Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 14 2014, 02:16 PM   #16
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: Something I just noticed about WoK

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
See, this is what I'm saying every time this Trek continuity baggage discussion comes up. You don't NEED to know the episode Space Seed to understand the movie. All you need to know is that Kirk exiled Khan after he tried to take over the ship, and that his wife died in exile. That's it. You don't need to know any specifics.
Well, that's pretty specific for a sequel to Space Seed.

There is also no episode that shows how Kirk met Carol. Or an episode that shows how Saavik met Spock. Same thing as if Space Seed had never existed to show how Kirk met Khan.
The difference is that TWOK is a sequel to Space Seed--the movie would not exist if not for the characters and situations of that episode, unlike (then) previously unknown meetings between Carol and Kirk, or anyone else. Once you base a script on another story, you do have an obligation to connect some dots in a film catering to the TOS fanbase.
Old March 14 2014, 02:18 PM   #17
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Yeah, it wasn't necessary. Also, it reads, to me at least, a bit too much like the old comic book school of writing: "But...but you're dead! I saw you die!" "Fool! That is what I wanted you to believe..." .
It doesn't quite work without the emphasis:

BUT...
BUT YOU'RE DEAD! I
SAW YOU DIE!

FOOL! THAT IS
WHAT I WANTED YOU
TO BELIEVE...
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 02:20 PM   #18
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
See, this is what I'm saying every time this Trek continuity baggage discussion comes up. You don't NEED to know the episode Space Seed to understand the movie. All you need to know is that Kirk exiled Khan after he tried to take over the ship, and that his wife died in exile. That's it. You don't need to know any specifics.
Well, that's pretty specific for a sequel to Space Seed.
It isn't specific at all. You could even leave out the "take over the ship" part. The "wife died in exile" part didn't even happen in the episode.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 08:04 PM   #19
Shat Happens
Commander

fwiw, I hadn't seen Space Seed when I first watched STII and I enjoyed the movie fine.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 09:48 PM   #20
Kronos
Admiral

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Good thing they cut it.
No kidding, that reads as bad as some of the crud new trek has produced.
Old March 26 2014, 02:35 PM   #21
erastus25
Fleet Captain

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Only two references are made to Marla McGivers. Both indirect. One about being killed by a Ceti Eel, and the other some 55 minutes later:

"I will leave you as you left her, marooned on a dead planet."

Props to the producers for not pounding us over the heads with the exposition hammer.

There is also no episode that shows how Kirk met Carol. Or an episode that shows how Saavik met Spock. Same thing as if Space Seed had never existed to show how Kirk met Khan.

All those “Can't do this or that because the audience will be confused.“ Forget it, it's absolute bullshit. From the point of view of a newcomer, there is no fucking difference between a backstory reference to an event in a previous episode and a backstory reference to an event that has never been shown before. No difference at all.
That takes an actual well written script to pull off though.
Old March 28 2014, 03:15 AM   #22
Enterprise1701
Captain

Well, I just accept the explanation provided in Greg Cox's novel To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote