RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,166
Posts: 5,344,675
Members: 24,601
Currently online: 640
Newest member: Capt_n_Admiral

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 11 2014, 07:49 PM   #61
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
The problem has nothing to do with speculation being offered by laymen. The problem is flippancy.
If someone offers an off-the-cuff optimistic theory, even a goofy one like aliens or some sort of Bermuda Triangle inversion or whatever, why do people assume that is flippancy and not world-weariness? I won't speak for Captrek, but I know that *I* didn't offer what I said before about them landing on I-40 to be flippant, I offered it because it would be nice if JUST ONCE something AWESOME was going on instead of the expected misery. I don't honestly expect it - I don't think anyone really does, we know the score - but wouldn't it be nice for a change? I'm never quite ready to give up entirely while there's still a fraction of a chance, even if it does amount to beating my head against a brick wall every time the final words on things like this come in.
I think if you'll carefully reread what I said, I didn't say that optimism was the problem. I'm 100% positive that I said that flippancy is the problem, a word that has a very specific definition.

If you (general you) are being flippant, then you're likely to offend people in this sort of situation. That, after all, is what the word means. On the other hand, if you're not being flippant, then, obviously, you're not as likely to offend in that manner. It's pretty straightforward, really.

If you (general you) are so world-weary that you're confusing aliens or Bermuda Triangle inversions with optimistic theories, then I can't help you. Seek counseling and/or go on vacation would be my best advice.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 08:17 PM   #62
Marc
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: An Aussie in Canukistan
Send a message via ICQ to Marc
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

the issue of transponders etc was raised earlier in the thread. AVherald.com (a site with a very good reputation for it's coverage of aircraft incidents and accidents) reports that MAS aircraft after fitted with a system for transmission of monitored data but nothing was received.

On Mar 11th 2014 the airline reported that the aircraft had accumulated 53,465 flight hours in 7,525 flight cycles since its delivery to Malaysia Airlines in 2002. The aircraft has last undergone maintenance on Feb 23rd 2014. All Malaysia Airlines aircraft are equipped with ACARS transmitting monitoring data automatically. However, no distress call and no information was relayed. The search area has been extended and includes the Strait of Malacca west of Malaysia looking at the possibility that the aircraft may have turned back and diverted to Subang (Malaysia).
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

The linked article has a complete summary of known facts to this point in time.
__________________
Gentlemen you can't fight in here - this is the war room.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 03:38 AM   #63
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Well, something weird clearly happened.
No, actually, that's not clear at all. Just because we are not exactly sure what happened within a few days of an incident that took place over the ocean doesn't make the explanation inherently weird. When the wreckage is found and the reasons for the crash explained, chances are it will be a fairly mundane cause, not that that's any comfort to the families.

All this speculation about weird phenomena is just a parallel to people believing in ridiculous conspiracy theories. Some people can't fathom the idea that a single assassin with an obsession or agenda can take down world leaders, that a handful of terrorists can take down skyscrapers, or that we can land on the Moon. And when a plane disappears, it can't just be that it's difficult to find because it's in the middle of the ocean, there must be some bizarre explanation behind it.

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
If someone offers an off-the-cuff optimistic theory, even a goofy one like aliens or some sort of Bermuda Triangle inversion or whatever, why do people assume that is flippancy and not world-weariness?
Really, the plane's not in his house, Martians took it along with Amelia Earhart, or SPECTRE sabotaged it are good faith theories about what happened instead of flippant (as CC said), poor taste jokes? Can you be any more gullible? Also, I didn't say anything the first or second time, but by the THIRD time he was making a joke in the thread it seemed a bit much.

By the way, thanks for not taking the obvious hint about how this line of discussion was inappropriate for the thread and continuing it anyway. For the completely clueless, there is another thread open right now where you can discuss the value of poor taste and too soon jokes (or for you, how they're actually serious) instead of in the thread where the discussion of the incident where hundreds of lives were lost is still ongoing.

I won't speak for Captrek, but I know that *I* didn't offer what I said before about them landing on I-40 to be flippant, I offered it because it would be nice if JUST ONCE something AWESOME was going on instead of the expected misery. I don't honestly expect it - I don't think anyone really does, we know the score - but wouldn't it be nice for a change? I'm never quite ready to give up entirely while there's still a fraction of a chance, even if it does amount to beating my head against a brick wall every time the final words on things like this come in.
But it's not awesome. Even if by some bizarre occurrence the passengers and crew were still alive, it wouldn't have been an awesome experience for them. Nor is it an awesome experience for the families and friends they left behind. Which is why it's callous and inappropriate to engage in this kind of joking and baseless speculation.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 04:04 AM   #64
EmoBorg
Captain
 
EmoBorg's Avatar
 
Location: in the 10 dimensions of reality
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

I personally think that the Malaysian government authorities have been incompetent in their handling of the incident so far. There has been confusion and misinformation all the way.


http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing-...312-hvhqv.html
__________________
Nice music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fy4cqWMhyI

Last edited by EmoBorg; March 12 2014 at 04:30 AM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 04:23 AM   #65
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude
 
Miss Chicken's Avatar
 
Location: Howrah, Hobart, Tasmania
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

I don't think is that unusual that the plane hasn't been found yet. It took searchers about five days before they found any of the major wreckage of Air France Flight 447 and as far remember that flight had not veered off course.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 04:35 AM   #66
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral
 
USS Triumphant's Avatar
 
Location: Go ahead, caller. I'm listening...
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

This space left intentionally blank.
__________________
As the brilliant philosopher once said... Everybody, have fun tonight. Everybody, Wang Chung tonight.

Last edited by USS Triumphant; March 12 2014 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Please, not in front of the Klingons.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 04:42 AM   #67
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

Nope, I'm not giving you a warning because there's no reason to. But what you were doing hardly constitutes good manners in my opinion, either, hence my response. You may consider it a harmless intellectual exercise, but be conscious of your surroundings and how what you say may be interpreted by others. Now, if you want to continue the discussion, take it to PM and out of this thread.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 08:27 AM   #68
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

Given it's been what, four, five days, I hope it's parked up on some runway with the crew unable to communicate with the wider world and not as it may very well be, somewhere in the sea. Either way, it certainly isn't in the air anymore.
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 09:03 AM   #69
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral
 
Haggis and tatties's Avatar
 
Location: Glasgow
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

^^I hope that is what happened, it would be great if everybody was ok, seeing those poor people waiting for news is heartbreaking.
__________________

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 11:54 AM   #70
Roger Wilco
Admiral
 
Roger Wilco's Avatar
 
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Well, something weird clearly happened.
No, actually, that's not clear at all. Just because we are not exactly sure what happened within a few days of an incident that took place over the ocean doesn't make the explanation inherently weird. When the wreckage is found and the reasons for the crash explained, chances are it will be a fairly mundane cause, not that that's any comfort to the families.

All this speculation about weird phenomena is just a parallel to people believing in ridiculous conspiracy theories. Some people can't fathom the idea that a single assassin with an obsession or agenda can take down world leaders, that a handful of terrorists can take down skyscrapers, or that we can land on the Moon. And when a plane disappears, it can't just be that it's difficult to find because it's in the middle of the ocean, there must be some bizarre explanation behind it.
Obviously I didn't mean "weird" as in "abducted by aliens" or "pulled into a time travel vortex", but imo whatever disaster befell the plane is inherently strange due to the rarity of such events.
__________________
Don't be a douche.
Roger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 10:33 PM   #71
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

http://www.theguardian.com/world/blo...a-live-updates

Satellite images from China.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 08:06 AM   #72
EmoBorg
Captain
 
EmoBorg's Avatar
 
Location: in the 10 dimensions of reality
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

No sign of missing plane at spot located by the Chinese satellite according to Malaysian and Vietnamese searchers.


http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0313/601...ysia-airlines/



US investigators believed that the missing airliner flew about four hours past the time it reached its last confirmed location based on the data collected.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/miss...port-1.1660534



Slate Magazine has an interesting article regarding this incident.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._aviation.html
__________________
Nice music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fy4cqWMhyI

Last edited by EmoBorg; March 13 2014 at 12:32 PM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 03:49 PM   #73
SPCTRE
Weltmeister
 
SPCTRE's Avatar
 
View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

The Washington Post has an impressive visualization of the scale of the search area the investigators are up against:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ian-air-scale/
__________________
"To hear some incensed fans tell it, The Sims 4 without pools or toddlers is a barren hellscape, an empty, rotten womb where fun is but a dim memory. I think those people might be overreacting just a smidgen bit, but you know, everyone’s got their priorities." - Nathan Grayson
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 03:21 AM   #74
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral
 
USS Triumphant's Avatar
 
Location: Go ahead, caller. I'm listening...
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

A fairly intelligent friend of mine with some relevant background (radar operator in the Navy) mentioned a theory on what has happened to the flight, and I'm going to share it here because I found it interesting, but I want to emphasize that neither he nor I are trying to say it IS what happened, either. I'm presenting it only for your consideration.

He suggests that possibly once the plane went well off course without an active transponder, that *someone's* military shot it down, and perhaps from a security point of view, rightly so to some degree if they were concerned about the plane being used as a weapon. And that the reason there's as much "mystery" as there is about the disappearance is that the governments involved in the search for the most part *know*, and might prefer that this be left a mystery to the public than for there to be international tension or some other negative reaction to an action that they agree was unfortunate but actually warranted by the data available to whomever made the call to shoot it down.

If there IS anything to this theory, it dovetails well with the picture of debris near the last known location of the plane that the Chinese are showing around and that Malaysia keeps saying isn't part of the answer - perhaps the Chinese aren't in the group that knows what the other nations have decided the official story is supposed to be?
__________________
As the brilliant philosopher once said... Everybody, have fun tonight. Everybody, Wang Chung tonight.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 03:46 AM   #75
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

I agree it's a.... "possibility" But still leaves questions and has holes in it.

And, on the subject of The Onion and "Gallows Humor:"

Malaysia Airlines Expands Investigation To Include General Scope Of Space, Time
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.