RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,424
Posts: 5,506,807
Members: 25,130
Currently online: 613
Newest member: wilpatbenthe3

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 15 2014, 05:42 AM   #1
Ro_Laren
Commodore
 
Ro_Laren's Avatar
 
Location: The Badlands
Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

As most of you already know, Denise Crosby (a.k.a. the actress that played Lt. Tasha Yar on TNG) created the character of Sela and convinced TPTB to incorporate Sela in TNG episodes. It seems to me that Denise Crosby could have also convinced TPTB to have Sela appear on DS9 as well, especially during the Dominion War episodes. Has anyone ever heard anything about this? Of course, you could say that Sela lost her standing in the Empire as a result of the snafu seen in Unification II. Perhaps she was sent to jail (or executed) as a result of her failures in that episode.
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 05:52 AM   #2
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: USS Reliant
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
As most of you already know, Denise Crosby (a.k.a. the actress that played Lt. Tasha Yar on TNG) created the character of Sela and convinced TPTB to incorporate Sela in TNG episodes. It seems to me that Denise Crosby could have also convinced TPTB to have Sela appear on DS9 as well, especially during the Dominion War episodes. Has anyone ever heard anything about this? Of course, you could say that Sela lost her standing in the Empire as a result of the snafu seen in Unification II. Perhaps she was sent to jail (or executed) as a result of her failures in that episode.
I remember hearing rumors that she advocated for some sort of role during the Dominion War. She also tried to get a part in Nemesis. I don't know much more than that, though.
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 05:56 AM   #3
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

I feel sorry for her. She made a wrong choice that's she's regretted ever since.

I liked her as Tasha Yar. I completely dislike her as Sela. She just cannot play that character at all! Zero credibility.
__________________
Top Gear America: Jay Leno, Adam Carolla, Tim Allen. DONE!
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 06:11 AM   #4
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral
 
Ho Ho Homeier's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's place
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

There's an old saying, "There are no small parts, only small actors."
__________________
Curly: Oh, you hit Santa Claus. Just for that, no toys! --Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Ho Ho Homeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 10:26 AM   #5
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

She got her wish in Star Trek Online, where she plays a major role as Sela in the Romulan story arc and also got another take on Yesterday's Enterprise' Tasha Yar at least with her voice.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 12:08 PM   #6
od0_ital
Admiral
 
od0_ital's Avatar
 
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

Clark Terrell wrote: View Post
... She also tried to get a part in Nemesis. I don't know much more than that, though.
I remember when NEM was still in production, the page for it at IMDB.com listed everyone who was alive and had worn pointy ears for the franchise as bein' in the movie.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that she would call someone whenever something about Romulans came up, but I don't think she could have kept up with the cast of DS9. I do wish she had shown up in NEM, though, since it was the last TNG movie. And it would have supported my own theory that the Romulans were workin' off of the alternate reality intelligence provided by Tasha Yar after she was taken prisoner thanks to the events of TNG 'Yesterday's Enterprise'. Why else would they have targeted the captain of deep space exploration specifically if they didn't think he would become the captain of the most powerful warship in Starfleet?
__________________
od0's bucket od0's facebook
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 05:11 PM   #7
Sleigh Ride
Commodore
 
Sleigh Ride's Avatar
 
Location: A Circle Has No End; HIjol
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
I feel sorry for her. She made a wrong choice that's she's regretted ever since.

I liked her as Tasha Yar. I completely dislike her as Sela. She just cannot play that character at all! Zero credibility.
Agreed all around...

...my memory was she did a "McLean Stevenson" and went off believing she was gonna make movies...

...at least she made a little lemonade...
__________________
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 07:41 PM   #8
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

I wouldn't have minded some Sela appearances in DS9 but the story never really had an opportunity to bring in her character. All the Romulans in DS9 either called for a character who could be sympathetic, someone who they could credibly invite to a Federation base, or somebody who could credibly collaborate with the Federation.

The one opportunity they might have had was the GQ prison camp with Bashir, Worf and Garak.

Sela's hard to bring in without her being a villain and in DS9 the rommies weren't the villains.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral
 
Ho Ho Homeier's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's place
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

They could have used her as the "It's a FAAAAKE!" guy whose ship blows up.
__________________
Curly: Oh, you hit Santa Claus. Just for that, no toys! --Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Ho Ho Homeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 09:12 PM   #10
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

I never liked Sela. She was a smarmy bitch who seemed to take pleasure in the fact that she basically caused her own mother's death. I'm glad we never saw her again.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 10:38 PM   #11
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
I feel sorry for her. She made a wrong choice that's she's regretted ever since.

I liked her as Tasha Yar. I completely dislike her as Sela. She just cannot play that character at all! Zero credibility.
She sucked in both parts. Sela was a moronic idea of a character, played poorly.
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 12:51 PM   #12
Gul Re'jal
Commodore
 
Gul Re'jal's Avatar
 
Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

I didn't hate her, but I can't say I liked her either. Yar was so artificial and unconvincing. Sela could be an interesting character, but Crosby's thin and delicate voice combined with not such a good acting just failed to deliver a possibly dreadful and dangerous Romulan. She was flat and unconvincing too.

Replacing Senator Vreenak - as someone suggested - would be a great loss for the episode. McHattie was awesome and Vreenak is one of my favourite Rommies.
__________________
Archer: "You're going to drown my dog?! "
Phlox: "Only for an hour, Captain... "
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 09:39 PM   #13
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' on Ligon II...
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

As much as I am a Tasha Yar fan, I hated Sela. Not someone I loved to hate, but someone I hated due to being annoying.
__________________
#BlackLivesMatter/#CrimingWhileWhite/#icantbreathe
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 10:11 PM   #14
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral
 
Ho Ho Homeier's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's place
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

I'll guess that the only reason Crosby came up with the Sela idea was because she didn't want to consider coming back as a Yar 25 years older wearing a ton of age makeup.
__________________
Curly: Oh, you hit Santa Claus. Just for that, no toys! --Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Ho Ho Homeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 12:46 AM   #15
Ro_Laren
Commodore
 
Ro_Laren's Avatar
 
Location: The Badlands
Re: Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

Clark Terrell wrote: View Post
Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
As most of you already know, Denise Crosby (a.k.a. the actress that played Lt. Tasha Yar on TNG) created the character of Sela and convinced TPTB to incorporate Sela in TNG episodes. It seems to me that Denise Crosby could have also convinced TPTB to have Sela appear on DS9 as well, especially during the Dominion War episodes. Has anyone ever heard anything about this? Of course, you could say that Sela lost her standing in the Empire as a result of the snafu seen in Unification II. Perhaps she was sent to jail (or executed) as a result of her failures in that episode.
I remember hearing rumors that she advocated for some sort of role during the Dominion War. She also tried to get a part in Nemesis. I don't know much more than that, though.
Wow, I never knew that she tried to get Sela a part in Nemesis. There was a way for her to be in the movie and to satisfy all of those that don't like Sela... they could have put her in the Senate room to be assassinated with all of the Senators! I'm not saying they had to make her a Senator, but she could have been giving a mlitary report to them or in a role a post-Unification demoted guard!
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.