Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 4 2014, 03:13 PM   #31
Vandervecken
Commander

Re: How desperate are you for a new Trek TV series?

TheGoodStuff wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Desperate is the wrong word 'Yearnful' is better.
This. Desperate conveys the wrong emotions and I have hours upon hours of TV & movies to keep me entertained. I would love a new Trek show but it would have to be done right, which means...

1. Prime Timeline. Which SHOULD have been done instead of JJ running back to Kirk etc in my opinion.
  2. Well written, like Enterprise seasons 3 & 4 not seasons 1 & 2.
  3. Lets create a deeper, more permanent show like DS9 with the adventure of TNG/VOY.
I wouldn't mind seeing DS9 itself pick up where it left off, with some new characters, obviously.

But I am not so desperate that I would want to see ANYTHING remotely connected to Abrams/nuTrek.

Another possibility that strikes me as fun would be to set a new series in the future, with effectively warp 10+/transwarp drive and common (or at least more common) extragalactic travel.
Old March 4 2014, 03:49 PM   #32
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Meh, I'd watch one if it were on of course, but I don't consider a new Trek series to be a priority. To be honest, at the moment, I'd just like new programming in general. The new season of Doctor Who is still over five months away, Defiance three months. I watch The Walking Dead when the season gets its DVD release, so that won't be until the summer probably. Hell, there aren't even any movies for me to see in March. If it weren't for Pawn Stars, I wouldn't even have a reason to turn my TV on at the moment.
Hah. I'm in the opposite situation. I can barely keep up with all the good returning shows: The Americans, Bates Motel, Hannibal, Vikings, etc.
Old March 4 2014, 03:51 PM   #33
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I don't see how it really matters if a series set post-TOS era references the Kirk who fought the Gorn or the Kirk who fought Nero. It doesn't really matter, if all it's going to be is the odd mention.

Expecting a new show to continue the tone and style of TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT is wishful thinking. Television has moved on.
Old March 4 2014, 04:19 PM   #34
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

anh165 wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Desperate is the wrong word 'Yearnful' is better.
This. Desperate conveys the wrong emotions and I have hours upon hours of TV & movies to keep me entertained. I would love a new Trek show but it would have to be done right, which means...

1. Prime Timeline. Which SHOULD have been done instead of JJ running back to Kirk etc in my opinion.
  3. Lets create a deeper, more permanent show like DS9 with the adventure of TNG/VOY.
Why "SHOULD" anyone in 2014 invest in a TV series and re-use the same mediocre concepts and stories that got Trek cancelled nearly 9 years ago?!

The level of self-indulgence and delusion boggles the mind here!
Well aren't you special.

As much as it pains me to deprive you of an opportunity to feel like you're better than people, they should invest because it's a valuable franchise that will get people to check it out just by having its name. And the idea is that it wouldn't reuse the same mediocre concepts and stories, it would come up with new, well written stories with a fresh, modernized take on the same established universe. Nobody wants another TNG rehash like Voyager. They just want Star Trek to keep what makes it special instead of becoming just another popcorn action flick.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 04:45 PM   #35
Vandervecken
Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Meh, I'd watch one if it were on of course, but I don't consider a new Trek series to be a priority. To be honest, at the moment, I'd just like new programming in general. The new season of Doctor Who is still over five months away, Defiance three months. I watch The Walking Dead when the season gets its DVD release, so that won't be until the summer probably. Hell, there aren't even any movies for me to see in March. If it weren't for Pawn Stars, I wouldn't even have a reason to turn my TV on at the moment.
Hah. I'm in the opposite situation. I can barely keep up with all the good returning shows: The Americans, Bates Motel, Hannibal, Vikings, etc.

H5 on The Americans! Also The Following and Justified.
Old March 4 2014, 04:50 PM   #36
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I'll do anything to get STAR TREK back on the air, do you hear me? ANYTHING!!! Because I can't ... live ... without it!!!
Dorothy told me to warn you of what happened when Rose posted the Personal Ad that Dorothy would do ANYTHING (For $8.00 an hour)
I don't remember anyone named ... "Dorothy." Dot ... Dot, honey ... reveal yourself!
Golden Girls Episode

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 06:30 PM   #37
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Not at all. I'm sick of remakes and reboots (and not just pertaining to Trek). Give me something original.
Old March 4 2014, 07:22 PM   #38
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Not at all. If it is Trek-like in the way I like, great. If just action-adventure, nope. YMMV.
Old March 4 2014, 08:15 PM   #39
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

Desperate conveys the wrong emotions and I have hours upon hours of TV & movies to keep me entertained. I would love a new Trek show but it would have to be done right, which means...

I agree. Moving forward is the way to go. A 25th century TNG/DS9 hybrid (with nuBSG production values) would be ideal!
Make it a big Colony-ship to the Beta-quadrant or something to avoid Canon. Sort of like a moving DS9/Babylon-5.

Prequels and reboots? Meh. No thanks.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:01 PM   #40
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I don't care about the timeline, sure I could come up with preferences but I just want modern feeling good tv Trek set in the Trek universe

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:42 PM   #41
Vandervecken
Commander

Isolinear wrote: View Post
Desperate conveys the wrong emotions and I have hours upon hours of TV & movies to keep me entertained. I would love a new Trek show but it would have to be done right, which means...

I agree. Moving forward is the way to go. A 25th century TNG/DS9 hybrid (with nuBSG production values) would be ideal!
Make it a big Colony-ship to the Beta-quadrant or something to avoid Canon. Sort of like a moving DS9/Babylon-5.

Prequels and reboots? Meh. No thanks.
How about the future? As far in the future relative to DS9 as DS9 is to TOS?
Old March 4 2014, 10:43 PM   #42
Vandervecken
Commander

teacake wrote: View Post
I don't care about the timeline, sure I could come up with preferences but I just want modern feeling good tv Trek set in the Trek universe
With story arcs!
Old March 5 2014, 12:27 AM   #43
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I'm afraid that the days of STAR TREK's dowdy, cerbral image are well and truly over. Time to sex up the television franchise with popcorn sensibilities. If they make it entertaining, exciting and passionate enough, they may even end up calling it STAR TREK: Gets - as in "gets" the ratings! It paints a pretty picture ...
Old March 5 2014, 03:33 AM   #44
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Time to sex up the television franchise with popcorn sensibilities.
Scandal, The Blacklist, NCIS, Homeland, some of the most popular scripted show on TV today. Which of them fit the profile of sexy popcorn? In the top ten, top twenty, which fits?

Merry Christmas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 03:35 AM   #45
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Time to sex up the television franchise with popcorn sensibilities.
Scandal, The Blacklist, NCIS, Homeland, some of the most popular scripted show on TV today. Which of them fit the profile of sexy popcorn? In the top ten, top twenty, which fits?

Yeah, the best TV these days is arguably better than it's ever been.