Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 6 2014, 06:33 PM   #16
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: On-Screen Documents

Robert Comsol, a Dissenting View: I tend to believe that that document was intended to read: "Robert, COMSOL". The commander's last name and his title. The way you might have seen a document signed "Eisenhower, CINCEUR" during WW2, perhaps. I don't think that was suppossed to be his first and last name. (Yes I know the last name more commonly used is Roberts with an "s" at the end, but I have seen it without as well). I also realize there is no comma on the actual document, and believe that to be an oversight on the part of the documet's creator.
Old March 6 2014, 06:36 PM   #17
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ That may have been the original intent, but the fact that the commander actually *signed* the name Robert Comsol would seem to indicate that it is his name. And the way it's spelled - Robert L. Comsol - also supports this. (If it had been an abbreviation, it would be more like Robert, COMSOL, in all caps.)
Old March 6 2014, 06:39 PM   #18
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

^^^
True enough. Still think it woulda made more sense the other way. *shrug* YMMV.
Old March 6 2014, 07:29 PM   #19
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
^^ I never noticed until just now that the document we see on screen refers to Spock as "half-Vulcan." I suppose a human-Vulcan hybrid, especially one serving in Starfleet, was a rarity and worth noting. In any case, no one at the time thought it was "racist."
So important that had to state it twice.
Old March 6 2014, 11:39 PM   #20
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
^^ I never noticed until just now that the document we see on screen refers to Spock as "half-Vulcan." I suppose a human-Vulcan hybrid, especially one serving in Starfleet, was a rarity and worth noting.
If it was necessary to note that the science officer was half-Vulcan, they should have included it in the text of the report, and not the signature, which many people would gloss over, anyway. Nope, this was just a case of 1960s unenlightened ignorance.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 02:06 AM   #21
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

mb22 wrote: View Post
Perhaps there might be some reason to identify the biological origin of the 'signer' to show that the Talosian illusions didn't only affect humans. Any other "in-universe" ideas why this might be done?
Perhaps Vulcan wasn't yet in the Federation [1], so that some relevance might be attached to his service origin, the way that (hypothetically; I have no idea whether they would ever do this) Allied reports might refer to a member of the Lafayette Escadrille as American Pilot (Name).

[1] Yes, I'm aware that at the time of production, Earth wasn't yet in the Federation either. I still think the cross-service idea is the least problematic one on hand.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 02:15 AM   #22
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

First off, I think the spoken dialog in which Mendez refers to "a half-Vulcan science officer named Spock" was merely a rhetorical way of saying, this is the exact same guy as your first officer.

It's not racism because, in a truly post-racial society, nobody feels offended by offhand references to their extraction. On top of that, Vulcans aren't a race, they're a species, and the novelty of humanoid cross-species hybridization was Spock's claim to fame.

Then I think the prop document was written with two references to that unique-to-Star-Trek phrase as an in-joke, in that it exactly quotes the dialog. It wasn't meant to be readable on TV.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 02:16 AM   #23
Tiberius
Commodore

RandyS wrote: View Post
Shawnster wrote: View Post
I like the 23rd Century racism.

Captain Christopher Pike
Half-Vulcan Science Officer Spock
I don't understand. It was simply a way of identifiyng Spock (That IS your objection, yes?). How is that racism?
If they wanted to identify a particular officer, they should be using service numbers.

But for them to identify him as being half Vulcan would be like identifying the "Black captain Benjamin Sisko." It reeks of racism.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 02:26 AM   #24
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I think it's a little odd that Mudd's rap sheet would include a reference to "Future Police"

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...womenhd209.jpg

and I think this item could be read on old-style, 20th century TV sets, at least a good one with superb reception, but you didn't have time to read it all.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 02:50 AM   #25
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

"counterfeit currency"
AHA, so they DO have money in the future!
Old March 7 2014, 03:49 AM   #26
F. King Daniel
Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I think it's a little odd that Mudd's rap sheet would include a reference to "Future Police"

Harry Mudd... future police... OMG Harry Mudd was Future Guy! (then put on a ton of weight)
Old March 7 2014, 04:01 AM   #27
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Nebusj wrote: View Post
Perhaps there might be some reason to identify the biological origin of the 'signer' to show that the Talosian illusions didn't only affect humans. Any other "in-universe" ideas why this might be done?
Perhaps Vulcan wasn't yet in the Federation [1], so that some relevance might be attached to his service origin, the way that (hypothetically; I have no idea whether they would ever do this) Allied reports might refer to a member of the Lafayette Escadrille as American Pilot (Name).

[1] Yes, I'm aware that at the time of production, Earth wasn't yet in the Federation either. I still think the cross-service idea is the least problematic one on hand.
Vulcan is a founding Federation member. It has always been in it.
Old March 7 2014, 04:13 AM   #28
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

The line reads, "Future Police Record -- Code X731248." In other words, this is the future reference code for anyone seeking information on Harry Mudd's criminal activities. It wasn't meant to suggest time cops.
Old March 7 2014, 04:37 PM   #29
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
Shawnster wrote: View Post
I like the 23rd Century racism.
I don't understand. It was simply a way of identifiyng Spock (That IS your objection, yes?). How is that racism?
To put it in Earthican terms, 'Black Communications Officer Uhura' sounds particularly nasty, especially when Pike wasn't 'Caucasian Captain Pike'
Oh, I see. I still don't consider that sort of thing racism, but I understand the point better.

Thanks.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 06:11 PM   #30
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

and I think this item could be read on old-style, 20th century TV sets, at least a good one with superb reception, but you didn't have time to read it all.
Sometimes the art department isn't quite with it or made up SF fans.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Nebusj wrote: View Post

Vulcan is a founding Federation member. It has always been in it.
Not in the first season. Trek was still being "formed". The Enterprise was an Earth ship. There was no Federation. Spock's role might have been intended to be like T'Pol in Enterprise, a foreign national serving in Earth's space fleet. I believe there are examples of this in real world militaries.