The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast

Pegg: Star Trek 3 Less Trek-Y

Two Trek Book Covers Unveiled
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old April 28 2015, 11:37 PM   #1
Pubert
Captain

Any Comic Book Fans Here That Are Annoyed By Comic Movie Only Fans?

The comic movie fans that have never read the comics or were never fans of the source material are really starting to get annoying to me anyway. Most of these people never heard of Stan Lee before the 2008 Iron Man movie. I cant even go to comic con these without these dopes walking around and only coming to the con to see their favorite actor. They aren't even there for the comics. Geez its so annoying these fair weather fans only like the material now that they are movies. These people are probably the same people that beat the crap out of kids who like comic books back in school. Any other comic book fans getting annoyed? Am I overreacting?
Pubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2015, 11:44 PM   #2
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Re: Any Comic Book Fans Here That Are Annoyed By Comic Movie Only Fans

Annoyed? No, there is no incorrect way to enjoy a story.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2015, 11:46 PM   #3
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I think you probably are overreacting. A lot of people simply don't read comics, for whatever reason.

But, a good looking action oriented movie comes out, and people wanna see that whether it's based on a comic or not. Most movies are based on something, comics, novels, etc.

Hell, maybe some of those people even start buying comics to see what they've been missing.

I collected heavily in the 90's, but that petered out because it was running into so much money. So, I know about these characters from some point in their history, a history that has been rewritten so many times it's hard to keep up anyway.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2015, 11:47 PM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Pubert wrote: View Post
The comic movie fans that have never read the comics or were never fans of the source material are really starting to get annoying to me anyway. Most of these people never heard of Stan Lee before the 2008 Iron Man movie.
So comic book movies are only supposed to be enjoyed by comic book fans? I'm lost. How else are you suppose to bring people into the fold? Comics are way too expensive for your average child now.
Old April 28 2015, 11:47 PM   #5
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Nah, it doesn't bother me. What does annoy me is when a movie-only fan tries to pass themselves off as an expert on the comics based their perusal of wikipedia.
Old April 28 2015, 11:52 PM   #6
Pubert
Captain

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Nah, it doesn't bother me. What does annoy me is when a movie-only fan tries to pass themselves off as an expert on the comics based their perusal of wikipedia.

Well said. That's probably the main annoyance for me.
Old April 28 2015, 11:56 PM   #7
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Not at all. Something I love has now been accepted by the masses. I had a moment yesterday where I was talking with a guy and he said he was weird for having never gotten in to superheroes. He was weird. What? When I was in a school I was the weird one for liking comic books and sci-fi. Now it's the norm. There's absolutely no need to be an elitist about it. Instead, I'm glad that I can share my enthusiasm with more and more people, and not be looked down on for it.
Old April 29 2015, 12:01 AM   #8
Pubert
Captain

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Not at all. Something I love has now been accepted by the masses. I had a moment yesterday where I was talking with a guy and he said he was weird for having never gotten in to superheroes. He was weird. What? When I was in a school I was the weird one for liking comic books and sci-fi. Now it's the norm. There's absolutely no need to be an elitist about it. Instead, I'm glad that I can share my enthusiasm with more and more people, and not be looked down on for it.
Not for me. I cant even go to a comic book store without some hipster or goth people scrambling around hoping to find valuable comics.
Old April 29 2015, 12:01 AM   #9
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I'm somebody who's mostly familiar with comics of the 60s through 90s, who stopped actively collecting new titles in 1999. My primary exposure to new material featuring classic comic book characters is via TV and movie adaptations.

And nobody would be making these films if lots and lots of Joe Schmoes who've never read comics weren't buying tickets, so we should be grateful to them.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2015, 12:07 AM   #10
Pubert
Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I'm somebody who's mostly familiar with comics of the 60s through 90s, who stopped actively collecting new titles in 1999. My primary exposure to new material featuring classic comic book characters is via TV and movie adaptations.

And nobody would be making these films if lots and lots of Joe Schmoes who've never read comics weren't buying tickets, so we should be grateful to them.

Yeah but comic fans carried the industry through the lean years. If it wasn't for us they wouldn't be making these films.
Old April 29 2015, 12:09 AM   #11
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Not for me. I cant even go to a comic book store without some hipster or goth people scrambling around hoping to find valuable comics.
Forgive me, but it sounds more like you're the hipster. You're the one looking down on others and saying "I liked comics before they were cool." New people are interested in the medium, and this is nothing but a good thing in my eyes. The whole mentality that people are somehow intruding on the territory of "true comic fans" is counter-productive and kinda childish.

Maybe new people just didn't know that they liked this kind of thing before they had a big movie. Comics are a niche market that can seem rather impenetrable to the layman. What does it matter why someone came in? What does it matter whether they like comics or prefer movies? How does this in any way diminish your own enjoyment? If anything, the success of the movies should be an affirmation that these characters and stories you have loved indeed had untapped mass appeal all along.
Old April 29 2015, 12:14 AM   #12
Pubert
Captain

Forgive me, but it sounds more like you're the hipster. You're the one looking down on others and saying "I liked comics before they were cool." New people are interested in the medium, and this is nothing but a good thing in my eyes. The whole mentality that people are somehow intruding on the territory of "true comic fans" is counter-productive and kinda childish.

Maybe new people just didn't know that they liked this kind of thing before they had a big movie. Comics are a niche market that can seem rather impenetrable to the layman. What does it matter why someone came in? What does it matter whether they like comics or prefer movies? How does this in any way diminish your own enjoyment? If anything, the success of the movies should be an affirmation that these characters and stories you have loved indeed had untapped mass appeal all along.

There were no hipsters when I was young. Im not saying I liked comics before they were cool because they were cool already and actually sell less issues now then they did when I was younger. Its comic book movies that are popular no the actual comic today. I enjoyed comic more in their heyday when they had better artists and writers. Now the churn the things out with crappy art and writing that try to mimic the movie in hope of bringing in movie fans. Its not happening. Marvel and DC make more outside the comic market now.

P.S. I was called a nerd when I was in High School. There was nothing trendy about that or even enjoyable. Today there are people who act like nerd but really aren't nerds. I at alone in the Library most of the time because I had no or very few friends. Hipsters have friends and stick in groups of fashion and culture.
Old April 29 2015, 12:27 AM   #13
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed comic more in their heyday when they had better artists and writers. Now the churn the things out with crappy art and writing that try to mimic the movie in hope of bringing in movie fans.
And when that's what dedicated comics fans have to say about the current state of comics, can you blame Joe Schmoe for flocking to the movie theaters but not the comic stores?
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2015, 12:31 AM   #14
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

What specific era are we talking about here that you consider the heyday of comics?

I was a nerd, too. I was bullied and abused on a regular basis. Life isn't high school. For the most part, people grow up. Trends come and go. It just so happens that the things I love are more popular than ever. Nerds are not some elite club that you have to pass a special exam for. Nerds are not even any specific kind of person. Words like nerd and geek, etc. indicate a passion for a particular subject.
Old April 29 2015, 12:40 AM   #15
Pubert
Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I enjoyed comic more in their heyday when they had better artists and writers. Now the churn the things out with crappy art and writing that try to mimic the movie in hope of bringing in movie fans.
And when that's what dedicated comics fans have to say about the current state of comics, can you blame Joe Schmoe for flocking to the movie theaters but not the comic stores?
No I blame the comic companies trying to get them to flock to the stores and buy the books. The books have become a shade of what they were to get others to buy them. All the universe restarts for instance and the renumbering classic books to #1 several times. Fans like me don't buy many of the newer comics anymore. I buy silver and bronze age mostly. It sucks.