Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old March 18 2014, 05:12 AM   #1
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

The fantastic acting of TOS

If you have seen the newer Star Trek series and the newer movies which seem to be all about action and special effects, and compare them to the excellent acting of TOS you will throw up and not want to watch the newer stuff. In fact I saw Darkness Falls once and that was enough. I do not like what they did to the characters nor how they portrayed them. I also despised the terrible acting. Its a shame newer movies in general do not have good acting and cannot compare to the older stuff. This is not only true with Trek, but also Twilight Zone. TZ had excellent acting and excellent scripts, but compare that to the newer Twilight Zone, and newer sci-fi stuff and in general they pale in comparison.
Old March 18 2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The fantastic acting of TOS

Since when did TOS have excellent acting? I mean, the main cast was good enough, but what about all those horrible guest actors?
Old March 18 2014, 07:22 AM   #3
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Runetouch wrote: View Post
. . .what about all those horrible guest actors?
Which ones? Gary Lockwood? Sally Kellerman? Paul Carr? Alfred Ryder? Frank Overton? Michael Strong? Ted Cassidy? William Windom? Mark Lenard? Jane Wyatt? James Daly?

I'm not saying any of those were bad, but when you use generalizations, it doesn't mean anything.
Old March 18 2014, 07:26 AM   #4
CrazyMatt
Captain

Runetouch wrote: View Post
Since when did TOS have excellent acting? I mean, the main cast was good enough, but what about all those horrible guest actors?
Specifics, please. Which horrible guest actors are you referring to?
Old March 18 2014, 07:30 AM   #5
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

To the OP and first response: congratulations, your posts have both earned the coveted Ray J Stare.

Last edited by BigKrampus; March 18 2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old March 18 2014, 08:06 AM   #6
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

evangelist6589 wrote: View Post
If you have seen the newer Star Trek series and the newer movies which seem to be all about action and special effects, and compare them to the excellent acting of TOS you will throw up and not want to watch the newer stuff. In fact I saw Darkness Falls once and that was enough. I do not like what they did to the characters nor how they portrayed them. I also despised the terrible acting. Its a shame newer movies in general do not have good acting and cannot compare to the older stuff. This is not only true with Trek, but also Twilight Zone. TZ had excellent acting and excellent scripts, but compare that to the newer Twilight Zone, and newer sci-fi stuff and in general they pale in comparison.
Why would I throw up? Can I not stomach new things? Is the appearance of handsome, talented young actors something to which I am allergic? Why would I throw up?

I mean, seriously? I'm a huge fan of TOS, but I enjoyed the new movies. I have this defect, apparently, where I can treasure the past, but also embrace the future. I call it "an open mind!" And it has to have that exclamation point, because I'm okay with the idea of sentences ending with exclamation points.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Old March 18 2014, 08:29 AM   #7
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

J. Allen wrote: View Post
And it has to have that exclamation point, because I'm okay with the idea of sentences ending with exclamation points.
What?! I am offended, somehow, by your ability to be okay with such a thing. Offended!
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
Old March 18 2014, 08:40 AM   #8
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
And it has to have that exclamation point, because I'm okay with the idea of sentences ending with exclamation points.
What?! I am offended, somehow, by your ability to be okay with such a thing. Offended!
I started vomiting because of your offense.

Old March 18 2014, 08:44 AM   #9
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

In some countries, that's considered a compliment.

Last edited by BigKrampus; March 18 2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old March 18 2014, 08:50 AM   #10
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

BTW - when was TNG ever about 'action'? They spent most of the time either in the Conference Lounge listening to Picard drone on; or on the bridge listening to Data spew some 'Particle of the Week' nonsense to fix a problem they'd been debating in the Conference Lounge for 40 minutes.

TOS was much more action oriented then any of the more modern Star Trek series, including DS9 and ENT. If you don't think TOS was very action oriented, you didn't really pay attention. Even in the episodes with a lot of discussion; there was always an action sequence or two; and the few episodes that were the exception to the above were few and far between.
Old March 18 2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Why would I throw up? Can I not stomach new things? Is the appearance of handsome, talented young actors something to which I am allergic? Why would I throw up?
You? The only reason I can imagine is getting a little too carried away with one of those handsome, talented young actors and accidentally triggering your gag reflex.
Old March 18 2014, 09:00 AM   #12
Santa Claus
Believe

BigJake wrote: View Post
In some countries, that's considered a compliment.
I can't do anything right!

Captrek wrote: View Post
You? The only reason I can imagine is getting a little too carried away with one of those handsome, talented young actors and accidentally triggering your gag reflex.
You know I now love you for this, right?

Old March 18 2014, 09:28 AM   #13
Captrek
Rear Admiral

If you were hoping to use me to trigger your gag reflex, I'm afraid I have to decline. But thanks.
Old March 18 2014, 09:36 AM   #14
Santa Claus
Believe

If you were hoping to use me to trigger your gag reflex, I'm afraid I have to decline. But thanks.
Nah, I wouldn't ask. It would be impolite.

Old March 18 2014, 10:44 AM   #15
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

evangelist6589 wrote: View Post
...In fact I saw Darkness Falls once and that was enough..
Into Darkness. It's tough to take your criticism seriously if you can't even get a two work title right.
Closed Thread