RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,084
Members: 26,073
Currently online: 476
Newest member: KhishannK4D

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 14 2014, 05:16 PM   #91
JRS
Fleet Captain

Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
A hijacking doesn't seem likely to me somehow. I mean, anything's possible, but I can't imagine why the pilots would cooperate with a hijacking after what happened on 9/11.
Yes, that is true. It would be difficult to get to the cockpit also, because of the better doors and the pilots would surely have time to send a mayday of some sort..not to mention all the passengers, who prob have cellphones and so on( 9/11 lots of passengers made phone calls and so on). So there are problems in that theory..unless one or more pilots were in on the plot. But I am not willing to accuse them of something like that, not without evidence.

I have heard all theories from UFOs to Pakistani agents and secret airfields. I dont really believe to any of them without proof. I will keep a open mind, though.
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 05:38 PM   #92
J.T.B.
Commodore

Marc wrote: View Post
Not sure about the idea of landing the aircraft on Island - you don't put a 777 down on dime. The runway would need to take a 200 tonne aircraft and be at least 1km long.
If it landed at a suitably equipped airport, it would be very difficult to hide the fact, as in wacko conspiracy theory difficult. If the idea is that it was "put down" in some open space somewhere... very, very unlikely that an aircraft like that could be landed safely with no landing guidance systems, especially in the dark. They would be lucky if they ended up in several large pieces.

ETA:
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
But where did the plane end up? You'd think someone would've seen something...
Over open ocean in the middle of the night?

Last edited by J.T.B.; March 14 2014 at 05:58 PM.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 05:40 PM   #93
billcosby
Commodore

I was wondering about this unlikely successful hijacking scenario. If the hijackers did seize and destroy everyone's cell phones on board... but would they have the tenacity to go through all the luggage to do the same?
Not everyone shuts their phone off completely during a flight.

As others have stated, it's incredible how gov'ts can use phones to track people and detail their lives with metadata but a gigantic flying bus with hundreds of people on board vanishes without a trace and there are no tracing signals? So bizarre. Maybe poor/nonexistent coverage in the area?
I wonder how unlikely a scenario exists where 200+ people are being held captive in a jungle somewhere. That would require a lot of resources and personnel and leadership skills.

From wiki (United 93): "After the hijackers took control of the plane, several passengers and flight attendants were able to make cellphone calls."
So does it matter that they were in the middle of the ocean vs. over dry land like United 93? I guess the mystery for me is that of cell service availability. If they could use their phones, would they have been shielded from transmission somehow? And another question about aviation in general, there is a strong indication that in the next several years, people will be able to freely place calls in the cabin of a passenger jet. Does this service use the equipment on board to carry the signals or are they using the individual carrier service?

Anyway - I complete understand the value of taking a jet but not so much the hundreds of hostages. I fear the reason for this plot (if it was successful) is something no one has been able to figure out yet.

Last edited by billcosby; March 14 2014 at 05:58 PM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 06:41 PM   #94
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

1. The monitoring system doesn't have an independent battery, and requires the plane to be running.

2. Another theory I believe even less than the last one I posted, but, what if it landed at an airport *as another scheduled flight*? Like say an Iranian (or some other restrictive country) flight that never actually took off in Iran (would we know for sure?). How difficult would it be to change the markings, transponder, etc, while in flight?
Old March 14 2014, 06:52 PM   #95
J.T.B.
Commodore

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
2. Another theory I believe even less than the last one I posted, but, what if it landed at an airport *as another scheduled flight*? Like say an Iranian (or some other restrictive country) flight that never actually took off in Iran (would we know for sure?). How difficult would it be to change the markings, transponder, etc, while in flight?
How difficult would it be to repaint a jetliner in flight? Is that a serious question?
Old March 14 2014, 06:55 PM   #96
Captrek
Rear Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
As others have stated, it's incredible how gov'ts can use phones to track people and detail their lives with metadata but a gigantic flying bus with hundreds of people on board vanishes without a trace and there are no tracing signals? So bizarre. Maybe poor/nonexistent coverage in the area?

From wiki (United 93): "After the hijackers took control of the plane, several passengers and flight attendants were able to make cellphone calls."
So does it matter that they were in the middle of the ocean vs. over dry land like United 93?
Exactly. Whoever did this timed it to happen when the plane was out of contact with everything (that we know about) except the Inmarsat satellites.

Last edited by Captrek; March 14 2014 at 08:01 PM.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 06:57 PM   #97
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

ABC News is reporting new & interesting findings.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=22909835

Ian Hislop
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 08:06 PM   #98
J.T.B.
Commodore

Captrek wrote: View Post
Would it be possible, while in flight, to dump the cargo over the ocean?
All doors on airliners are designed to stay closed while in the air; otherwise, some very bad things will happen to the airplane. So, no.
Old March 14 2014, 08:14 PM   #99
Captrek
Rear Admiral

If there's no way the plane could have landed, could someone have bailed like DB Cooper, leaving the plane and witnesses to crash into the ocean?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 08:38 PM   #100
J.T.B.
Commodore

Captrek wrote: View Post
If there's no way the plane could have landed, could someone have bailed like DB Cooper, leaving the plane and witnesses to crash into the ocean?
There's no way to get out. The way Cooper did it, the stair door under the tail of a 727, was a serious design flaw that was corrected on that model of aircraft and eliminated in newer designs. So, no.
Old March 14 2014, 08:56 PM   #101
gturner
Admiral

If we or another navy had any submarines transiting the Indian Ocean, they may have picked up a transient on sonar, yet would probably still be unaware that people on the surface are all madly searching for an airliner.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 10:58 PM   #102
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
How difficult would it be to repaint a jetliner in flight? Is that a serious question?
Not really. It's more of a "Could even the cleverest person here think of an absurd but even remotely actually possible way this could be done?" sort of question. Because I'm thinking that if even if they had done something as far-fetched as I was suggesting in that post in the first place, that they would probably have needed the assistance of a friendly airfield that wouldn't report their presence and where they could have changed the markings and such.

Which really kinda brings the whole problem of how they could have landed anywhere without someone spilling the beans full circle. And, makes me wonder what the heck would be the point. So, nevermind.
Old March 14 2014, 11:38 PM   #103
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I love the theories here, they are all nuts!

I like the repainting a plane in mid air one.

I never thought about the cell phones, that's a very good point.

What I do not understand, why is there a button to shut of the tracking of the radar? Why would you even need to shut it off?
Old March 15 2014, 12:10 AM   #104
Finn
Vice Admiral

^From what i understand, there's not a single button but a whole set of protocol to do so which is why some suspect a deliberate act.

As why to turn it off, perhaps for when they are on the ground?
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 02:17 AM   #105
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

But what they showed all they had to do was turn a thing and it goes off. I guess when landing it would make sense to shut it off, but radar doesn't work on the ground anyways.