Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 12 2014, 09:49 PM   #1
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Something I just noticed about WoK

Only two references are made to Marla McGivers. Both indirect. One about being killed by a Ceti Eel, and the other some 55 minutes later:

"I will leave you as you left her, marooned on a dead planet."

Props to the producers for not pounding us over the heads with the exposition hammer.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 12:11 AM   #2
Leto_II
Commander

Re: Something I just noticed about WoK

There was at least one direct reference to Lt. McGivers in the shooting script (and was, presumably, filmed), but this didn't make it into any of the final cut(s) of the movie:

CHEKOV
Captain Kirk was your host! You repaid his hospitality by trying to steal his ship and murder him.

KHAN

(moves closer)
And I'll wager he never told you about his shipmate, the beautiful and courageous Lieutenant McGiver, who gave up everything to join me in exile. OUT OF LOVE. And see how Admiral Kirk requited her devotion -- She's dead as earth!

The wind howls in the silence. When Khan turns, his eyes are filled with tears.

KHAN
(continuing)
A plague upon you all.

He recovers his poise, and returns to them --

KHAN
(continuing)

You didn't expect to find me. You thought this was Ceti Alpha VI. Why are you here?
Old March 13 2014, 12:16 AM   #3
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Good thing they cut it.
Old March 13 2014, 02:04 AM   #4
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Yeah, it wasn't necessary. Also, it reads, to me at least, a bit too much like the old comic book school of writing: "But...but you're dead! I saw you die!" "Fool! That is what I wanted you to believe..." .
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 02:10 AM   #5
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Yeah, it wasn't necessary. Also, it reads, to me at least, a bit too much like the old comic book school of writing: "But...but you're dead! I saw you die!" "Fool! That is what I wanted you to believe..." .
Make it stop.
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 02:16 AM   #6
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

There was also a reference in a conversation between Turrell and Kirk.

Turrell: He blames you for the death of his wife.

Kirk: I know what he blames me for!
Old March 13 2014, 02:22 AM   #7
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post

Ahem...
Old March 13 2014, 02:45 AM   #8
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Clark Terrell wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post

Ahem...
Turrell, Terrell, tomato, to-mah-to.
Old March 13 2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

The art of subtly in script writing. You don't need to beat the audience around the head with information, sometime a slight tip of the hat is more than enough.
Old March 13 2014, 11:38 AM   #10
Maab
Lieutenant

Leto_II wrote: View Post
There was at least one direct reference to Lt. McGivers in the shooting script (and was, presumably, filmed), but this didn't make it into any of the final cut(s) of the movie:
Yes, it was filmed. It's in the workprint.

Best,
Maab
Maab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 11:48 AM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
The art of subtly in script writing. You don't need to beat the audience around the head with information, sometime a slight tip of the hat is more than enough.
What subtlety? They actually wrote and filmed a scene that mentions McGivers. It just didn't make the final cut of the film. Not sure how you give the writer(s) a pass for it?
Old March 14 2014, 02:08 AM   #12
Leto_II
Commander

Although, to be sure in this particular case, the screenwriter was also overseeing the film editing, so we can probably give Meyer SOME credit for nipping this one in the bud.
Old March 14 2014, 03:48 AM   #13
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Only two references are made to Marla McGivers. Both indirect. One about being killed by a Ceti Eel, and the other some 55 minutes later:

"I will leave you as you left her, marooned on a dead planet."

Props to the producers for not pounding us over the heads with the exposition hammer.
See, this is what I'm saying every time this Trek continuity baggage discussion comes up. You don't NEED to know the episode Space Seed to understand the movie. All you need to know is that Kirk exiled Khan after he tried to take over the ship, and that his wife died in exile. That's it. You don't need to know any specifics.

There is also no episode that shows how Kirk met Carol. Or an episode that shows how Saavik met Spock. Same thing as if Space Seed had never existed to show how Kirk met Khan.

All those “Can't do this or that because the audience will be confused.“ Forget it, it's absolute bullshit. From the point of view of a newcomer, there is no fucking difference between a backstory reference to an event in a previous episode and a backstory reference to an event that has never been shown before. No difference at all.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 03:55 AM   #14
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
See, this is what I'm saying every time this Trek continuity baggage discussion comes up. You don't NEED to know the episode Space Seed to understand the movie. All you need to know is that Kirk exiled Khan after he tried to take over the ship, and that his wife died in exile. That's it. You don't need to know any specifics.

There is also no episode that shows how Kirk met Carol. Or an episode that shows how Saavik met Spock. Same thing as if Space Seed had never existed to show how Kirk met Khan.

All those “Can't do this or that because the audience will be confused.“ Forget it, it's absolute bullshit. From the point of view of a newcomer, there is no fucking difference between a backstory reference to an event in a previous episode and a backstory reference to an event that has never been shown before. No difference at all.
I agree. Not everything needs loads of exposition behind it. There's no explanation for why Chekov is on Reliant or why Kirk is an admiral again after TMP, but none of these things should dampen one's enjoyment of the film. If anything, I think it's more fun to speculate on what happened between the films to get to where things stood at the outset of TWOK.
Old March 14 2014, 12:03 PM   #15
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Leto_II wrote: View Post
Although, to be sure in this particular case, the screenwriter was also overseeing the film editing, so we can probably give Meyer SOME credit for nipping this one in the bud.
People don't seem to understand how collaborative a process film is. Meyer may have cut it at the end but he still wrote and filmed the dialogue. The trim may have also come from input from someone else, like Bennett or even a studio exec.

Movies and TV aren't made in a vacuum where the writers vision comes to the screen in its original form.