Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 16 2014, 02:24 PM   #31
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: Season 3 is a great season

urbandefault wrote: View Post
...Melvin Belli and the little girl who cries in everything she's in...
Lucy van Pelt never cried.
Old March 16 2014, 07:53 PM   #32
CrazyMatt
Captain

urbandefault wrote: View Post
"Doomsday" (William Windom's 'Don't you think I know that?!').
May the ghost of Matt Decker haunt your dreams!

Old March 17 2014, 01:09 AM   #33
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

Season 3 isn't that bad.

There are some clunkers, but Seasons 1 and 2 had some clunkers as well.

'The Enterprise Incident' has to be my favorite. And, yes it's because of Joanne Linville.

She oozes sexiness, toughness, and respect.

Commander Tal is one of those Romulan characters that add to the mystique of said race. Just the way his character is lit, the way he's filmed, and the mannerisms adds to the mystery and exoticness(?). Hell, even the curly hair seems to be something applicable to Romulan males, like the bowl hairstyle is to Vulcan males.

Overall, what 'Amok Time' and 'Journey to Babel' did for Vulcans, 'Enterprise Incident' and 'Balance of Terror' did for Romulans.

I hated how they - the Romulans, and even the Vulcans - were changed during the Berman era. Giving props to J.J. Abrams, his Romulans were a bit more 'alive' (especially after the depictions in the Berman era) and we even saw a long-haired, blonde Romulan woman (e.g. Nero's wife, albeit a small recreation). The Romulans actually looked and were mysterious and sexy...rather than weird, stiff, boring.

I'm digressing...

I'm sure there are others from Season 3 I like. For instance:

*For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky. (A good McCoy episode, and great music for that particular episode).

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; March 17 2014 at 01:35 AM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 01:19 AM   #34
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

"And the Children Shall Lead" and "The Savage Curtain" do not work for me, or they've worn out their welcome after decades of settling for them, but otherwise I find almost the whole third year highly watchable.

My favorite third season eps (in production order):

- "Spock's Brain"

- "The Paradise Syndrome"

- "Elaan of Troyius"

- "The Lights of Zetar"

- "Requiem for Methuselah"

They all happen to have female guest stars I find highly attractive. Also, they all benefit greatly from their music scores. The first three have their own original scores and the final two are tracked, but they're all a pleasure for me.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 01:43 AM   #35
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post

My favorite third season eps (in production order):

- "Spock's Brain"

- "The Paradise Syndrome"

- "Elaan of Troyius"

- "The Lights of Zetar"

- "Requiem for Methuselah"

They all happen to have female guest stars I find highly attractive. Also, they all benefit greatly from their music scores.
Very understandable...
Old March 17 2014, 01:41 PM   #36
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Which shows how well the series was scored and spotted. Episodes like "For the World is Hollow," "Lights of Zetar" and "Requiem" (with the exception of the new Brahms pieces) were all tracked with library music and scores from other episodes. Yet very often the tracked music works insanely well in episodes it wasn't specifically written for. The third season has a much more somber feel because of the music. "Spock's Brain," for example, has a very dark score and is tracked a great deal throughout the season.
Old March 18 2014, 02:42 AM   #37
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Which shows how well the series was scored and spotted. Episodes like "For the World is Hollow," "Lights of Zetar" and "Requiem" (with the exception of the new Brahms pieces) were all tracked with library music and scores from other episodes. Yet very often the tracked music works insanely well in episodes it wasn't specifically written for. The third season has a much more somber feel because of the music. "Spock's Brain," for example, has a very dark score and is tracked a great deal throughout the season.

Speaking of "Spock's Brain," I wish Fred Steiner had recorded an unused, expanded version of "Spock's Fugue." How amazing would that be?
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 07:32 AM   #38
CrazyMatt
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
It has a few great episodes, but for the most part I find its reputation to be well earned. The scripts aren't as tight and the budget just isn't there.
Agreed. Bob Justman said they were almost reduced to doing radio shows due to the impacts of the vastly reduced budget.

Still there were a handful of very good episodes (The Tholien Web, Elaan of Troyus, The Enterprise Incident, Day Of the Dove) and a bunch of stinkers (Spock's Brain, And The Children Shall Lead, Plato's Stepchildren, The Way To Eden). But mostly, the third season episodes were BORING.
Old March 18 2014, 12:55 PM   #39
Warped9
Admiral

TOS could be bad, but it was never boring. Disappointing, yeah. Boring, no.

