RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 436
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 10 2014, 02:17 PM   #31
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Re: Blu-Ray Wishlist of Fixes

Okay, I keep forgetting my own research. I gotta quit that early morning drinking...

From a prior post:
I checked the Blu-Ray of Balance of Terror last night and in both the hi-fi and mono tracks in the original effects versions, the 2006 newly orchestrated theme is there. The old visuals are intact, but the music is the newer version. I didn't really have time to go through to find other episodes (I think there's at least one more), but I can confirm Balance of Terror.

So the footage is correct, but the music is wrong.
Old March 11 2014, 10:49 AM   #32
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
You're hearing newly-added sound FX on the DVDs. Are you going to give up your DVDs because of that?
No, because for me that's the best version currently available. I still have the UK VHS tapes sitting on the shelf, but I don't have a player anymore (and The Changeling is cut there). This and the DVDs are a huge upgrade from VHS, so why should I buy BluRays that I know will not satisfy me anyway? Maybe one day there will be a fully restored version in production order (!), until then I will stick to the DVDs.
Old March 12 2014, 03:05 AM   #33
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
No, because for me that's the best version currently available.
I guess we have different definitions of "best." To me, best means the clearest representation of the actual film master, which is the BD.

I still have the UK VHS tapes sitting on the shelf, but I don't have a player anymore (and The Changeling is cut there).
What was cut from "The Changeling?"

This and the DVDs are a huge upgrade from VHS, so why should I buy BluRays that I know will not satisfy me anyway?
DVD to BD is a much greater resolution upgrade than was VHS to DVD. It's not even close. But, as I always say, whatever floats your boat.
Old March 12 2014, 07:56 AM   #34
Oso Blanco
Commodore

I guess we have different definitions of "best." To me, best means the clearest representation of the actual film master, which is the BD.
To each his own, I think.

[QUOTE=Hober Mallow;9349237]
What was cut from "The Changeling?"

I haven't watched the VHS in ages, but I remember that the missing parts were identical to the syndication cuts described in Phil Farrand's Nitpicker's Guide.

DVD to BD is a much greater resolution upgrade than was VHS to DVD. It's not even close. But, as I always say, whatever floats your boat.
On my tv (only 32" I must admit) the difference between VHS and DVD is much bigger than the difference between DVD and BD. Of course, if you have a 55" tv the difference between DVD and BD might be equally big. But for me, the DVDs are good enough.

Besides, my BD/TV combination does a pretty good upscaling job, so the DVDs look way better on tv than they do on my computer. Meaning that comparing screenshots doesn't do it justice.
Old March 12 2014, 01:30 PM   #35
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ Maybe a good time to offer a personal invitation to my home theatre? TOS footage 70" actual width in Full HD with a personal promise to stay clear of the CGI space VFX (the new matte paintings are worth a try, though, IMHO)

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 02:41 AM   #36
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

On my tv (only 32" I must admit) the difference between VHS and DVD is much bigger than the difference between DVD and BD.
That's not even close to true, but I'll stop harping on it.
Old March 13 2014, 10:54 AM   #37
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

On my tv (only 32" I must admit) the difference between VHS and DVD is much bigger than the difference between DVD and BD.
That's not even close to true...
This. I can tell a massive difference between DVD and Blu-ray, even on my 32" bedroom TV.
Old March 13 2014, 04:23 PM   #38
Hober Mallow
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
That's not even close to true...
This. I can tell a massive difference between DVD and Blu-ray, even on my 32" bedroom TV.
Yes, 420, or 480, or whatever, to 1080 is a much bigger increase in resolution from VHS to DVD, even if VHS was 0 resolution.
Old March 13 2014, 04:39 PM   #39
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

It's interesting that my VHS and Laserdiscs look so much worse next to DVD, but the DVD doesn't look nearly as bad in comparison to the Blu-Ray. I'm perfectly fine with the DVD prints and they look really good on my 50 inch HD screen. Granted, the Blu-Rays are insanely clear and sharp, but the DVDs look much sharper than the prior home video releases. Like all my DVDs, actually.
Old March 13 2014, 04:43 PM   #40
Oso Blanco
Commodore

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
It's interesting that my VHS and Laserdiscs look so much worse next to DVD, but the DVD doesn't look nearly as bad in comparison to the Blu-Ray. I'm perfectly fine with the DVD prints and they look really good on my 50 inch HD screen. Granted, the Blu-Rays are insanely clear and sharp, but the DVDs look much sharper than the prior home video releases. Like all my DVDs, actually.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one ...
Old March 13 2014, 05:18 PM   #41
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

I'm not denying the numbers. There is a greater span of resolution (or whatever) between DVD and Blu ray than VHS and DVD. But my DVDs look much more clear and sharp next to Blu Ray than VHS does next to DVD. If I'm making any sense. Most classic TV shows are on DVD and they look great. The VHS counterparts look comparatively awful. Go figure.
Old March 13 2014, 09:12 PM   #42
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
I'm not denying the numbers. There is a greater span of resolution (or whatever) between DVD and Blu ray than VHS and DVD. But my DVDs look much more clear and sharp next to Blu Ray than VHS does next to DVD. If I'm making any sense. Most classic TV shows are on DVD and they look great. The VHS counterparts look comparatively awful. Go figure.
I think part of it is the equipment you watch it on. Play the DVD on a SD tube vs. the Blu-ray on a 1080p setup. The Blu-ray will absolutely blow the DVD out of the water. DVD's do get a kick when played in 1080p, but still look soft and fuzzy with muted colors when compared to a BRD.