February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old March 9 2014, 10:11 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Should the next Star Trek series have a major war?

The Overlord wrote: View Post

I think if a Star Trek series is to survive in the current TV landscape, it will need an ongoing serialized story, rather then being purely episodic.
Which is plain wrong since there are popular episodic dramas currently on the air.

As for "WarTrek"? God no.
Old March 10 2014, 03:13 AM   #17
dub
Fleet Captain

I prefer serial, but I'd be happy with episodic too! Or a hybrid like DS9. Doesn't matter either way as long as it's written well.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 06:02 AM   #18
HIjol
Fleet Captain

...or, have the überstory reflect the kinds of realities going on now (Venezuala, Sudan, Crimea, Syria, etc.) as a vehicle to tell/backtell the embryo and birth/growth of the Federation...conflicts and crises but solutions and successes...

...and maybe Scott Bakula is not too old to play his part as the First UFP president...
...or Alfre Woodard...
...or maybe Martin Sheen.
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 02:20 PM   #19
anh165
Commander

War? Huh? What is it good for?

Another pass for this underhanded suggestion of a DS9 remake.
Old March 10 2014, 05:19 PM   #20
HIjol
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=anh165;9342361]War? Huh? What is it good for?

"...Absolutely nuthin'...say it agin...ooooo, WAR!!!..."
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Old March 10 2014, 05:42 PM   #21
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

HIjol wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post
Good god, y'all!
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 06:18 PM   #22
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

If we want Trek to be allegorical, we'd also have to consider that the nature and definition of war has changed. Rather, pockets of humanity seem kinda bent on trying to commit the most atrocities without declaring such a label -- the same reason why the nations these days tend to use the word "conflict" or "engagement" rather than the term war itself whenever it can. Things like genocide and slave trading and resource rights and drug massacres and terrorism and territorial disputes still happen, don't get me wrong, but it's as if countries are trying to do the bare minimum and in many ways, that's just as if not more insidious than war itself.

With that said, I'm really reminded of a lot of TNG episodes that focused on such disputes, where the crew would have an episode that involved decades or even centuries of war on a planet or two and would need to intervene. Picard would try his diplomatic best to find a solution, Worf and Riker would be ready for combat at a moment's notice, Crusher would brace for the worst. And to me, that kind of attention to localized conflict seems really more relatable than just outright declaring war for the sake of onscreen violence. A Star Trek equivalent of a World War is one thing, but in the real world, individual countries have their own struggles and they shouldn't be overlooked, either.

I liked the Dominion War as a whole, but I wish some of the smaller nations were explored -- those who decided to fight, those who joined the Romulans in remaining neutral (at least from the start), those who joined the Dominion. I'm sure they all had their own individual reasons for their roles in the war, and they're probably deep, emotional reasons. That's good for a story or two.
Old March 11 2014, 01:26 AM   #23
The Overlord
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post

I think if a Star Trek series is to survive in the current TV landscape, it will need an ongoing serialized story, rather then being purely episodic.
Which is plain wrong since there are popular episodic dramas currently on the air.
And how many of those are as good as the serialized TV shows on cable?

How many people say NCIS is on the same of level of story telling as Breaking Bad? How much of these episodic TV dramas on the networks are just mindless comfort food compared to the real meat we see on cable?

When people talk about this being the golden age of television, they are talking about the great serialized dramas on cable, not the stuff on the networks. Not having a serialized story at this point, means Star Trek is not taking full advantage of what the medium of television can do in terms of story. I think increasing episodic television is the way of the past and serialized television is the way of the future.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 02:35 AM   #24
HIjol
Fleet Captain

bbjeg wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post
Good god, y'all!
"...what is it good for, absolutely..."
Old March 11 2014, 03:07 AM   #25
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Good god, y'all!
War is good for business.

The Nagus says yes to this thread.
Old March 11 2014, 03:37 AM   #26
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing a major war that erupts in a story arc that may span a couple of episodes, but definitely not to the extent that it was in DS9. And even then, it shouldn't be something that's indicative of the entire series.
Old March 11 2014, 07:37 AM   #27
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Good god, y'all!
War is good for business.

The Nagus says yes to this thread.
"Holy Gold-Pressed Latinum, BB!...you're right!"
Old March 11 2014, 09:49 AM   #28
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

War is all action and battles and glory and honour and sacrifice--which has been done in Trek and loads of other TV shows.

I think the next series should be set after a war, where the focus is on rebuilding planets, ships, relationships; dealing with the fallout of conflict, the devastated aggressor having to accept help from their adversary for help, the tensions that causes between and among both sides.

Its not the big flashy NuTrek-esque style, but the hard work, dedictation and resiliency of the characters that drive storylines and plot, making it a series of substance.
Old March 11 2014, 01:30 PM   #29
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
War is all action and battles and glory and honour and sacrifice--which has been done in Trek and loads of other TV shows.

I think the next series should be set after a war, where the focus is on rebuilding planets, ships, relationships; dealing with the fallout of conflict, the devastated aggressor having to accept help from their adversary for help, the tensions that causes between and among both sides.

Its not the big flashy NuTrek-esque style, but the hard work, dedictation and resiliency of the characters that drive storylines and plot, making it a series of substance.
I agree. Add everything Bry said to my initial post and that's my series.
Old March 11 2014, 05:04 PM   #30
Jonny
Lieutenant Commander

I'd prefer it to be primarily about exploration. Whether or not there should be a war involved I'm not so sure about that.

I do believe more and more that any new Trek series will need to be more of a story arc rather than episodic nowadays but there are plenty of other ways to do it rather than war. How that can be done I'll leave to more creative people to come up with as I'm not a very creative person to say the least.

That's my thoughts about it anyway.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote