Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old April 22 2014, 07:24 PM   #76
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Αu Contraire!

iPadCary wrote: View Post

Jeez, what's with all the primeTrek loathing around here?
Been a fan since 1975 and it's not "loathing", it's burn-out for me. I am ready for a new take, a new universe.
Old April 22 2014, 08:24 PM   #77
iPadCary
Ensign

Re: Should the next Star Trek series have a major war?

Melakon wrote: View Post
No, I don't know perfectly well what you mean.
Are you referring to ENT episode "Twilight",
or the "Twilight" vampire novel and film series?
The novel & junk.
And I do mean "junk".

Melakon wrote: View Post
I don't know anything about the Twilight books or the Hunger Games books or their respective films.
Sorry for the presumption.

Suffice it to say that garbage is aimed at all of the thick-eyeglass frame-, sweater cuff over the wrist-wearing,
ZERO musculature-having emo subhumans.
You know: the group that ALL media is geared towards now?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Been a fan since 1975 and it's not "loathing", it's burn-out for me.
I am ready for a new take, a new universe.
OK, sorry, sgain, for the presumption.
My mistake.

But, come on: what is it, exactly, that you're "burnt-out" on?
Don't you miss Picard & Co.?
I sure do ....
Especially that in the aftermath of the debilitating Dominion War,
the Fed's a much different animal now ....

And you mention you want a "a new take"?
Like what?
Another TNG-esque jump forward, or something else entirely?
iPadCary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 08:38 PM   #78
BillJ
Admiral

But, come on: what is it, exactly, that you're "burnt-out" on?
Don't you miss Picard & Co.?
I've got 178 episodes and 4 movies featuring Picard and Company sitting on my shelf. So any time I "miss" them all I have to do is pop in a disc. Or read one of the dozens and dozens of novels that feature the characters.

Another TNG-esque jump forward, or something else entirely?
In order of preference...

1. An entirely new sci-fi space drama that has nothing to do with Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate or any other series.

2. A TV reboot featuring Kirk and Spock. Even with the Abramsverse films they still have the least amount of screen time outside of Enterprise.

3. A movie series that features all new characters in a rebooted universe.

I just have little desire to revisit the Berman-era series/characters.
Old April 22 2014, 09:02 PM   #79
Melakon
Admiral

thick-eyeglass frame-, sweater cuff over the wrist-wearing, ZERO musculature
You just described my physical appearance.
Old April 22 2014, 11:06 PM   #80
iPadCary
Ensign

I've got 178 episodes and 4 movies featuring Picard and Company sitting on my shelf.
So any time I "miss" them all I have to do is pop in a disc. Or read one of the dozens and dozens of novels that feature the characters.
I'm talking about new adventures.

In order of preference...
1. An entirely new sci-fi space drama that has nothing to do with Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate or any other series.
???
I thought we were talking Trek.

2. A TV reboot featuring Kirk and Spock.
Even with the Abramsverse films they still have the least amount of screen time outside of Enterprise.
Oh, God no ....
ENOUGH WITH THE REBOOTS.

3. A movie series that features all new characters in a rebooted universe.
See above. lol

I just have little desire to revisit the Berman-era series/characters.
... and that's a real pity, it is.
It's what makes Trek what it is now.
I think you & I have nothing further to discuss, Sir.

And by the way, no one's answered my question as to why,
in the cutthroat world of TV ratings, if VOY was doing so poorly, it was kept on the air for SEVEN YEARS?
Old April 22 2014, 11:26 PM   #81
BillJ
Admiral

And by the way, no one's answered my question as to why,
in the cutthroat world of TV ratings, if VOY was doing so poorly, it was kept on the air for SEVEN YEARS?
I think two things were at play:

One, the network was owned partially by Paramount.

Two, did you see what else UPN actually had on their schedule during those seven years?

As an aside, for me Star Trek will always be Kirk and Spock first and foremost. They were the characters I spent my formative years with. I also tend to think they are the most popular Star Trek characters with general audiences which is why Paramount brought them back when deciding to do Star Trek again.
Old April 23 2014, 02:14 AM   #82
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

2. A TV reboot featuring Kirk and Spock.
Yes, please. It's much more appealing to me as a Star Trek fan to go back to the source material instead of watching a spinoff of a spinoff of a spinoff of a sequel.
Old April 23 2014, 03:26 AM   #83
iPadCary
Ensign

Two, did you see what else UPN actually had on their schedule during those seven years?
What?!?
You mean "Shasta McNasty" and the Andrew Dice Clay vehicle "Hitz"
weren't the be all & end all prime examples
of the Golden Age Of Television? lol
Point taken!

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Yes, please.
It's much more appealing to me as a Star Trek fan to go back to the source material instead of watching a spinoff of a spinoff of a spinoff of a sequel.
Look, can you guys explain to me, as succinctly as possible,
just what is so bloody unappealing to a continuation of the story in a post-Dominion War (pDW) Trek universe?

It would not be the same old story, as if anything is wrong with that.
No, it'd open up a myriad of possibilities ....
* would the Fed stay intact after a war weary population has seen what havoc a major political affiliation could bring down on thier collective heads?
* what ship, and why, would be the focus of a pDW TV show?
* will a Worf-led First City maintain thier current détante with the Fed or will he be deposed by a hardliner High Council faction who,
spurred on by the opportunity to take advantage of the pDW disarray, are eager to the return of the pre-Khitomer Accord cirumstances?
* and on & on ....

Don't all of these possible/plausible storyline directions
sound positively delicious?
Old April 23 2014, 07:13 AM   #84
BigJake
Vice Admiral

iPadCary wrote:
will a Worf-led First City maintain thier current détante with the Fed or will he be deposed by a hardliner High Council faction who, spurred on by the opportunity to take advantage of the pDW disarray, are eager to the return of the pre-Khitomer Accord cirumstances?
Uh... what's a "First City"?
Old April 23 2014, 07:17 AM   #85
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

....not really.

As for your question -

just what is so bloody unappealing to a continuation of the story in a post-Dominion War (pDW) Trek universe?
The opinion I can give you is that new Star Trek has been off the air for close to 10 years, and it will likely be longer before the next series is produced. I think it would be best to take the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) approach and stick to the core concepts of Star Trek without adding the extra stuff the spinoffs bolted to the side (Star Trek +______). Star Trek's been gone a while, so when it returns, I think people will expect Star Trek, not Klingons Arguing About Honor For An Hour or Boring Space Politics or Storylines That Were Wrapped Up When DS9 Ended But We're Picking Up Anyways For Reasons.

As for timeline/universe/whatever - I really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

BigJake wrote: View Post
iPadCary wrote:
will a Worf-led First City maintain thier current détante with the Fed or will he be deposed by a hardliner High Council faction who, spurred on by the opportunity to take advantage of the pDW disarray, are eager to the return of the pre-Khitomer Accord cirumstances?
Uh... what's a "First City"?
The capital city of Qo'nos, I think?
Old April 23 2014, 07:34 AM   #86
BigJake
Vice Admiral

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
The capital city of Qo'nos, I think?
I guess? I can go with that.

I'm a less casual fan than I was prior to the spate of amateur research that brought me to this Board, but still: a series concept that asks me to care about the ins and outs of Worf's political career after the Dominion War is pretty much begging me to pull the ripcord.
Old April 23 2014, 08:09 AM   #87
Melakon
Admiral

If Worf is "deposed", that means he's dead if we're talking about Klingons.
Old April 23 2014, 11:38 AM   #88
2takesfrakes
Commodore

STAR TREK television has tried to show major wars before, but they didn't really have the money to do them right. What we got was OK, but we should've gotten a much bigger and better canvas to work on. It was just too tight and controlled and, let's be honest, it came off as cheap. Fans are forgiving, though, as they've always had to have been, because of budget limitations. But no longer ... if they throw a lot of money at it, a war would be a lot of fun to watch, I suspect. It would be the best of both worlds, really. One one hand, we've got the ideals and utopia of the federation and on the other, we've got this war to bring all of this Human Drama to the series. If I saw STAR TREK: Dam Busters making it to the screen, I would probably tune in every night. I wouldn't mind a blood-thirsty series ...
Old April 23 2014, 03:08 PM   #89
BillJ
Admiral

Not everyone is as in love with the Dominion War and that version of Trek as you seem to be. I like "Star Trek" because it's "Star Trek". If I want to watch a show about politics, I'll watch a show about politics. House of Cards (Netflix), blows away anything Star Trek could ever accomplish in the area of politics. Same thing goes for a war series, I'd simply rather watch a show that was about war than try to shoehorn a Star Trek series into that concept.

Star Trek, for me, is action-adventure science fiction set in a weird and wild universe where anything could happen. Something I feel the spinoffs lost to a large degree. Settling more and more for stories that were simply modern day political and war stories where the enemies wore funny appendages on their head. I'd rather have the swarthy manipulative Klingons, the warlike Romulans, the pizza-topped Horta and the Gorn rubber lizard suit than the Cardassians or Dominion if I was the one making the call.

YMMV.

You talk about more of the same being a bad thing then your story ideas focus on the single most overused character in the history of the franchise.
Old April 23 2014, 03:36 PM   #90
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Mostly I think it's because that just sounds like making more DS9. It's not a continuation of TNG, VOY, ENT, or TOS even. And not everybody loves DS9.

I think DS9 is great, but I really don't care to see a continuation at this point. If I did, I'd read the books. If we get another show, I want it to be something new and fresh, perhaps only casually linked to any of the other series. No continuation of DS9, no rebooted characters, and definitely no Klingon politics as a basis.

If I want to watch a show about politics, I'll watch a show about politics. House of Cards (Netflix), blows away anything Star Trek could ever accomplish in the area of politics. Same thing goes for a war series, I'd simply rather watch a show that was about war than try to shoehorn a Star Trek series into that concept.

Star Trek, for me, is action-adventure science fiction set in a weird and wild universe where anything could happen.
If I want to watch a show about action-adventure space fiction, I watch Star Wars. Star Trek is a little bit more complex than that and sometimes involves politics and war, and I mean in the original.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote