Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 5 2014, 12:14 AM   #16
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Re: For the 50th anniversery

Unfortunately the 50th anniversary will go by with a whimper, even with the movie revitalization. It's not the hot Hollywood commodity it once was.
Old March 5 2014, 12:34 AM   #17
Shik
Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
dub wrote: View Post
I think we can throw the unfeasible argument out the window!
Not in the real world, we can't.

Do highly unlikely things happen sometimes? Sure, but that doesn't make them any less unlikely. You can't just dismiss practical considerations as though they don't matter.

I mean, I'd love to see a $200 million feature-length revival of CLEOPATRA 2525, too, but I'm not holding my breath.
I see your Cleopatra 2525...& raise you Time TRAX.
Old March 5 2014, 12:42 AM   #18
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Shik wrote: View Post
dub wrote: View Post
I think we can throw the unfeasible argument out the window!

Do highly unlikely things happen sometimes? Sure, but that doesn't make them any less unlikely. You can't just dismiss practical considerations as though they don't matter.

I mean, I'd love to see a $200 million feature-length revival of CLEOPATRA 2525, too, but I'm not holding my breath.
Not Relic Hunter?
Old March 5 2014, 01:05 AM   #19
Shik
Commander

Not Relic Hunter?
Meh...I mean, sure hot-as-fuck Tia Carrere, but...I was never into the Lara Croft thing. Too much a relic of the Pitfall Harry & Indiana Jones era. Now, offer me Space Precinct & I'm yours.
Old March 5 2014, 01:37 AM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Not Relic Hunter?
Meh...I mean, sure hot-as-fuck Tia Carrere, but...I was never into the Lara Croft thing. Too much a relic of the Pitfall Harry & Indiana Jones era. Now, offer me Space Precinct & I'm yours.
Throw in The 4400 and we have a deal.
Old March 5 2014, 02:22 AM   #21
Shik
Commander

Not Relic Hunter?
Hm. Never watched it, barely heard of it, know nothing about it, so normally I'd say go screw, but....well, I'm tired, & someone already invaded the Crimea again, which killed my plans for tonight, so....yeah, fuck it. We're in business.
Old March 5 2014, 04:10 AM   #22
HIjol
Captain

...stay with me with here, please...

Cameron gets $1B to come up with a Trek that encompasses as many REASONABLE iterations of Trek as he can bring together in One Big Story Line...all of them from TOS to TAS (on the rec room TV screen, for example) to VOY to DS9 to the Movies and beyond...

Wait, wait, wait!!!...hear me out...

The Money comes from a combination of "Us" fans Crowdfunding, potential stars deferring salary for percentage, studio(s) same, and merchandising money down epic...

Of course we could not have main stars like "Bones" ("...dammit, Jim...I'm dead!...) as main characters for a lot of screen time, but combine what they did in DS 9 "Trial and Tribbles-ations" with what Cameron and the technology today is capable of, and just about all of the stars, dead, alive too old, or borderline, can have their moment...

...the best part, to me, is the Crowdfunding could give us some participation, if not an eeentsie bit of story control/direction, and the money would be there to carry it off...

...feasible?...I want it to be...
...doable?....I have no doubt
...visionary?...of course!
...delusional?

...ok, let me have it!!!!!...thanks for "listening"...!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 05:22 PM   #23
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ Yup. Delusional. But your post -- maybe even the whole thread -- was worth reading for this:

HIjol wrote: View Post
...dammit, Jim...I'm dead!...
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 05:27 PM   #24
Shik
Commander

If you're gonna do it, do it right, I always say:

Long ago, I'd actually built a WAV file of him saying that. Alas.
Old March 5 2014, 05:47 PM   #25
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
This is as close as you're gonna get:
I've never quite understood how those don't get cease and desist letters. Did they actually seek permission, or do TBTB just not care because it's non-profit? (It is, isn't it?)
Basically, as long as they're not selling it and making a profit, CBS turns a blind eye. It helps fuel the fanbase and doesn't cost them any money. They used to be much more strict about it (in the 90s) but have become more lax in recent years.
It's like a 21st century extension of the Trek fanzines that were huge in the 70's and 80's... although none of them had Kickstarter funding which is probably a whole can of iffy legal worms.

Anyway, while we're on this, I think Of Gods and Men counts as close to a TOS reunion movie as anyone's ever gonna get.

It's no masterpiece, but I was grinning ear-to-ear to see Chekov and Uhura back in uniform.
Old March 5 2014, 07:33 PM   #26
HIjol
Captain

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^ Yup. Delusional. But your post -- maybe even the whole thread -- was worth reading for this:

HIjol wrote: View Post
...dammit, Jim...I'm dead!...

"Delusional" was kinda the reaction I was thinking I would get, but By Grabthar's Hammer, if we do not dream big...?!?!?!?!

...but a sincere thanks for the feedback, and nice choice on the Avatar...one of the, perhaps, lesser known characters in ALL of Trekdom, but certainly one of the most complex, troubled and unique...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Old March 5 2014, 09:16 PM   #27
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Hm. Never watched it, barely heard of it, know nothing about it, so normally I'd say go screw, but....well, I'm tired, & someone already invaded the Crimea again, which killed my plans for tonight, so....yeah, fuck it. We're in business.
You're breaking my heart, you know that? (Say the guy who wrote half of the 4400 novels . . ..)
Old March 5 2014, 11:15 PM   #28
Shik
Commander

You're breaking my heart, you know that? (Say the guy who wrote half of the 4400 novels . . ..)
A) I pretty much stopped watching television 10 years ago. Anything I've seen since then has been downloaded, & most of that has been old things or movies. B) My research shows the subject to be something I find completely non-compelling or interesting. "OOOooOOO SPOOOKY!" FEH.

Now, if you'd said you wrote books based on Now And Again...WELL.
Old April 2 2014, 05:32 PM   #29
HIjol
Captain

Old April 2 2014, 07:54 PM   #30
T'Cal
Commodore

I like the idea of a week long miniseries that crosses over the various eras. There was video game that did a pretty good job of this called ST: Legacy IIRC.