Nimoy Documentary ON COPD In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 5 2014, 05:39 AM   #16
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: Definitive Proof That Academy Voters Are Ignorant About Animation

Dream wrote: View Post
It's important to remember that any animated film nominated in the Beast Animated Feature category can still be nominated for Best Picture, as Up and Toy Story 3 proved.
Yep, but the fact that they also have a separate award makes it very tough for them to win Best Picture. It saps them of some BP votes because people can honor them in a different category. They'd have a much better shot at winning Best Picture if there was no separate category for Best Animated Feature.
Old March 5 2014, 05:47 AM   #17
Dream
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Yep, but the fact that they also have a separate award makes it very tough for them to win Best Picture. It saps them of some BP votes because people can honor them in a different category. They'd have a much better shot at winning Best Picture if there was no separate category for Best Animated Feature.
Perhaps. But I'm glad the Best Animated Feature category was created in the first place. People that have been working on animated movies have been able to be awarded for their hard work since 2001. I think it would be insulting to get rid of the BAF category at this point.

Disney recently won their first BAF Award, even after making a decade of classic animated films in the 90s which have become known as the Disney Renaissance. Those films had no Oscar wins outside Best Original Song and Score which is a shame.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 09:33 PM   #18
Gaith
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Not everyone likes animated films, but if it tells a good story does it matter if it;s live-action or animated?
It absolutely can, if you live in LA and depend on the movie business for your livelihood. Say you or close friends of yours work in set construction, costuming, lighting, stunts, etc.: by and large, none of those people will be hired to work on an animated movie. People whose lives revolve around film production thus have a perfectly natural reason to not be wild about the prospect of more studio dollars going to render farms than jobs that benefit them personally. And sure, there are people who work on animated movies that wouldn't be hired to work on a live-action movie, but they don't balance each other out; those are different cultures. Heck, Pixar isn't even based in SoCal.

Animated movies probably would have started to fare well in the Best Picture category, including scoring some wins
No. (See above.)
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 09:51 PM   #19
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
Disagree. Most people who work in those fields aren't members of the Academy.

When Beauty and the Beast scored a Best Picture nomination in 1991 it was commonly thought within the industry that an animated film would eventually win Best Picture. There was enough sentiment in line with the kind of thinking you outlined above within the Academy leadership that they sought to prevent that from happening, most importantly with the creation of the Best Animated Feature category.

Even so, some animated movies have been nominated in both the Best Picture and Best Animated Feature categories, speaking to the strength of animated movies with rank and file Academy voters. If animated movies didn't have their own category they probably would have had a very good chance at scoring some Best Picture wins. For many Academy members they've largely replaced the musical as high quality family entertainment, movies that most Academy members have seen with their children and/or grandchildren and have appreciation for, and indeed a lot of non-Pixar animated movies actually are animated musicals.
Old March 5 2014, 10:24 PM   #20
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I don't have a problem with people who didn't vote because they didn't see them all, or anamation is not their thing, that's fine. I do have a problem with the arrogant douche who admited to abandoning his 6 year old in a theater while he made phone calls in the lobby. It may not be your 'thing' pal, but how about spending some time with your kid because it is his/her thing. I've sat through a lot of god-awful movies because my kids wanted to see them, and it was an experience that we could both share and talk about. Also, what kind of impression does it leave on the kid when Dad bails out on every movie the kid wants to see (and I really hope that he doesn't leave the kid alone in the theater).
Old March 5 2014, 10:50 PM   #21
MacLeod
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Not everyone likes animated films, but if it tells a good story does it matter if it;s live-action or animated?
It absolutely can, if you live in LA and depend on the movie business for your livelihood. Say you or close friends of yours work in set construction, costuming, lighting, stunts, etc.: by and large, none of those people will be hired to work on an animated movie. People whose lives revolve around film production thus have a perfectly natural reason to not be wild about the prospect of more studio dollars going to render farms than jobs that benefit them personally. And sure, there are people who work on animated movies that wouldn't be hired to work on a live-action movie, but they don't balance each other out; those are different cultures. Heck, Pixar isn't even based in SoCal.

Animated movies probably would have started to fare well in the Best Picture category, including scoring some wins
No. (See above.)
I was of course talking from a viewers persepective.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:28 PM   #22
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
So you didn't like Frozen? These are not full time jobs where people sit around and watch 45325 movies made every year.
You know something? It's about time that they be.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 08:54 PM   #23
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Umm... what's the problem?

These shows are lame jokes anyways, do you really care what they say? They voted Crash best movie. It should have won the way better Razzy award.
Old June 26 2014, 04:19 PM   #24
Doctorwhovian
Fleet Captain

I think the Fart Wind Rises was terrible.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 05:57 PM   #25
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

It is unfortunate that in the US animation is stereotyped as being for children.

But if they're only going to nominate kids movies, then don't just say "These aren't for me so I abstain", you can still make judgments about which film executed the craft the most successfully.

And, err... did that critic just confess in writing to child endangerment?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote