Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 21 2014, 06:07 PM   #1
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Ent-E bridge WINDOW?

Was the refitted Enterprise-E at the end of Nemesis supposed to have an actual window replacing the viewscreen-where-a-window-would-be that was a Trek staple until ST'09? The zoom-out at the end of the alternate ending (the one with Commander Madden and the new, seatbelt-equipped captain's chair) looks like it was meant to continue and be CG'd over with the exterior of the ship.
Old March 21 2014, 06:17 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Ent-E bridge WINDOW?

Probably just where the viewscreen is suppose to go. Plug and play.
Old March 21 2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Yeah, they likely meant to show that the gap was still there, that the forcefield was in place until the new and improved viewscreen was plugged in.

It doesn't look like a window, too much "missing".
Old March 22 2014, 04:33 PM   #4
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Wasn't the viewscreen actually a window in Nemesis? During the battle, the bridge gets hit, there's the sound of shattering glass to go along with the shattering viewscreen.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 06:49 PM   #5
Mage
Commodore

Wouldn't it be a massive use of power to have an EMERGENCY forcefield on all the time, even if it is in spacedock? I doubt they'd cover a hole in the bridge with a forcefield just so people could walk around there. Heck, the rest of the bridge seems perfectly fine and repaired, so I doubt they'd leave that gaping hole Shinzon blew in it while the rest of the bridge was fine.
Old March 22 2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Deleted scene so not exactly canon.
Old March 22 2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Timo
Admiral

Wasn't the viewscreen actually a window in Nemesis? During the battle, the bridge gets hit, there's the sound of shattering glass to go along with the shattering viewscreen.
Hard to tell, because the damage doesn't consist of intact walls and a hole the shape and size of the former viewscreen; the frame is extensively torn, too. I doubt a window was intended, though, as it's clear from the exterior shots that there's no corresponding opening on the outside of the ship.

Wouldn't it be a massive use of power to have an EMERGENCY forcefield on all the time, even if it is in spacedock?
Probably not, considering that forcefields are in constant or near-constant use in other applications, most of them at least as crucial as keeping air in. Say, forcefields supposedly prevent the antimatter fuel from blowing up the ship - for years at an end. Somewhat shorter-duration forcefields also keep prisoners in the cells, and air inside the shuttlebays whenever the doors are open, etc.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 07:44 PM   #8
publiusr
Commodore

Now that bridge set was designed to shake, and I just think we are seeing camera pass thrus as the camera platforms themselves were on the main floor--with arms reaching through the holes in the set. The two columns to either side are probably some bracing to hold everything so. Then the Greenscreen is just beyond, with lights shining on the actors faces also aimed through the holes.

I don't think that is to represent a window...

What you might call a working set.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Captain Mike
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
No, if I remember correctly in First Contact, that the "viewscreen wasn't just that. Wasn't it a holographic image projected onto it?
Old March 23 2014, 06:47 PM   #10
Timo
Admiral

In ST:FC, the viewscreen was turned off when we first saw it - just like in TOS. When it was turned off, it looked like this:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tacthd0231.jpg

Hologram or not? All the viewscreen images are "projections" of some sort. And in TNG, they were always three-dimensional: if you walked to the side of the bridge when Tomalak was raving and ranting on screen, you would see his cheek. The same would have been true of TOS, had the TOS viewscreen been filmed from the side rather than from directly ahead - it's cheaper to shoot imagery of Tomalak or Kor from the side and insert that into the shot than to shoot imagery of the opponent from front and then optically distort that so that it looks as if viewed from an angle.

I guess we could make the point that the TOS image was projected onto an obvious canvas the size of the image, whereas the ST:FC "canvas" is just a bit of wall...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 03:56 AM   #11
Shat Happens
Captain

That frame is so useless it could be used in a caption contest here at the bbs.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 05:08 AM   #12
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
Data: ``Tom Servo makes this job look so easy.''
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 08:41 PM   #13
Redfern
Commodore

Nebusj wrote: View Post
Shat Happens wrote: View Post
Data: ``Tom Servo makes this job look so easy.''
Post of the month!!!

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 02:39 AM   #14
Tiberius
Commodore

Timo wrote: View Post
And in TNG, they were always three-dimensional: if you walked to the side of the bridge when Tomalak was raving and ranting on screen, you would see his cheek.
Not always. I distinctly remember a few times when the image we saw was 2D, like a television. I suppose it would be whether the person you are talking to is transmitting a 3D or 2D image.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 02:55 PM   #15
Richard Baker
Commander

I hated the FC viewscreen being projected like a curtain over a blank wall- imagine spending the whole day with that wall right in front of you instead of a nice moving starfield...

It does look like a window in that shot- it could also just be the socket where they plug in a viewsceen later since they are still assembling the bridge in that scene. Star Trek resorted to the concept of Bridge Modules to explain how that part of the ship changed from movie to movie. Logically they would just unplug the wrecked bridge and plug in a replacement instead of doing things piecemeal. Perhaps the Sovereign class was too new to have a bunch of modules available for this...
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote