Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 13 2014, 05:26 AM   #16
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: Chris Pine Charged With Drink Driving

I'm really surprised this kind of story gets any attention. I do not condone driving drunk - at all - and I certainly have never done it, myself. But this is so minor an infraction, compared to all of the crazy shit celebs of his calibur are making the news for - and getting away with - all of the time.
Old March 13 2014, 05:37 AM   #17
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

scotpens wrote: View Post
The correct term is "drunk driving."
It's a term commonly used in the US, though "driving under the influence" is probably more technically "correct".

"Drink driving" sounds like you're hauling a load of Jack Daniel's.
Nonetheless, that's just what it's called in NZ and many of the other former British colonies. Perhaps you ought to appear before each of their respective parliaments and get them sorted out for us, while this thread gets back to talking about the specific incident involving Mr. Pine? (Send us a memo when you get back, letting us know how it all went.)

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
But this is so minor an infraction...
No, it's really not minor. He was stopped before he'd gone very far and (as far as the news story reports) without other incident, but a minor offense it's not, and hasn't been for quite a number of years, even in most US states.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 12:52 PM   #18
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

StarMan wrote: View Post
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...-drink-driving

Celebrated Hollywood actor Chris Pine is facing a charge for allegedly drink-driving while in New Zealand.

Pine, 33, was stopped by police apparently after leaving the Z for Zachariah wrap party, held at Blue Pub in Methven, Canterbury, early on March 1.

He allegedly failed an evidential blood test.

Pine is famous for playing Captain James T Kirk in Star Trek and Jack Ryan.

He will appear in the Ashburton District Court on Monday charged with driving with excess blood alcohol.
My family's home town, of all places. Priceless! Probably the most excitement Ash Vegas will have seen in a while.
Is that the blue pub in the picture they show in the article?

Hey do the drink driving charges transfer over to the States?
He'll only be suspended from driving in New Zealand won't he?
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 02:03 PM   #19
Lance
Commodore

I agree with 2takes, this one doesn't sound like that big a deal. The question is, how far over the limit was he? Maybe not by much. Reading between the lines of the story, it seems to me that he maybe just had a tipple or two at the wrap party, then got in his car and happened to be over the legal limit when the police pulled him up. The pub owner says that Pine did not appear intoxicated when he left, and was entirely polite, cognitive and reasonable throughout the affair. I suspect there might not exactly be 'Justin Beiber' style levels of deliberate assholery at play on this one.

(Mind you, my first thought when I read the thread title was of his father's character on CHIPS pulling him over on his motorbike: "You're DUI, son". )
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 03:37 PM   #20
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Lance wrote: View Post
(Mind you, my first thought when I read the thread title was of his father's character on CHIPS pulling him over on his motorbike: "You're DUI, son". )
Wow, I did not know they were related, or, until a quick Wiki check on his filmography, that Robert Pine has also made guest appearances on both Voyager and Enterprise.
Old March 13 2014, 04:18 PM   #21
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

The correct term is "drunk driving."
And it's "soccer," not "football."
Old March 13 2014, 05:02 PM   #22
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Levi wrote: View Post
Must be nice to be so rich you don't have to worry about breaking the law. Or, breaking the law in another country.
"Hey Cris, what are you doing tomorrow?"
"Oh, flying out to NZ for court. Probably grab lunch before coming back afterwards."
I don't think that's what's really happening in this case. He was staying in the country to film a movie already, so he's subject to the laws of the land that he's in, whatever they may be. There's nothing in the report that says or suggested that he left New Zealand after committing the crime.
Old March 13 2014, 07:51 PM   #23
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Levi wrote: View Post
Must be nice to be so rich you don't have to worry about breaking the law. Or, breaking the law in another country.
"Hey Cris, what are you doing tomorrow?"
"Oh, flying out to NZ for court. Probably grab lunch before coming back afterwards."
I don't think that's what's really happening in this case. He was staying in the country to film a movie already, so he's subject to the laws of the land that he's in, whatever they may be. There's nothing in the report that says or suggested that he left New Zealand after committing the crime.
He's supposed to appear in court on Monday, so I imagine he'll be sticking around.
article wrote:
"A 33-year old American national was stopped during a routine drink-drive operation near Methven, Mid-Canterbury, early on Saturday morning, March 1.

