Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 9 2014, 12:12 AM   #16
urbandefault
Captain

Re: Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Fandom can sometimes be a little too invested in the notion that our tastes are somehow superior to "the masses," but, honestly, I don't think we give the general audience enough credit.
Point for acknowledging the fact that not everyone lives inside fandom, even if they are fans.

Sure, there are some people who find genre stuff too "weird" for them, but that's probably because they simply have other interests. Doesn't mean that that sf/fantasy is too much for lesser minds to cope with.
Aaaand ... minus five points for insinuating that the "general audience" is somehow "lesser" minded.

I'd like to know, who exactly are these "lesser minds"?

If that was a misstatement on your part, fine. No harm, no foul, and I apologize for calling you out.

But I have read a lot of posts in this BBS from people who do consider those who aren't in sync with their tastes and opinions to be of "lesser minds." That's not only distasteful to me, in my opinion it's narrow minded and offensive.

Edited to add: If I misunderstood the statement, again I apologize.

Last edited by urbandefault; March 9 2014 at 12:47 AM.
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 12:18 AM   #17
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
Given the context of Greg's post, I think there was a measure of sarcasm there about how some SF/F fans look down on "the masses". He clearly doesn't share the view that they're lesser minds.
Old March 9 2014, 12:34 AM   #18
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^Agreed. If anyone is fair and balanced on this board it's Greg.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 12:44 AM   #19
urbandefault
Captain

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
^^^
Given the context of Greg's post, I think there was a measure of sarcasm there about how some SF/F fans look down on "the masses". He clearly doesn't share the view that they're lesser minds.
That may be, but I don't see it. And I'm not one to miss an opportunity to enjoy sarcasm wherever I find it. I hope Mr. Cox will respond and set me straight.

But thanks for interpreting.
Old March 9 2014, 12:51 AM   #20
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
^Agreed. If anyone is fair and balanced on this board it's Greg.
Unless Richard Matheson is involved.

I wouldn't read the comment negatively either.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:23 AM   #21
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

urbandefault wrote: View Post
^^^
That may be, but I don't see it. And I'm not one to miss an opportunity to enjoy sarcasm wherever I find it. I hope Mr. Cox will respond and set me straight.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but we've all been around here a lot longer than you and we are much more familiar with Greg. I think longtime posters are in a much better position to interpret his post than you are. And that is not meant as a slam on you, it's just the reality of the situation.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:27 AM   #22
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Fandom can sometimes be a little too invested in the notion that our tastes are somehow superior to "the masses," but, honestly, I don't think we give the general audience enough credit.
Point for acknowledging the fact that not everyone lives inside fandom, even if they are fans.

Sure, there are some people who find genre stuff too "weird" for them, but that's probably because they simply have other interests. Doesn't mean that that sf/fantasy is too much for lesser minds to cope with.
Aaaand ... minus five points for insinuating that the "general audience" is somehow "lesser" minded.

I'd like to know, who exactly are these "lesser minds"?

If that was a misstatement on your part, fine. No harm, no foul, and I apologize for calling you out.

But I have read a lot of posts in this BBS from people who do consider those who aren't in sync with their tastes and opinions to be of "lesser minds." That's not only distasteful to me, in my opinion it's narrow minded and offensive.

Edited to add: If I misunderstood the statement, again I apologize.
^^^
I believe Greg's sarcasm was being directed at Mr Light's post. http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...18&postcount=8
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:38 AM   #23
Relayer1
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Genre shows have a high fail rate because they require a much larger budget and appeal to a much smaller audience. Most people think SF/F is stupid. They don't like to think

(sadly, I'm only 50% joking)
All true.

I'd add two more points :

1) Budget restrictions tend to limit shows to being Earth based, so really imaginative shows, space opera or visually unusual shows tend to be passed over for yet more mundane settings with a supernatural or sci-fi twist.

2) Almost all of them are crap. I've started watching loads of shows in the last few years and dumped almost all of them, even the ones that haven't been cancelled.
Old March 9 2014, 01:52 AM   #24
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

What is interesting is the fact that the bulk of the shows that have survived have primarily been fantasy shows. Shows that are more explicitly scifi tend not to do as well.

Person of Interest has a unique place in this in that its scifi elements are pretty far below the surface.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:54 AM   #25
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Sci-fi shows range from modest budgets to big budgets for space opera shows and Earth-based shows alike.
Old March 9 2014, 02:16 AM   #26
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I liked Michael Ealy's last show Common Law better

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 02:50 AM   #27
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

^^^

Here's another vote for giving Greg the benefit of the doubt.

I can see why you're reading the statement that way: Reworded, you'd be reading it as, "SF/Fantasy is not too much for lesser minds to cope with." Which would still mean they're "lesser" in some way.

But I think the intent was to refute the entire hypothetical statement; i.e. "SF/Fantasy is just too much for these lesser minds to cope with," countered by, "There's no reason to say such things!"
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 03:10 AM   #28
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I can see why you're reading the statement that way: Reworded, you'd be reading it as, "SF/Fantasy is not too much for lesser minds to cope with." Which would still mean they're "lesser" in some way.

But I think the intent was to refute the entire hypothetical statement; i.e. "SF/Fantasy is just too much for these lesser minds to cope with," countered by, "There's no reason to say such things!"
Yeah, that's my interpretation of Greg's post as well. The rest of his post is arguing against the idea that sci-fi fans are superior to general audiences, so in the full context this is the only interpretation that fits his post.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 03:55 AM   #29
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Yikes. I didn't realize that I was fomenting confusion. For the record, I was definitely being sarcastic about the "lesser minds" thing. I was poking fun at the fandom's occasional tendency to assume that our tastes are ever so more elevated than those of "the masses" who don't get sf/fantasy. Which can get a bit elitist and self-congratulatory sometimes.

(I guess I should have put "lesser minds" in quotes to indicate that I was being ironic.)

And that was by no means directed at any poster in particular. Alas, it's an attitude one runs into fairly often at sf sites--and probably dates back to the whole "fans are slans" silliness of generations past.

P.S. Glad to hear that I'm not largely regarded as a crazy person . . . except where Richard Matheson is concerned!

Last edited by Greg Cox; March 9 2014 at 04:23 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 04:40 AM   #30
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The first argument for the superiority of our people: Days of Our Lives.

There are so many other good arguments for why our tastes should define reality.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote