves, I would like Enterprise less as a whole without IAMD.

Last edited by billcosby; March 27 2014 at 04:46 PM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 02:48 PM   #11
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

I would have enjoyed this more if it were a single part episode and not one of the final episodes of the series. We had so little time left with this crew – and nobody expected a 5th season – so spending two weeks in an alternate universe bugged me.

Everyone did a pretty good job, but Bakula was really far too over the top. I honestly find it to be his worst performance in the series, where he was usually rock solid. Not one of my favorite episodes, obviously.
Old March 27 2014, 03:39 PM   #12
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Isn't Over the Top a defining trait of basically anything MU-related though, at least when it comes to the principals?

I loved the episodes. Would have been curious to see more of this timeline's development, though I think I might have preferred single episodes going forward.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 04:21 PM   #13
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

daedalus5 wrote: View Post
I disliked Enterprise, but loved this episode. The whole series was starting to improve and become enjoyable for me by this point, where, sadly, it was cancelled. I loved the premise and seeing the Constitution class in action. I was also pleased to see Bakula being able to act and stretch in the role. I'm a big QL fan and was disappointed by the somewhat bland reactions he gave in the series and what he brought to the role. If only there was a Season 4 set entirely in the mirror universe!
Agree. Season 4 finally got it right.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 04:25 PM   #14
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
Isn't Over the Top a defining trait of basically anything MU-related though, at least when it comes to the principals?
Normally, but if you look at many of the others in the cast, they were more subtle. Balkula was bursting blood vessels doing the smallest things. He was apparently trying to out-Shatner Shatner. At least he was having fun....
Old March 29 2014, 03:37 AM   #15
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I enjoyed the episode(s), but the problem was that it just whetted my appetite for something I knew would never happen: a new series set in the original series time frame. Maybe it's just the wistful old-timer in me...but it sure felt nice, for the first time in a long time, I couldn't wait for next week's episode.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote