RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 407
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 28 2014, 01:18 AM   #1
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

KISS Won’t Perform At Their Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction

Yes, the RRHOF sadly (IMHO) bowed down to pressure and inducted KISS (I like to think of them as PISS, instead) into the RRHOF. But, the stupid no talent losers won't go to the ceremony because the RRHOF asked for the original lineup (Peter Criss, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley) and Simmons and Stanley only want to play with the current lineup (guitarist Tommy Thayer and drummer Eric Singer, the current and respective new versions of Frehley’s and Criss’s on-stage characters, the “Spaceman” and the “Catman.”)

If this isn't being a bunch of assholes to the organization after it extended the olive branch, I don't know what is.

KISS Won’t Perform At Their Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction

If it hasn't already been shown, I don't think that KISS deserves to be in the RRHOF; I think that the council should have stuck to it's guns on this matter. However, others here like/love them, and will have a different opinion. Fire away, and all apologies if this has already been posted.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 06:49 PM   #2
EnterpriseF
Commander

Re: KISS Won’t Perform At Their Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction

I agree with you 100%. I never liked their music as a kid and I sure as hell don't like them now. Never understood why people like this drek and ignore bands like Iron Maiden.
Old February 28 2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

Not really a fan. I think I liked one of their songs and it wasn't good enough to bother finding out what it was.
I think KISS gained popularity because of their shows. Music sucked, but they put on an entertaining show at the time. You can see the effects of marks they've left on the music industry by showing that you can gain success in the music industry simply by looking the part.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Oh, please.

Whether you are a fan or not, there is no denying the influence that KISS has had on the music industry, other musicians and Rock and Roll in general.

Given that, and the bands longevity, not putting KISS in the RRHOF would be a serious disservice to the band, its millions of fans and the Hall itself.

And it does suck that the band won't play at the induction. I sense the massive egos of Gene Simmons and Paul "Prima Donna" Stanley at play here.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; March 1 2014 at 07:48 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 09:21 PM   #5
J.T.B.
Commodore

I'm not a Kiss fan myself, but they didn't do anything worse than countless pop acts before them had done: Give kids something new, fun and different to get in to, and something naughty enough to shock the parents a little. The fact that they were calculated to meet that formula is beside the point. I don't care if they (or anyone else) get in the HoF (though for pre-'80s American "metal" I'd personally vote for Blue Oyster Cult), but I am glad that that they didn't go in before Alice Cooper.

ETA:
And it does suck that the band won't play at the induction. I sense the massive egos of Gene Simmons and Paul "Prima Donna" Stanley at play here.
Yeah, I don't think there's much doubt about that.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 05:12 PM   #6
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Gene Simmons said that they never refused to play with Criss and Frehley, but that they wanted to include the current members as well (who have been in the band longer than Criss and Frehley were). It's hard to believe they can't come up with something for their fans...

As for their music...meh. They were certainly fun and novel in the 70's, but their songs are pretty simple and sort of lowest common denominator, IMHO. I loved them when I was 12, but haven't bought or listened to an album of theirs in 30+ years.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 08:24 PM   #7
urbandefault
Captain

As much as I'd like to see the band back together, so to speak, I think it would be a little awkward at this point for the original four to try to perform at the HOF show. Too much time has passed, too much water under the bridge. If it were the "reunion" era it would be a different story.

I think Simmons and Stanley are entertainment and marketing geniuses. They turned what might have been just another mediocre "here today, gone tomorrow" band into an industry that has lasted 40 years. Regardless of their musical talent, that to me is an enormous feat.

It would be cool to have the original four, with Thayer and Singer, in the audience while a group of musicians who were influenced by the band play a medley of the hits.
Old March 3 2014, 12:44 AM   #8
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

KISS deserves to be in. I'm relatively indifferent to them (I'll listen to their songs, but I don't think I own any), but it's still hard to deny they're "scary" bubblegum pop meets metal music was important to rock.

As for not performing. Meh, it's happened many times before. Sex Pistols, Black Sabbath, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Guns N' Roses, David Bowie, Paul McCartney. Both good and bad, assholes and seemingly reasonable people have all chosen not to perform.
Old March 3 2014, 03:34 PM   #9
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Kiss should have been in years ago. The real injustice is that DEVO isn't in there yet.
Old March 3 2014, 03:38 PM   #10
Pingfah
Admiral

Well, since it is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and not the Rock and Roll Hall of Good Rock Bands, they should probably go in.

They are total shite though.
Old March 3 2014, 04:07 PM   #11
Relayer1
Commodore

Like 'm or not, Kiss deserve the recognition.

That said, the RRHOF is a bunch of self appointed self aggrandizing jerks who shouldn't be given the respect they get. Its not a collection of the great and good in music, set up to give credit where it's due, it's a profit making commercial venture with its own self serving agenda.
Old March 3 2014, 04:54 PM   #12
Green Shirt
Commodore

Weren't they on the back cover (or somewhere) on some early issues of Starlog Magazine? I don't care for them or their music, but IIRC, they were the only band featured by the magazine.
Old March 3 2014, 09:46 PM   #13
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I gotta say, I'm with KISS on this one. Why should any lineup other than the current one be expected to perform? Lineups change all the time. KISS still exists today, and it's Simmons/Stanley/Thayer/Singer. So why shouldn't that lineup be the one performing?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 12:17 AM   #14
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^Because THAT is the line-up that made them big. THAT is the line-up from when they were bigger than God. THAT LINE-UP IS THE REASON THEY ARE BEING INDUCTED IN THE FIRST PLACE!

I couldn't possibly care less about Eric Singer or (especially) Tommy Thayer. They are just substitutes for the real thing. If they weren't, then Gene would let them create their own IDs (like Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent did back in the day) instead of trying to pass them off as Ace and Peter.

The last time KISS came into town, they advertised a meet & greet/photo op for $2000. If it were $500 a piece to meet Ace, Gene, Paul and Peter, (and if I actually had that kind of money), I would possibly do that. But, AFAIC, this set up was $1000 to meet Gene and Paul and their sidekicks.

Without Ace and Peter, Paul would still be driving a cab and Gene would still be teaching school in Harlem and KISS would never have been.

THAT is why.
Old March 4 2014, 02:06 AM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ So what if one of the original members had died? Then obviously the 'classic' lineup could never be reconstructed. What would you have them do then?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote