Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 8 2014, 06:40 AM   #91
fireproof78
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Dune: The TV series

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Em..... no.
Em..... yes.
And I think that wraps this thread up. Thank you all for playing the parts of speech game
fireproof78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 08:07 AM   #92
Reverend
Rear Admiral

The popularity (or lack thereof) of the books isn't the point. The fact is the prequel novels are very badly written and the Bularian Jihad ones are the worst of the bunch. The material is underdeveloped, hackneyed, devoid of any of the subtlety or undertones present in Herbert Senior's work and is just plain awful. Not what I'd call a good basis for a TV show.

The ONLY way it'd be any good is if a new writer were allowed to basically start from scratch and even then it's unlikely they'll be able to live up to Herbert's legacy.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 10:05 AM   #93
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Reverend wrote: View Post
The popularity (or lack thereof) of the books isn't the point. The fact is the prequel novels are very badly written and the Bularian Jihad ones are the worst of the bunch. The material is underdeveloped, hackneyed, devoid of any of the subtlety or undertones present in Herbert Senior's work and is just plain awful. Not what I'd call a good basis for a TV show.

The ONLY way it'd be any good is if a new writer were allowed to basically start from scratch and even then it's unlikely they'll be able to live up to Herbert's legacy.
Well said, Reverend.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 12:08 AM   #94
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

On a related note, the documentary Jodorowsky's Dune, about the failed attempt to bring Dune to the screen in the 70's, came out on disc today and I just got done watching it. Alejandro Jodorowsky certainly is an oddball, but damn if he isn't passionate about his work! I'd definitely recommend it to all my fellow Dune fans here.
Old July 9 2014, 12:59 AM   #95
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
On a related note, the documentary Jodorowsky's Dune, about the failed attempt to bring Dune to the screen in the 70's, came out on disc today and I just got done watching it. Alejandro Jodorowsky certainly is an oddball, but damn if he isn't passionate about his work! I'd definitely recommend it to all my fellow Dune fans here.
I fully intend to watch it one day.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 02:09 AM   #96
JD
Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
^ Limiting the topic is exclusionary as it precludes anyone who has never read the 'old-school' Dune stuff but might have read the newer books from participating.
I honestly didn't even think these kind of people existed before you wrote this post. I just started the Dune books a couple years ago, and I started with the original. I just assumed everybody did that.
Old July 9 2014, 01:05 PM   #97
lurok
Commodore

Ditto.

They're going to get a bit of a culture/literary shock when they get to the originals
Old July 9 2014, 05:29 PM   #98
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, anyone who feels left out of the conversation because they haven't read the original books, should really go away and read the original books. That way, they get to see the difference between a masterpiece and trashy schlock AND they get to join in the conversation. Win win!

Last edited by Reverend; July 9 2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old July 10 2014, 05:40 AM   #99
fireproof78
Lieutenant Commander

Reverend wrote: View Post
Yeah, anyone who feels left out of the conversation because they haven't read the original books, should really go away and read the original books. That way, they get to see the difference between a masterpiece and trashy schlock AND they get to join in the conversation. Win win!
The first one is still my favorite. Hands down, the most interesting book in the series.
fireproof78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 03:58 PM   #100
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I think before anyone decides to read Dune, they should watch this. It's a great Primer on the book and will give the reader needed insight to make understanding the book easier.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 08:23 PM   #101
JD
Admiral

That was pretty good. I've never seen it before.
Old July 22 2014, 09:54 PM   #102
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I don't know, it took me three attempt to get through Dune the first time (I had reading difficulties as a young man.) Now I've since read it like four more times over the years, but that first time felt like a right of passage and those subsequent readthroughs enabled me to really digest a lot of what's going on between the lines. So I'm not sure if I would recommend someone basically check out the cliff notes first.

This is just me, but I'd say if someone has an interest, then they'll persevere. If not, then they won't, regardless of they know ahead of time. Hell, all I needed to get me started was watching the David Lynch film--which also took me several attempts to get through the whole thing!