Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 19 2014, 06:10 AM   #31
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
Re: Harlan Ellison's Acclaimed Star Trek Script Comes to Comics

An alternative (and much better, imnsho) cover for IDW's adaptation of Ellison's "City on the Edge of Forever":

http://www.startrek.com/uploads/asse...y-original.jpg
Old March 19 2014, 02:22 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

I like the first cover better. It's nicely evocative of vintage paperback SF novel covers. This, while well-rendered, is more of a generic floating-heads-in-space cover, aside from that buttressed palace or whatever in the background (perhaps a rendering of how Ellison originally described the Guardian or its environs?).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 06:31 PM   #33
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I like the first cover better. It's nicely evocative of vintage paperback SF novel covers. This, while well-rendered, is more of a generic floating-heads-in-space cover, aside from that buttressed palace or whatever in the background (perhaps a rendering of how Ellison originally described the Guardian or its environs?).
I miss those old vintage paperback SF covers myself. I think they're far more interesting then photoshopping the characters onto a cover. The photoshops almost always look awful and unimaginative.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 04:50 AM   #34
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
have Picard "leap" into the A's replacement for Valeris on its journey home.
Funny you should say that. When ST VI came out, George Takei was again suggesting (with renewed vigor) at conventions a "Captain Sulu/Excelsior" series or movie with a young Picard being involved. And he also was recommending ST VI's enthusiastic cameo player, Christian Slater, in the role.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 04:58 AM   #35
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

Whoa. Is Ellison finally mellowing in his stance on Star Trek? I think that may be one of the signs of the Apocalypse...
I agree. I thought he'd never agree to be part of something like this because he was so bitter about his story being modified the first time around.
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 08:42 AM   #36
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

^^^Exactly why he has agreed, it seems to me. The story is being done his way.

Like the first cover, btw.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 01:43 PM   #37
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Clark Terrell wrote: View Post
Whoa. Is Ellison finally mellowing in his stance on Star Trek? I think that may be one of the signs of the Apocalypse...
I agree. I thought he'd never agree to be part of something like this because he was so bitter about his story being modified the first time around.
If he were as bitter in 1967 about "City" as he was in 1996 when White Wolf published his long screed, then "City" would certainly have gone out as "Written by Cordwainer Bird." In my opinion, the fact that it didn't and he let it go out with his name on it speaks volumes about how Ellison felt about "City" at the time.

I suspect that Ellison's views hardened as Roddenberry began to trash him and mischaracterize the script as the years went on.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 06:27 PM   #38
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

I suspect that Ellison's views hardened as Roddenberry began to trash him and mischaracterize the script as the years went on.
Roddenberry trashed anyone who had the nerve to disagree with him, particularly when it came time to produce the films.
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 05:20 AM   #39
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Main and alternate covers for Issue 2.

http://www.startrek.com/article/firs...e-of-forever-2

Old May 24 2014, 03:59 PM   #40
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Anybody know the exact release date of the first issue? I keep seeing "June." You'd think, with Tuesday, 5-27-14, being Ellison's 80th birthday, they might release it then.

Anybody in the know out there?

Sir Rhosis

Old May 24 2014, 06:06 PM   #41
Danlav05
Commander

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
I hope IDW does a 'lost/alternate movie' range, adapting early drafts or discarded stories.

e.g. Trek I Planet of the Titans, Trek II Roddenberrys JFK, Trek VI Bennetts Starfleet Academy, Trek VII Yesterdays Enterprise The Movie, Trek VIII Borg in the Renaissance, Trek IX Heart of Darkness. Trek XI Spiner/Logan Crossover Nemesis sequel or Bermans The Beginning trilogy
There isn't a "Trek VII Yesterdays Enterprise The Movie" script. Rick Berman said later that, in retrospect, that story could have worked for a generations crossover. I'm not sure I really agree with him; I'm not sure the best way to introduce Star Trek: The Next Generation to film is with an alternate timeline version of Picard's crew.

The alternate path on Generations was Maurice Hurley's script, which had Picard consulting with a holodeck Kirk when the Federation was attacked by an enemy from outside normal space.

As for the rest of your list, don't forget Roddenberry's "The God-Thing" and the Eddie Murphy Star Trek IV. There's also Walter Koenig's pitch for Star Trek VI, "In Flanders Fields." And some of the early developmental scripts for Star Trek II would be interesting.
Oh I'd love a series like this, movies that never were.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 07:57 PM   #42
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
Anybody know the exact release date of the first issue? I keep seeing "June." You'd think, with Tuesday, 5-27-14, being Ellison's 80th birthday, they might release it then.

Anybody in the know out there?
June 4th, per Diamond.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2014, 12:53 AM   #43
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

^^^Thanks.

And include me as another who would like to IDW do "Roads not taken" for the TOS films.

Sir Rhosis

Old May 25 2014, 09:02 PM   #44
Danlav05
Commander

^^^Thanks.

And include me as another who would like to IDW do "Roads not taken" for the TOS films.

Sir Rhosis
The only TNG one would really be the Spiner/Logan one.

Despite being not an enormously long list - I think a range like this has a short span i.e. won't go on forever - I think they should just stick mainly to the movies as there are 100s of episodes, however of course Phase II were forbidden to make the lost Norman Spinrad script, so maybe that could be done officially?
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 02:39 AM   #45
SoM
Commander

You'd think, with Tuesday, 5-27-14, being Ellison's 80th birthday, they might release it then.
The basic question has been answered, just pointing out that would never have happened since comics are (barring holidays or Things Going Wrong) always released on Wednesdays.
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote