Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 7 2014, 03:31 AM   #16
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Re: Blu-Ray Wishlist of Fixes

I know it's heresy but I think they should have gone all-in on the BDs and TNG-ized the phasers, photons, and warp and impulse effects. They were changing the effects anyway so why not go all the way?

Defiant just looks too pretty in IAMD 1 & 2.
Old March 7 2014, 03:35 AM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
The OP already stated that

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
A couple of episodes on the Blu-Rays have the new CGI credits no matter which option you choose.
And as far as I remember, some of the new effects are still there even if you're watching the BDs in classic mode. That's what I've read, anyway. The point being: You can't have the original TOS in HD, not even the DVD TOS. I'd be perfectly happy with the DVDs upgraded to DVD, but they didn't even manage to release Enterprise in a satisfying manner on BD!
Source about the TOS Blu-ray's? I have them and have never noticed this problem.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 04:39 AM   #18
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I know it's heresy but I think they should have gone all-in on the BDs and TNG-ized the phasers, photons, and warp and impulse effects. They were changing the effects anyway so why not go all the way?

Defiant just looks too pretty in IAMD 1 & 2.
It looks like a video game from 2000.
Old March 7 2014, 12:19 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
The OP already stated that

A couple of episodes on the Blu-Rays have the new CGI credits no matter which option you choose.
And as far as I remember, some of the new effects are still there even if you're watching the BDs in classic mode. That's what I've read, anyway. The point being: You can't have the original TOS in HD, not even the DVD TOS. I'd be perfectly happy with the DVDs upgraded to DVD, but they didn't even manage to release Enterprise in a satisfying manner on BD!
Source about the TOS Blu-ray's? I have them and have never noticed this problem.
I'm interested in a source for these rumors as well? I've never had any real issues besides the hiccup where the new effects play for a half-second before switching to the original effects on my old Magnavox player I bought in 2009. On both my PS3 and PS4, the playback is flawless.
Old March 7 2014, 10:04 PM   #20
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

I've never seen the "Remastered" opening titles when I've selected the original versions, but a few of the episodes do have the 2006 recording of the main title music on the mono track. It's been awhile since I've watched them, but "Miri" is an episode I'm thinking afflicted with this issue.
Old March 8 2014, 07:41 PM   #21
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

This is exactly why I will stick to my DVDs instead of upgrading to the BDs. This and the horrible new FX.
The DVD versions have been altered as well, with things like the ship engine rumble being added where it wasn't there before, so if you think by watching your DVDs you're getting at experience closer to the original episode, you're not.

AFAIK, not a single home release of TOS, whether VHS, DVD, or bluray, has ever been exactly faithful to the original broadcasts.

"The horrible new FX" -- and I agree, many are horrible -- are merely an option you can choose; they have nothing to do with the remaster, which was completed before the new FX were added. I watch the remastered episodes with the original FX.
BillJ wrote: View Post
The Blu-ray's also have the original effects.
That doesn't always work, as far as I've heard.
I've never had a problem. And some of the original FX actually hold up pretty well in HD.
Old March 9 2014, 02:52 AM   #22
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Campe98 wrote: View Post
Hate to be nitpicky (but I think this is a fair thing based on the thread ) but the WNMHGB is a cut not a jump cut. A jump cut indicates there is obvious missing footage.
You're right, my bad. It's just no longer a dissolve. Thanks!
Sorry, you're both wrong about what a jump cut is.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 12:26 PM   #23
Oso Blanco
Commodore

I don't have a source, I think I must have read about it ... probably here on this board. At least the part about the opening credits seems to be confirmed, though.
Old March 9 2014, 04:36 PM   #24
Harvey
Admiral

By whom? The problems with the audio are well known, but I haven't read anything about the picture being problematic.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 08:15 PM   #25
SpHeRe31459
Captain

By whom? The problems with the audio are well known, but I haven't read anything about the picture being problematic.
Agreed. If there were problems, it is not in the Blu-ray discs, it is in the player. Someone already said they had that minor issue with their older and cheap Magnavox (made by Funai a Chinese brand) player.

Back when Blu-ray format was new some players had issues with branches, etc. Good brand name players usually had this fixed through firmware updates. And players made in the last two or three years generally wouldn't even have those issues in the first place since the BD format is now reasonably mature.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 08:53 PM   #26
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Agreed. If there were problems, it is not in the Blu-ray discs, it is in the player. Someone already said they had that minor issue with their older and cheap Magnavox (made by Funai a Chinese brand) player.

Back when Blu-ray format was new some players had issues with branches, etc. Good brand name players usually had this fixed through firmware updates. And players made in the last two or three years generally wouldn't even have those issues in the first place since the BD format is now reasonably mature.
I had an old Magnavox which would annoyingly show me an ANGLE camera icon in the corner of my screen whenever an FX scene would pop up, but that was my player, not the disc. No problems at all on my new player.
Old March 9 2014, 09:37 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
The Magnavox player has some issues handling branching and it had the annoying angle bug for a while (can't remember how I got it to go away) but the player is solid and has played every disc I've thrown at it for the past four-and-a-half years.
Old March 9 2014, 09:43 PM   #28
Oso Blanco
Commodore

The problems with the audio are well known
Isn't that bad enough? I don't want to hear any re-recorded opening music!
Old March 9 2014, 10:07 PM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

Okay? No one is forcing you to buy the Blu-ray's. Just stating that whatever you've heard about the video quality is grossly overstated.
Old March 10 2014, 12:49 AM   #30
Hober Mallow
Commodore

You're hearing newly-added sound FX on the DVDs. Are you going to give up your DVDs because of that?