Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 18 2014, 03:43 AM   #1
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Final Fantasy XV

Tokyo Game Show started today and SquareSoft just released an awe-inspiring trailer for the long awaited installation in their flagship franchise. Now this is what you call a next generation game.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2014, 04:38 AM   #2
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Re: Final Fantasy XV

I see this trailer as proof that actual progress has actually been made in the production of FFXV.

FFXV has great graphics? Expected. Takes place on an open battlefield? Pretty much expected.

What is the gameplay like? Are you shoved down a completely linear corridor? Does the story interrupt you ever five minutes? Are the characters likable or are they whiny and angsty? Can you control your allies in battle? Does the combat have any strategy or is it focused only on cinematography? Are your chances of winning based on your tactics or just based on level? No information one way or another.

Of course I'll buy it. It's Final Fantasy. But that purchase will be more speculative and nostalgic, as I haven't really loved a Final Fantasy game since Tactics. It is possible it will be a great game. But this trailer doesn't give any information as to whether it actually is. It just makes the game slightly less mythical and more real. It convinces me the game exists and I will eventually be able to buy it. That's a good thing.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2014, 04:48 AM   #3
CorporalClegg
Admiral

It's time for Amano to retire.
Old September 18 2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Apparently your whole party is just a bunch of young guys? Wow, that's real progressive. Great job, Squeenix.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2014, 03:51 PM   #5
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Apparently your whole party is just a bunch of young guys? Wow, that's real progressive. Great job, Squeenix.
Every single Final Fantasy game for the last 30 years has had a decent sized female cast and strong female characters. The previous game's main character, Lightning, a female by the way, has become the de facto mascot of the franchise for the past five years and has received her very own spinoff and loads of merchandise (consoles with her on the front, novels, etc.).

But you're going to call Square sexist for a 2 minute trailer for a game that's still years away. Yeah, that's reasonable.

Old September 18 2014, 04:29 PM   #6
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander

It's looks like a road trip game, kinda like Stand by Me a movie about 4 boys going to see a dead body. I don't see a problem with that movie at all since it's a coming of age story.

So why call out that video game, when there tons of movies with an all male main cast?

Not to mention FFX-2 had an all female cast.
Cjohnson1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2014, 04:45 PM   #7
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Every single Final Fantasy game for the last 30 years has had a decent sized female cast and strong female characters. The previous game's main character, Lightning, a female by the way, has become the de facto mascot of the franchise for the past five years and has received her very own spinoff and loads of merchandise (consoles with her on the front, novels, etc.).
"Every single" is pushing it, but it's true, they used to be better in this regard.

But you're going to call Square sexist for a 2 minute trailer for a game that's still years away. Yeah, that's reasonable.
I didn't call them sexist, of course. In any case, it was also based on the information here:

The currently known playable characters are Noctis Lucis Caelum (ノクティス・ルシス・チェラム Nokutisu Rushisu Cheramu?, voiced by Tatsuhisa Suzuki), the game's main protagonist and prince of Lucis blessed with power from an incident in his youth;[2][9][11][23][24] Gladiolus Amicitia (グラディオラス・アミシティア Guradiorasu Amishitia?, voiced by Kenta Miyake), a brother-like figure to Noctis and son and heir to a family that has guarded Lucis's royalty for generations;[2][12][24] Ignis Stupeo Scientia (イグニス・ストゥペオ・スキエンティア Igunisu Sutupeo Sukientia?, voiced by Mamoru Miyano), a military tactician and childhood friend of Noctis;[2] Prompto Argentum (プロンプト・アージェンタム Puronputo Ājentamu?, voiced by Tetsuya Kakihara), a friend of the prince from a lower social class;[2][12][24] and Cor Leonis (コル・リオニス Koru Rionisu?, voiced by Hiroki Touchi), a man who accompanies the younger group and act as their guardian and Noctis loyal supporter.[2][24]
"Currently known" is the operative phrase here and I am willing to be more positive later, if it turns out there are playable female characters in the game.

Cjohnson1701 wrote: View Post
It's looks like a road trip game, kinda like Stand by Me a movie about 4 boys going to see a dead body. I don't see a problem with that movie at all since it's a coming of age story.

So why call out that video game, when there tons of movies with an all male main cast?
Uh, because this is a thread about a video game so randomly discussing a movie would make no sense?

Not to mention FFX-2 had an all female cast.
Wow, a game from over 10 years ago. What an excellent point.
Old September 18 2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Uh, because this is a thread about a video game so randomly discussing a movie would make no sense?
Stories are stories. If there's a legitimate reason to have an all male cast in a movie, then there's a legitimate reason to have an all male cast in a video game.

Although I don't think Final Fantasy XV will be one of them. I'd be shocked if the game doesn't include a few playable female characters.

Old September 18 2014, 04:58 PM   #9
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

Kelthaz wrote: View Post

Stories are stories. If there's a legitimate reason to have an all male cast in a movie, then there's a legitimate reason to have an all male cast in a video game.
"Legitimate" is the wrong word. Any story can include women (or anyone, really) should those crafting it wish to put forth the effort.

Although I don't think Final Fantasy XV will be one of them. I'd be shocked if the game doesn't include a few playable female characters.
I guess we'll see.
Old September 18 2014, 06:25 PM   #10
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

I can't recall the last time a Final Fantasy game had a main party that consisted of only four people, let alone all men. I'm sure Noctis will have more party members than just his three childhood friends.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2014, 08:56 PM   #11
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Well, let's get back to the game itself.

Kotaku has an interesting article breaking down the game's combat system. I thought that Final Fantasy XII had the best combat system in the series (outside of Tactics of course), so I'm really excited to see an evolution of that system. I really hope that this game lives up to the hype.

Old September 18 2014, 09:45 PM   #12
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Also I don't see how every single fictional story that comes out is on the line to carry the progressive flag with its every creative decision. I care more about the characters being interesting than I do about their genders. All male, all female, whatever, just so long as they don't whine and angst too much.
Old September 19 2014, 07:27 AM   #13
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

Well, with an all-male cast, I hope we at least get to see a good degree of super-Japanese, awkward bromance with lots of nose-bleeding*.

*Persona 4, anyone?
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2014, 03:11 PM   #14
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Also I don't see how every single fictional story that comes out is on the line to carry the progressive flag with its every creative decision. I care more about the characters being interesting than I do about their genders. All male, all female, whatever, just so long as they don't whine and angst too much.
It's pretty pathetic that including women as playable characters is even considered "progressive" in the first place.

Women are more than half the population. Seems like the very least one could do is avoid marginalizing them.
Old September 19 2014, 06:19 PM   #15
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I agree it's a good thing when there are strong women in games. Just, they should include strong women because they had a great idea that called for a strong woman, not out of some feeling of obligation to fight the good fight.