"He has been charged with driving with excess blood alcohol and will appear in the Ashburton District Court on Monday 17 March.
Ashburton is the next town over, about 20 miles away.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 10:37 PM   #24
JWPlatt
Commander

I believe with the NZ accent in full bloom, it's Deenk Deeving.

And correct, drunk driving is not some minor offense in any manner. Find a sober friend.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 10:53 PM   #25
Khan 2.0
Captain

in court CP shud wear his grey Starfleet dress uniform
Khan 2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 11:21 PM   #26
TheSubCommander
Captain

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I'm really surprised this kind of story gets any attention. I do not condone driving drunk - at all - and I certainly have never done it, myself. But this is so minor an infraction, compared to all of the crazy shit celebs of his calibur are making the news for - and getting away with - all of the time.
Ask the friends and families of the approximately 10,000 people killed each year in the US as a direct result of impaired drivers if DUIs are no big deal.

Someone with the cash and fame like Pine acting this reckless should be ashamed of themselves and deserve every bit of bad press they get. No excuse at all for his actions, especially when he can afford to be chauffeured around.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 11:31 PM   #27
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Assuming this is all true, all I can say is, don't drink and drive.

You don't have to do it, Mr. Pine, you've got no excuse. I hope you get all the help you need, and I'm looking forward to seeing you in the next Star Trek film.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 12:31 AM   #28
urbandefault
Captain

While I do not condone DUI, it is easy enough to do without feeling drunk. That said, I have a few questions.

What is the BAC limit in NZ?
Were the police aware that there was a party in that establishment?
Were they lying in wait for possible offenders (something that happens here frequently)?
What is the alcohol content of the beer he was drinking?

I'm not trying to make a case either way, but it's possible that the beer or whatever it was he drank was higher in alcohol content than he was used to, and he may not have felt the effects immediately. The person in the interview said that Pine did not look or act drunk. It's unfortunate, and he should not have been driving, but people make mistakes. This could have been a bad one, and I'm glad it wasn't any worse than it was.
Old March 14 2014, 02:06 AM   #29
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Driving while intoxicated is a serious offence and should be treated as such. However (and I don't know the laws in New Zealand, but I'm familiar with US and Canadian laws on the subject), the fact is the bulk of serious accidents (with or without fatalities) are the result of a minority of drivers under the influence. There is no reason why those with lower BAC readings (that are over the limit) should get off more lightly than at present but there should be differences in degree with respect to different BAC levels. A person with .08 is NOT as impaired as one who is .10, .12, etc. (and there are clearly demonstrable differences in effect between the just over the limit and higher levels). If there are different degrees of punishment for various types of homicides (as there should be), there should also be different degrees of punishment for various BAC levels (if there is an injury or fatality involved, that should be treated additively and separately). The current laws, frankly, are a lot like "zero tolerance policies" in areas like school policies or like "mandatory sentencing"--bad ideas and unethical. Again, I am not advocating reducing current punishments for those just over the limit (lest someone think I want to get my alcoholic uncle off lightly for past transgressions or something like that). But I do think those who are well above the limit deserve even more severe punishment.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 02:20 AM   #30
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Yea, agreed with the last couple posts, certainly Drinking and Driving is dangerous and bad and should carry penalties. And certainly anyone who makes as much money as a Summer Tent Pole Blockbuster Lead, should be avoiding it altogether and hiring a driver if he's gonna have even a sip in 5 hours+

However, before we sign him up for classes and judge him harshly in the Public Square, it would be helpful to know his BAC. If it's on the low end, it could be an innocent mistake, if quite a bit over, then yea, it points at more than an innocent mistake.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote