Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 14 2014, 02:58 AM   #31
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Chris Pine Charged With Drink Driving

The report just says over the legal limit of .08 percent. Good judgement goes down as the level goes up, so the mistake must be determined to have been made prior to the drink.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 03:02 AM   #32
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Dammit, Chris, don't do that shit! There's no excuse for it!
He should pay a hefty fine.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 04:32 AM   #33
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'd expect that much, at the very least. Here's what Wikipedia has to match what we know of the details in Pine's case:
All persons over 0.08% BAC / 400μg/L breath (first and second offenses) - up to 3 months imprisonment and/or up to NZ$4500 fine; loss of licence for six months or more.
Old March 14 2014, 04:08 PM   #34
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Fines should be based on a percentage of income or something. For an average NZ citizen that $4500 fine is 10% of their annual income whereas for Pine that's probably considerably less.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 03:45 AM   #35
Lance
Fleet Captain

While I'm not for a minute condoing drink driving, I do think there's a difference between being slightly over the legal limit, and being complete incapacitated but getting behind the wheel anyway.

The latter behaviour IS reckless and stupid. No argument from me there.

The former... well, it ain't great, but it's a shady area. By all accounts Chris was not visibly drunk, nor did he actually drive recklessly while he was behind the wheel, so chances are possible he was in sound mind even though obviously he was mildly intoxicated. He got pulled up, he happened to read over the legal limit, and he got punished accordingly.

Like I say, there's a truckload of difference between what happened with Chris, and Justin Beiber's kind of "antics" behind the wheel of his car, which IMO truely ARE reprehensible.

Of course, in an IDEAL world, nobody should ever get behind the wheel after drinking alcohol.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 05:17 AM   #36
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Not surprised at all.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 05:01 AM   #37
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

You know something about Pine no one else knows?
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 05:20 AM   #38
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'd expect that much, at the very least. Here's what Wikipedia has to match what we know of the details in Pine's case:
All persons over 0.08% BAC / 400μg/L breath (first and second offenses) - up to 3 months imprisonment and/or up to NZ$4500 fine; loss of licence for six months or more.
Good. I've got this thing about drunk driving. It's totally preventable, but people do it anyway, and it frustrates me to no end because they put their lives, and the lives of others in danger for no reason whatsoever.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
Old March 16 2014, 06:10 AM   #39
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
cop - 'What is your name'

CP - 'my name is James Tiberus Kirk!'

*cut to Vulcan*
I am in love with this post.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 01:40 AM   #40
Khan 2.0
Commander

'Star Trek' Actor Chris Pine Pleads Guilty to DUI

Hollywood actor Chris Pine, known for playing Captain Kirk in the "Star Trek" movies, pleaded guilty Monday in a New Zealand court to a charge of drunken driving.
The 33-year-old American was fined $93 New Zealand dollars ($79) and had his New Zealand driver's license suspended for six months during a hearing at the Ashburton District Court.
Police pulled over Pine early on March 1 after he'd attended a party to mark the end of filming on the movie "Z for Zachariah," which is due for release next year. Fairfax Media reported that Pine told police he'd consumed four vodka drinks.
Police told the court that a blood test found Pine's blood-alcohol level was 0.11 percent, which is over New Zealand's legal limit of 0.08 percent.
Pine stood silently during the hearing, allowing his lawyer, Marilyn Gilchrist to enter the plea.
According to Fairfax, Gilchrist told the judge that Pine acknowledged he'd made the wrong decision to drive that night. Gilchrist said her client had suffered emotionally and professionally and that the negative publicity had put his acting contracts in jeopardy.
The judge said she accepted Pine was "entirely remorseful," Fairfax reported.
Pine appeared relaxed as he left the courtroom, stopping to sign a couple of autographs for fans who had gathered outside before being driven away.
Much of the filming of "Z for Zachariah" took place on the South Island's picturesque Banks Peninsula.
Before being pulled over by police, Pine had been at the Blue Pub in Methven with his Icelandic girlfriend, Iris Bjork Johannesdottir.
"The pub was closed to the public later in the evening and approximately 80 actors and crew attended the party, which finished at 3 a.m. on March 1," the bar said in a statement. "This was a well-controlled party, the cast and crew were friendly and it was a great night, not a wild party."
The statement said that "Chris Pine did not appear to staff to be intoxicated to a level where intervention might have been warranted."
In addition to playing Capt. James T. Kirk, Pine also played Jack Ryan in the movie "Jack Ryan: Shadow
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...y-dui-22934467

Khan 2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 02:28 AM   #41
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

A BAC of 0.11 and they said intervention did not appear to be warranted? Wow. New Zealand apparently likes to get shit-faced. Either that, or his staff were too afraid to confront him. Personally, I don't care if you're the Pope. If I see you intoxicated, and you have keys in your hand, I'm taking them and calling you a cab.
Old March 17 2014, 04:54 AM   #42
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I've paid more for a 5-over speeding ticket...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 05:42 AM   #43
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

The cost of the lawyer for him, however, dwarfs any ticket cost. Unless the studio paid for it as part of the budget if that's in the standard star contract these days.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 03:54 PM   #44
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Ovation wrote: View Post
You know something about Pine no one else knows?
Nah, it just seemed to me from how easily he was able to act as a drunkard person in the movie. And it isn't as if he is an excellent actor in the first place.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 08:35 PM   #45
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

From an article linked in another thread:

The judge at Ashburton District Court said he accepted Pine was remorseful, noting he pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity and had complied with police.

However the actor had his application for discharge without conviction declined and he was disqualified from driving for six months.

He was also ordered to pay $93 in reparations.

[...]

After his charge the actor made a large donation to CureKids – a charity which helps research children's life threatening illnesses.

His gift to the organization is said to be around four times the amount any fine the court could impose.
The fine assessed is surprisingly small, even given his full cooperation with authorities, but I sort of expected to see him make a gesture above and beyond the court-assigned penalty in the form of a charity donation or lending his name to a public-service campaign of some sort.