RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,382
Posts: 5,357,407
Members: 24,628
Currently online: 567
Newest member: suryaprabu02

TrekToday headlines

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 9 2014, 12:12 AM   #16
urbandefault
Captain
 
urbandefault's Avatar
 
Location: Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie!
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Fandom can sometimes be a little too invested in the notion that our tastes are somehow superior to "the masses," but, honestly, I don't think we give the general audience enough credit.
Point for acknowledging the fact that not everyone lives inside fandom, even if they are fans.

Sure, there are some people who find genre stuff too "weird" for them, but that's probably because they simply have other interests. Doesn't mean that that sf/fantasy is too much for lesser minds to cope with.
Aaaand ... minus five points for insinuating that the "general audience" is somehow "lesser" minded.

I'd like to know, who exactly are these "lesser minds"?

If that was a misstatement on your part, fine. No harm, no foul, and I apologize for calling you out.

But I have read a lot of posts in this BBS from people who do consider those who aren't in sync with their tastes and opinions to be of "lesser minds." That's not only distasteful to me, in my opinion it's narrow minded and offensive.

Edited to add: If I misunderstood the statement, again I apologize.
__________________
"Hello pants." - Gary Busey

Last edited by urbandefault; March 9 2014 at 12:47 AM.
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 12:18 AM   #17
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

^^^
Given the context of Greg's post, I think there was a measure of sarcasm there about how some SF/F fans look down on "the masses". He clearly doesn't share the view that they're lesser minds.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 12:34 AM   #18
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

^Agreed. If anyone is fair and balanced on this board it's Greg.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 12:44 AM   #19
urbandefault
Captain
 
urbandefault's Avatar
 
Location: Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie!
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
^^^
Given the context of Greg's post, I think there was a measure of sarcasm there about how some SF/F fans look down on "the masses". He clearly doesn't share the view that they're lesser minds.
That may be, but I don't see it. And I'm not one to miss an opportunity to enjoy sarcasm wherever I find it. I hope Mr. Cox will respond and set me straight.

But thanks for interpreting.
__________________
"Hello pants." - Gary Busey
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 12:51 AM   #20
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
^Agreed. If anyone is fair and balanced on this board it's Greg.
Unless Richard Matheson is involved.

I wouldn't read the comment negatively either.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:23 AM   #21
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

urbandefault wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
^^^
Given the context of Greg's post, I think there was a measure of sarcasm there about how some SF/F fans look down on "the masses". He clearly doesn't share the view that they're lesser minds.
That may be, but I don't see it. And I'm not one to miss an opportunity to enjoy sarcasm wherever I find it. I hope Mr. Cox will respond and set me straight.

But thanks for interpreting.
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but we've all been around here a lot longer than you and we are much more familiar with Greg. I think longtime posters are in a much better position to interpret his post than you are. And that is not meant as a slam on you, it's just the reality of the situation.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:27 AM   #22
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

urbandefault wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Fandom can sometimes be a little too invested in the notion that our tastes are somehow superior to "the masses," but, honestly, I don't think we give the general audience enough credit.
Point for acknowledging the fact that not everyone lives inside fandom, even if they are fans.

Sure, there are some people who find genre stuff too "weird" for them, but that's probably because they simply have other interests. Doesn't mean that that sf/fantasy is too much for lesser minds to cope with.
Aaaand ... minus five points for insinuating that the "general audience" is somehow "lesser" minded.

I'd like to know, who exactly are these "lesser minds"?

If that was a misstatement on your part, fine. No harm, no foul, and I apologize for calling you out.

But I have read a lot of posts in this BBS from people who do consider those who aren't in sync with their tastes and opinions to be of "lesser minds." That's not only distasteful to me, in my opinion it's narrow minded and offensive.

Edited to add: If I misunderstood the statement, again I apologize.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
^^^
Given the context of Greg's post, I think there was a measure of sarcasm there about how some SF/F fans look down on "the masses". He clearly doesn't share the view that they're lesser minds.
I believe Greg's sarcasm was being directed at Mr Light's post. http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...18&postcount=8
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:38 AM   #23
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Genre shows have a high fail rate because they require a much larger budget and appeal to a much smaller audience. Most people think SF/F is stupid. They don't like to think

(sadly, I'm only 50% joking)
All true.

I'd add two more points :

1) Budget restrictions tend to limit shows to being Earth based, so really imaginative shows, space opera or visually unusual shows tend to be passed over for yet more mundane settings with a supernatural or sci-fi twist.

2) Almost all of them are crap. I've started watching loads of shows in the last few years and dumped almost all of them, even the ones that haven't been cancelled.
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:52 AM   #24
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Chicago, IL
View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

What is interesting is the fact that the bulk of the shows that have survived have primarily been fantasy shows. Shows that are more explicitly scifi tend not to do as well.

Person of Interest has a unique place in this in that its scifi elements are pretty far below the surface.
__________________
Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:54 AM   #25
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

Sci-fi shows range from modest budgets to big budgets for space opera shows and Earth-based shows alike.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 02:16 AM   #26
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

I liked Michael Ealy's last show Common Law better
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 02:50 AM   #27
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Lost in Moria (Arlington, WA, USA)
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

urbandefault wrote: View Post
Sure, there are some people who find genre stuff too "weird" for them, but that's probably because they simply have other interests. Doesn't mean that that sf/fantasy is too much for lesser minds to cope with.
urbandefault wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
^^^
Given the context of Greg's post, I think there was a measure of sarcasm there about how some SF/F fans look down on "the masses". He clearly doesn't share the view that they're lesser minds.
That may be, but I don't see it. And I'm not one to miss an opportunity to enjoy sarcasm wherever I find it. I hope Mr. Cox will respond and set me straight.

But thanks for interpreting.
Here's another vote for giving Greg the benefit of the doubt.

I can see why you're reading the statement that way: Reworded, you'd be reading it as, "SF/Fantasy is not too much for lesser minds to cope with." Which would still mean they're "lesser" in some way.

But I think the intent was to refute the entire hypothetical statement; i.e. "SF/Fantasy is just too much for these lesser minds to cope with," countered by, "There's no reason to say such things!"
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 03:10 AM   #28
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I can see why you're reading the statement that way: Reworded, you'd be reading it as, "SF/Fantasy is not too much for lesser minds to cope with." Which would still mean they're "lesser" in some way.

But I think the intent was to refute the entire hypothetical statement; i.e. "SF/Fantasy is just too much for these lesser minds to cope with," countered by, "There's no reason to say such things!"
Yeah, that's my interpretation of Greg's post as well. The rest of his post is arguing against the idea that sci-fi fans are superior to general audiences, so in the full context this is the only interpretation that fits his post.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 03:55 AM   #29
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

Yikes. I didn't realize that I was fomenting confusion. For the record, I was definitely being sarcastic about the "lesser minds" thing. I was poking fun at the fandom's occasional tendency to assume that our tastes are ever so more elevated than those of "the masses" who don't get sf/fantasy. Which can get a bit elitist and self-congratulatory sometimes.

(I guess I should have put "lesser minds" in quotes to indicate that I was being ironic.)

And that was by no means directed at any poster in particular. Alas, it's an attitude one runs into fairly often at sf sites--and probably dates back to the whole "fans are slans" silliness of generations past.

P.S. Glad to hear that I'm not largely regarded as a crazy person . . . except where Richard Matheson is concerned!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com

Last edited by Greg Cox; March 9 2014 at 04:23 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 04:40 AM   #30
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

The first argument for the superiority of our people: Days of Our Lives.

There are so many other good arguments for why our tastes should define reality.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.