***** Excellent = 4 episodes = 16.6%
“Elaan Of Troyius”
“The Enterprise Incident”
“Is There In Truth No Beauty?”
“The Tholian Web”

**** Good = 8 episodes = 33.3%
“Spectre Of The Gun”
“The Empath”
“Day Of The Dove”
“Plato’s Stepchildren”
“That Which Survives”
“The Cloud Minders”
“The Way To Eden”
“Requiem For Methuselah”

*** Fair = 6 episodes = 25%
“The Paradise Syndrome”
“For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky
“Let That Be Your Last Battlefield”
“The Lights Of Zetar”
“The Savage Curtain”
“All Our Yesterdays”

** Poor = 3 episodes = 12.5%
“Spock’s Brain”
“The Mark Of Gideon”
“Turnabout Intruder”

* Bad = 3 episodes = 12.5%
“And The Children Shall Lead”
“Wink Of An Eye”
“Whom Gods Destroy”

In the end Season 3 isn't as bad as what seems to be the generally held perspective. At least half of the episodes are respectable and if you include the watchable ones as well that's three quarters of the season is at least acceptable. That is still a damned good batting average. And while I don't have the hard numbers compared yet no TNG season did much better than that.

It's also interesting that Season 3's budget constraints didn't really make itself apparent as often as might be believed. Even under budgetary constraints quite a few episodes still put on a good show. And there was sufficiently abundant creativity and resourcefulness apparent throughout much of the season.

Where Season 3 fell down was in terms of careless thinking and careless execution. Things went south when ideas weren't thought through enough and the general execution felt rushed just to get the show in the can. A little more attention and overall polish could have gone a long way.
Old March 18 2014, 01:40 PM   #40
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post

I think you hit the nail on the head here. The reason we still talk about TOS after all this time is because the show was never boring. The various spin-offs could be very entertaining but bad episodes were simply bad and have little to no rewatch value.
Old March 18 2014, 07:59 PM   #41
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post

Speaking of "Spock's Brain," I wish Fred Steiner had recorded an unused, expanded version of "Spock's Fugue." How amazing would that be?
I would love a "concert arrangement" of that. Just a little something to put on the album.
Old March 18 2014, 08:08 PM   #42
Vandervecken
Commander

***** Excellent = 4 episodes = 16.6%
“Elaan Of Troyius”
“The Enterprise Incident”
“Is There In Truth No Beauty?”
“The Tholian Web”

**** Good = 8 episodes = 33.3%
“Spectre Of The Gun”
“The Empath”
“Day Of The Dove”
“Plato’s Stepchildren”
“That Which Survives”
“The Cloud Minders”
“The Way To Eden”
“Requiem For Methuselah”

*** Fair = 6 episodes = 25%
“The Paradise Syndrome”
“For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky
“Let That Be Your Last Battlefield”
“The Lights Of Zetar”
“The Savage Curtain”
“All Our Yesterdays”

** Poor = 3 episodes = 12.5%
“Spock’s Brain”
“The Mark Of Gideon”
“Turnabout Intruder”

* Bad = 3 episodes = 12.5%
“And The Children Shall Lead”
“Wink Of An Eye”
“Whom Gods Destroy”
Just goes to show how different tastes are. "Wink of an Eye" is one of my fave 3rd season eps. I just like it. I know I should put "Whom Gods Destroy" in the bad list, as it's a poor man's "Dagger of the Mind," but, but, Yvonne Craig dancing!

And I can't stand E"laan of Troyus" and "Is there in Truth No Beauty". Especially the second. Plot? We don't need no stinking plot!
Old March 18 2014, 11:30 PM   #43
gottacook
Commander

It's also interesting that Season 3's budget constraints didn't really make itself apparent as often as might be believed. Even under budgetary constraints quite a few episodes still put on a good show. And there was sufficiently abundant creativity and resourcefulness apparent throughout much of the season.
Yes, but budgetary constraints were the likely reason that only one season 3 episode, "The Paradise Syndrome," was able to shoot on location, versus at least three episodes in each of the previous two seasons. We would not look upon the first two seasons so kindly if they'd had to endure the same constraint on location shooting.

The other thing missing from season 3, but not yet remarked upon here, was levity. There wasn't one moment of levity in any of the 24 episodes, unless you construe "Spock's Brain" as intentionally humorous.
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 11:57 PM   #44
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Well there was a concerted move away from the looseness of second season and back to more first season sensibilities. And I applaud them for that. And it's become known that GR was not fond of the jokier elements of second season. GR also purportedly didn't really care much for "The Trouble With Tribbles."
Old March 19 2014, 02:42 AM   #45
gottacook
Commander

Even the first season had moments of levity within some of the most serious episodes; this isn't strictly a matter of changes between seasons 2 and 3. For example: Spock's various statements of what the odds against them were (and Kirk's reactions to them) in "Errand of Mercy"; the Chinese rice-picker story in "City on the Edge of Forever." And the less heavy episodes were full of moments that could raise a smile: "I'm going to have a son" in "Tomorrow is Yesterday"; "I'm about to start devoting my whole life to it" in "Mudd's Women"; etc. (I'm leaving out "Shore Leave" and "Squire of Gothos" as they were often overtly comic.) There is, as far as I can remember, no such moment in any season 3 episode, assuming again that "Spock's Brain" is unintentionally funny.
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote