CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 15 2014, 11:28 PM   #16
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Season 3 is a great season

urbandefault wrote: View Post
"Battlefield" (really, it's just ridiculous)
My heart is tinged with sadness!
Old March 15 2014, 11:34 PM   #17
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

I do believe that's the first time I've ever seen someone class "The Doomsday Machine" as "unwatchable." Different strokes...
Old March 15 2014, 11:41 PM   #18
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
How would you have preferred he die in that episode?
You seem to be misunderstanding my objection. I don't object to the death. Earp gunning him down before the big Gunfight at OK Corral was fine. I just didn't like the love triangle they set up to achieve it. A romance subplot was unnecessary to the story.
Old March 16 2014, 01:07 AM   #19
Lance
Commodore

For all the criticism Season 3 gets, some of Star Trek's (TOS's) most memorable hours of television are in that season. It isn't a write-off by any stretch of the imagination, although the decreased budget does begin to show after the third or fourth 'bottle show' in a row. My point is, the scripts themselves were often as strong as ever, maybe even stronger in some places than past seasons had been.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 02:16 AM   #20
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
My favorite is "Spectre of the Gun", due to the complete unreality of the whole experience. I like the Melkot, though they're just a variation on Talosians. The crew sees the artificiality of the setting just as we do, they know it can't be real, but they have to deal with it on its own terms. I think the episode's effectiveness would have been diminished if they could have afforded to shoot on the backlot and use full interior sets.
Yeah, the surreal nature of the setting for the characters really makes the episode all the more memorable and interesting. I wonder if any sci-fi shows today could get away with such ... minimalist (if that's the proper term) sets?
Old March 16 2014, 02:32 AM   #21
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

...Melvin Belli and the little girl who cries in everything she's in...
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 02:44 AM   #22
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

How would you have preferred he die in that episode?
You seem to be misunderstanding my objection. I don't object to the death. Earp gunning him down before the big Gunfight at OK Corral was fine. I just didn't like the love triangle they set up to achieve it. A romance subplot was unnecessary to the story.
Yes, I get you didn't like the "mushy" stuff. But if you were writing the episode, how would you have killed Chekov? It's not enough to say "Earp gunning him down was fine." What would Earp's motive be, if not for his objection to Chekov talking to the girl?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 02:55 AM   #23
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
It has a few great episodes, but for the most part I find its reputation to be well earned. The scripts aren't as tight and the budget just isn't there.
Season 1 and Season 2 was much better overall.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 03:17 AM   #24
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

It also calls into question why the Melkotians would have included that bit in the first place. Remember, it was she who instigated things, not Chekov.

Other than that, fine episode. It's amazing that in those days, what with westerns being so popular on tv, that it took Trek three years to use a western motif in a story!

Shatner seemed to be unusually good in this episode. Many subtle things, such as the look in his eyes during the "Why here? Why now?" scene was great. You could just see Kirk searching vainly for an answer which wasn't coming. I even like the way he played the "Beautiful specimen." scene regarding the antique gun. And of course his pleading with the Sheriff was among my favorite Kirk scenes ever!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 03:23 AM   #25
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Yes, I get you didn't like the "mushy" stuff. But if you were writing the episode, how would you have killed Chekov? It's not enough to say "Earp gunning him down was fine." What would Earp's motive be, if not for his objection to Chekov talking to the girl?
Earp wouldn't have needed much motivation, he's a Melkotian puppet. He already doesn't like the Clantons, so his motivation could have been as simple as Chekov accidentally bumping into him on the street or looking at him the wrong way. An experienced television writer would have had dozens of ways to bump him off without making them romantic rivals.

I'm not a writer, I've never claimed to be a writer, so it doesn't matter how I would have written a different scene.
Old March 16 2014, 03:51 AM   #26
WisTrekFan
Lieutenant Commander

I like a lot of the third season episodes. Two of my top five favorite TOS episodes are from the third season - "The Enterprise Incident" and "The Tholian Web" It would have been interesting to see how many of the third season episodes and the overall look of the show would have been different if there had been a bigger budget.
WisTrekFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 04:23 AM   #27
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

There were a few good episodes of Season 3, but generally speaking, the quality of the season was not that good.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 10:11 AM   #28
Push The Button
Captain

evangelist6589 wrote: View Post
You won't find this in the USA, but in some third world countries ordinary workers are looked down upon while the intellectuals are looked upon as being superior.
You should visit my workplace sometime. The caste system is alive and well in the U.S. tech industry, trust me.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 12:24 PM   #29
urbandefault
Captain

evangelist6589 wrote: View Post
Season 3 might not be as "critically acclaimed" as the previous seasons, but I like it.

One of my favorites is Spock's Brain (gasp). Another is Turnabout Intruder (double gasp). As bad as they are, they are full of Trekness.

My list of unwatchable episodes includes "Children" (Melvin Belli and the little girl who cries in everything she's in), "Battlefield" (really, it's just ridiculous), "Doomsday" (William Windom's 'Don't you think I know that?!'). "The Enterprise Incident" is only saved by the tension between Spock and the Romulan babe. There are others, but I get tired of typing.

Seriously though, I love TOS. All of it. Even the stuff I don't like is still better than a ton of other stuff that I like even less.

It's all good.
Doomsday? Is that a season 2 episode?
Yes. The point was that I like some episodes that most people hate, and I don't like some that I never in my wildest imaginations thought could be fan favorites.
Old March 16 2014, 12:39 PM   #30
urbandefault
Captain

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
"Battlefield" (really, it's just ridiculous)
My heart is tinged with sadness!
Hmmm. Well, to borrow a phrase, I'm of two minds about that.

BigJake wrote: View Post
I do believe that's the first time I've ever seen someone class "The Doomsday Machine" as "unwatchable." Different strokes...

My introduction to William Windom was in "My World and Welcome To It." I did not see "Doomsday" until well after the sitcom was canceled. Seeing Windom's portrayal of Decker didn't set right, and I've never been able to get past it. It ruined "Doomsday" for me.