Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
A+ 35 42.68%
A 28 34.15%
A- 10 12.20%
B+ 6 7.32%
B 2 2.44%
B- 0 0%
C+ 1 1.22%
C 0 0%
C- 0 0%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 2 2013, 02:34 AM   #1
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Gravity - Review and Discussion Thread

Currently on RottenTomatoes it's at 97%

I'm seeing this tomorrow, as I'm rather excited about it. I'll decide where I'll see it. And then maybe again in imax over the weekend, if I can get myself down to Sydney for it.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 03:58 PM   #2
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Gravity - Review and Discussion Thread

I was spoiled about the ending in today's newspaper review. But I'm still going to see it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Can someone do me a favor...can someone post a non-spoilery review that can let me know the following:

Should we see it in 3-D and/or IMAX (is the combo the best, or if either one really enhances the movie).

Is it OK for an 8 year old to see? The PG-13 rating says (to me) that it's OK for a teenager to see it by themselves, but a parent should be present for a younger child. As an example -- the Avengers movie i think was a great family film (for us). We can't get babysitting, so just wondering if it's worth taking my child.

Thanks!
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 07:31 PM   #4
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

I'm bummed... I really want to see this, but the family is cold on the prospect.. I'm not much of lone movie-goer, so I guess this will have to wait... I don't really have any friends I see movies with... Blah.. Boo Hoo me..
Old October 3 2013, 01:27 AM   #5
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
Should we see it in 3-D and/or IMAX (is the combo the best, or if either one really enhances the movie).
Absolutely. I'm seeing it 3D this afternoon. I could attended another screening this morning, but going for the biggest screen in Newcastle. I wish there was an IMAX here, but thinking of heading to Sydney for that.
Old October 3 2013, 02:03 AM   #6
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I'm going to see it this weekend for sure. I've been looking forward to this film really since I heard Alfonso Cuaron. The great reviews have just been increasing my anticipation. Seriously, if anyone has not seen Children of Men, go fix that right freaking now.
Old October 3 2013, 06:51 AM   #7
sojourner
Admiral

I read there is a bit of bad science with the resolution.
Old October 3 2013, 08:40 AM   #8
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Wow - just wow. I won't go into what happens, but it's amazing. Gonna need to see it again this weekend (hopefully), depends on how I go with tafe stuff. Maybe on Monday, with it being a public holiday here. Easily an A+. Bullock deserves an Oscar nomination for this performance.
Old October 3 2013, 10:16 AM   #9
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

ElimParra wrote: View Post
Wow - just wow. I won't go into what happens, but it's amazing. Gonna need to see it again this weekend (hopefully), depends on how I go with tafe stuff. Maybe on Monday, with it being a public holiday here. Easily an A+. Bullock deserves an Oscar nomination for this performance.
Just the nomination?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 02:55 PM   #10
chrisspringob
Commodore

Just got back from seeing it, and was incredibly impressed.

I don't think this thread belongs in SF/F though, since this movie isn't really SF/F.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 02:58 PM   #11
chrisspringob
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
ElimParra wrote: View Post
Just the nomination?
She's great, but it's a survival movie. I don't really see it as the kind of performance that's likely to win it for her. Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine is much more in the vein of a winning Best Actress performance.
Old October 3 2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Warped9
Admiral

I really want to see this, but I'm not keen on seeing it in 3D. I don't care for 3D and it can give me a headache. I'm going to inquire at my local cinema if they'll be screening a 2D version within a week or so---they've been known to do that.
Old October 4 2013, 05:37 AM   #13
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Grade: A

- It wasn't the most tense movie I've ever seen but it was pretty gripping (no pun intended) and above all, it was visually stunning. It was nice to see an entire movie with the characters right there in space and in zero gravity.

- Sandra Bullock was damn sexy. And I'm not just talking about the tank top and spandex shorts. She carried herself well as a consummate scientist and astronaut in extremis and carried the movie itself just as well as an almost one-woman show. And just the wonder of seeing her in space... Floating with no suit on... A human out of their element. You have to see the movie to appreciate what I'm talking about.

- Bad science? I'm not equipped to talk about that, but one thing did get my attention... I don't think that a fire extinguisher is strong enough to serve as thrust for a person flying through space.

- It seemed a little too convenient that the shuttle and the various space stations were close to each other and therefore easy to reach, but I guess that was necessary for the plot.

- I was wondering in which order the actors' names would appear in the billing since Clooney is a big star but Bullock was the main character. Then I saw what compromise they made. I'm seeing what they did more and more these days when the big star isn't really the lead character.

There's more I'd love to talk about but I don't want to spoil too much. Spoilerish tease ahead... All I'll say is that there's a scene where a hatch is opened when Bullock's character doesn't have her helmet on and that was something.

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
I don't think this thread belongs in SF/F though, since this movie isn't really SF/F.
I see your point, but at the same time, it does feel like the very definition of science fiction.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 06:53 AM   #14
chrisspringob
Commodore

Scaredface wrote: View Post
I see your point, but at the same time, it does feel like the very definition of science fiction.
My comment was tongue in cheek, simply because we tend to play fast and loose with what counts as SF/F here. If James Bond counts, then this should too.

However, to be serious about it, I really don't think this counts as science fiction. It's a drama set in space, but does that automatically make it science fiction? Doesn't there have to be a speculative element to the science in order for it to be science fiction? Would a movie about deep sea diving (set in the present day, with real world science) be science fiction? Would Cast Away be classified as science fiction? Would Contagion be classified as science fiction?
Old October 4 2013, 07:08 AM   #15
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Another plot contrivance…

I was reading some of the comments about the ending at the IMDb...

As for the 3D, it wasn't essential but it looked good. Fortunately it didn't have that pop-up book look.

My comment was tongue in cheek, simply because we tend to play fast and loose with what counts as SF/F here. If James Bond counts, then this should too.
Ah yeah, I seem to be taking a lot of these comments too seriously these days.

However, to be serious about it, I really don't think this counts as science fiction. It's a drama set in space, but does that automatically make it science fiction? Doesn't there have to be a speculative element to the science in order for it to be science fiction? Would a movie about deep sea diving (set in the present day, with real world science) be science fiction? Would Cast Away be classified as science fiction? Would Contagion be classified as science fiction?
Deep Sea Diving: I'd say no, unles it dealt with a truly compelling "what if" scenario.
Cast Away: No.
Contagion: I'm leaning towards yes.

With Gravity, it's a fine line. I can go either way. I don't have much to support the scifi argument outside of it feeling scifi-ish because of its "what if" scenario in a still relatively new frontier.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote