Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 18 2014, 11:27 AM   #16
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

I don't recall her choosing to leave ST:TNG in the first place. The rumor I remember had something to do with her posing in Playboy, and it not being approved of by the showrunners. But maybe that was just a rumor.

Edit: It WAS just a rumor. Also, I had no idea she was Bing Crosby's granddaughter!

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...layboy-spread/
Old March 18 2014, 11:52 AM   #17
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Denise Crosby was just incredibly beautiful and she could act. By the end of Season One of TNG, though, Yar had been reduced to eyecandy, hanging in the back, like Uhura had been in TOS. She was given trite, almost unnecessary dialogue like "Torpedoes firing, Captain." "Hailing frequencies open, captain." Essentially, Yar lost her importance to the series, and leaving made perfect sense, if she didn't have enough clout to change things, which she apparently didn't.

Except for Sela's rather unorthodoxed origins, she wasn't a particularly engaging character. Denise Crosby also didn't seem to ever get a handle on playing her, either. She imparted a sort of ice queen demeaner to the character, a sort of bitchiness, but it was never convincing enough. It's such a shame because I feel that Denise Crosby was important to STAR TREK's legacy. She helped give TNG its own identity and that wasn't easy, when they were still in STARFLEET, still using a spaceship called ENTERPRISE and still had a young studd in a command position, onboard. But Sela was not the answer to how she'd been wronged, earlier.

Yar shouldn't have been killed off is what should've happened. She should've been offered a unique opportunity and transferred off the ship. Or maybe even resigned to do something important, but oh, no ... Denise Crosby DARED tell The Great Bird of the Galaxy that STAR TREK wasn't good enough for her, so he got his little revenges in, as he may. And I don't think this served the series, or the franchise, at all ...
Old March 18 2014, 02:48 PM   #18
bbailey861
Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
... Denise Crosby DARED tell The Great Bird of the Galaxy that STAR TREK wasn't good enough for her, so he got his little revenges in, as he may. And I don't think this served the series, or the franchise, at all ...
Or Denise, either, for that matter.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 03:31 PM   #19
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Let that be a Lesson to you good people:

Never - OK? - NEVER tell your employer that you're not satisfied working there. Alright? Never let those words escape your lips. Swallow hard and choke them down. Whatever it is you have to do. But don't ever give such sentiments utterance ... not even on your personal site!
Old March 21 2014, 12:59 AM   #20
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Echoing a lot of the statements in here, I'm glad she never made it onto DS9.

No show is going to have itself figured out midway through Season 1. Sure, she was a bit player, but the possibilities were endless for the character.

When she was given something to do, she was wooden and painful to watch. When she failed at having a movie career, she tried to go back to the franchise she had spited and for some incomprehensible reason, they let her come back as Sela.
Old March 21 2014, 04:21 PM   #21
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Are you suggesting that Denise employed the ever-dreaded Casting Couch™? That she slept with someone to get the role of Sela?
Old March 21 2014, 10:40 PM   #22
Ro_Laren
Commodore

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
Clark Terrell wrote: View Post
As most of you already know, Denise Crosby (a.k.a. the actress that played Lt. Tasha Yar on TNG) created the character of Sela and convinced TPTB to incorporate Sela in TNG episodes. It seems to me that Denise Crosby could have also convinced TPTB to have Sela appear on DS9 as well, especially during the Dominion War episodes. Has anyone ever heard anything about this? Of course, you could say that Sela lost her standing in the Empire as a result of the snafu seen in Unification II. Perhaps she was sent to jail (or executed) as a result of her failures in that episode.
I remember hearing rumors that she advocated for some sort of role during the Dominion War. She also tried to get a part in Nemesis. I don't know much more than that, though.
Wow, I never knew that she tried to get Sela a part in Nemesis. There was a way for her to be in the movie and to satisfy all of those that don't like Sela... they could have put her in the Senate room to be assassinated with all of the Senators! I'm not saying they had to make her a Senator, but she could have been giving a mlitary report to them or in a role a post-Unification demoted guard!
To be honest, I always liked Sela. Don't get me wrong, the character isn't perfect, but I kinda always liked Sela (despite the fact that it's her fault that her mom is dead & the fact that she hates humans because of her mommy issues). Yesterday's Enterprise is my favorite TNG episode and therefore I found the idea of Sela interesting.

Just had another thought about a potential Sela scene. They could have given her a brief cameo during the Dominion War during one of the huge battle scenes. We could have seen her briefly on the viewscreen talking to Sisko or just heard her voice over the Comm before her ship was destroyed by the Dominion!
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 12:19 AM   #23
Robert Comsol
Commodore

To be honest, I always liked Sela. Don't get me wrong, the character isn't perfect, but I kinda always liked Sela (despite the fact that it's her fault that her mom is dead & the fact that she hates humans because of her mommy issues). Yesterday's Enterprise is my favorite TNG episode and therefore I found the idea of Sela interesting.
Sela? In a manner of speaking she apparently encouraged Ron Moore and David Carson to relocate events of "Yesterday's Enterprise" into a parallel universe (instead of just a changed time line). But it's obviously not a popular idea if you check out reactions in the corresponding Enterprise-C threads ("TNG" and "fan art").

I found the character interesting. When she first shows up on the Enterprise-D in "Redemption II" she is all cocky and snippy. But then she talks about her mother and suddenly she becomes insecure and nervous (great acting by Denise Crosby, IMHO). And then she claims that all the humanity in her has vanished, but Picard reacts with a sympathetic smile.

I for one would have liked to see more of her and additional interaction with humans. She was quite the opposite of Spock - him trying to get in touch with his human half, she trying to get rid of it. Plenty of story potential we unfortunately never saw realized.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 02:20 PM   #24
dub
Fleet Captain

I bet when Denise heard about the MU episodes of DS9, she thought, "aw man...why didn't I think of that for me during the TNG years?!"
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 05:17 AM   #25
Ro_Laren
Commodore

dub wrote: View Post
I bet when Denise heard about the MU episodes of DS9, she thought, "aw man...why didn't I think of that for me during the TNG years?!"
That would have been interesting to see Denise & the rest of the TNG cast in a MU episode. I know there are TNG MU books, but episodes would have been fun too. As a matter of fact, it would have been neat to have seen some TNG characters (even a minor character like Barclay) in some of the DS9 MU episodes. Kinda like they did with Mirror Tuvok!
Old March 24 2014, 12:10 PM   #26
2takesfrakes
Commodore

The Next Generation is a Thinking Man's STAR TREK. And avoiding the Mirror Universe and all of its cheesiness was most easily achieved. It also helped give it its own identity, in a way. No ... it's best that TNG never embarked on such a venture. The Next Generation has class ... style ... and sophistocation. And really, isn't that just the way we like it?
Old March 25 2014, 06:26 PM   #27
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ Well, that's the way I like it, too. Just read an older and long interview with Ronald Moore where he was lamenting that they had to circumvent Gene Roddenberry's "flawless mankind of the future" rule with ingenuity, because both Michael Piller and Rick Berman had been upholding this.

Frankly, having seen nuBSG, I think Roddenberry was a fox, expecting the TNG writers to circumvent his rule but at least trying to accomplish the best results doing so.

Bob
Old March 25 2014, 08:42 PM   #28
Worf'sParmach
Commander

She may have made the wrong choice, but Michael Dorn should be sending her a Thank You card every year.

And I actually think she would have been a good addition to Nemesis.
Old March 26 2014, 10:43 AM   #29
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
She may have made the wrong choice, but Michael Dorn should be sending her a Thank You card every year.
He should indeed, but so should we!

Bob
Old March 27 2014, 05:10 AM   #30
Ro_Laren
Commodore

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
Can you imagine Tasha Yar on DS9 instead of Worf?