Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 3 2014, 05:48 AM   #16
1moreRobot
Ensign

Re: Question about uniform changes

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Honestly, I'm a big fan of the original uniforms seen in TNG's first 2 seasons. I would've been happy if they kept that.
I'm with you 100%.
1moreRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 06:00 AM   #17
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

I really wish they would've done those uniforms originally conceived for Generations. Those looked, to me, like a nice functional blend of the formal uniforms and the colors.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 07:33 PM   #18
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

Could the difference in uniforms be designated to sectors of operations?
TNG style could be all primary fleets, while Voyager/DS9 style was apart of secondary fleets?
Has anyone ever really researched into this? Does anyone know of a specific site that might explain? (Yes I know of the main sites that might Im going to check up now)
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 11:44 PM   #19
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Understood, sir! I have very mixed feelings about the jackets, myself. 24th Century dress uniforms really need to look crisp, in my opinion. Like Officer's Dress Whites in the U.S. Navy, they are smart looking. The white dress uniforms seen in Riker/Troi's NEMESIS wedding could've used that. I don't care for them much.
Old March 20 2014, 05:48 PM   #20
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

So, onto season 5 episode 10, and theyve swapped to the grey shoulder jackets and colored shirts underneathe like in nemesis. So this kinda ruins the idea of uniforms being for different sectors of operations. And im back to believing that the uniforms change just from time and starfleet updating uniforms. Yes this still doesnt account for them.switching back to TNG style on earth.
unless we were right the first time, the the grey shoulder jackets are the new updated uniform from thw multipul sector styles?
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 11:19 AM   #21
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Perhaps Starfleet switched primary uniforms to the FC type, and at the same time decided that due to DS9's ever-growing importance that the senior staff should wear the formal uniform as opposed to the optional coveralls they all loved.
Old March 21 2014, 12:30 PM   #22
Lance
Commodore

I always assumed it was intended to be a starship/starbase distinction in the TNG era.

(Certainly this is what DS9: "Emissary" seems to be implying. Sisko, Dax, Bashir and O'Brien all wear the TNG outfit at various points in the episode, largely because they all arrive at the station directly from starship duty).

Although the Real-Life explanation was far more mundane: simply a need to distinguish TNG and DS9 on a visual level, so that the new kid on the block looked distinct and unique from its parent for any audiences that were channel surfing.

As for why VOY makes the switch, pre-production sketches for set designs etc for "VOY: Caretaker" show crewmembers wearing the standard TNG outfit, so I assume the decision to switch to the DS9 jumpsuits was made quite late in the day. Maybe even after the decision was made to use the DS9 jumpsuits in GENS when the originally planned new uniforms proved inadequate for their purpose.

I do like the fan ret-con theory that the DS9 jumpsuits were ALWAYS an alternative uniform and it was just down to what the ship's XO considered appropriate for their mission.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 12:38 AM   #23
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

This is a real-world thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_of_the_day

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 12:42 PM   #24
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

At the beginning of DS9, it was clearly the destinction between starship and starbase personnel.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 11:35 PM   #25
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Lance wrote: View Post
(Certainly this is what DS9: "Emissary" seems to be implying. Sisko, Dax, Bashir and O'Brien all wear the TNG outfit at various points in the episode, largely because they all arrive at the station directly from starship duty)
Bashir's first assignment was DS9 - he didn't have starship duty before arrivin' at the station.

He was obviously transported by the same Oberth-class ship that brought Jadzia, but that'd be about it.

Also, Sisko's assignment before DS9 was the Utopia Planitia shipyards, which seems like a bunch of starship construction rigs & a station. Point is, not a starship. He, too, was ferried by one to the station.
Old March 25 2014, 12:21 AM   #26
clint g
Admiral

As mentioned up thread it's probably supposed to be similar to how there is a uniform of the day in the military. Also, just like in the modern military they probably figured it was stupid to have multiple uniforms so they just streamlined it into the one gray uniform. The US Army for example went from having Dress Mess, Dress Blues, Dress Greens (combining both the class A and B variants), Dress Whites, BDUs and DCUs to simply the Dress Mess for super formal occasions, ASUs (modified dress blues) for business and the ACU for field work (though in practice ACUs are worn for everything).
Old March 25 2014, 12:34 AM   #27
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
Although the Real-Life explanation was far more mundane: simply a need to distinguish TNG and DS9 on a visual level, so that the new kid on the block looked distinct and unique from its parent for any audiences that were channel surfing.
I thought it was so that the face of our fearless commander would not be washed out.

Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 03:28 AM   #28
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Probably not enough uniforms in the costume department.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 04:05 AM   #29
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
At the beginning of DS9, it was clearly the destinction between starship and starbase personnel.
We saw a lot of starbase personnel on TNG, always with the standard TNG uniform. Maybe I'm wrong, but until "Generations," I don't recall ever seeing any non-DS9 guest star in the DS9 uniform.

It was clearly a distinction of some kind, you're right. Maybe it was the uniform not for all starbases, but for the Deep Space stations.

While I wasn't crazy about the uniform change to the FC gray tops, it did allow for a really great WTF! moment, when we find out Bashir has been replaced by a Changeling and the real Bashir is still wearing the old uniform.
Old March 25 2014, 05:03 AM   #30
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I was never crazy about all the uniform changes in the Star Trek shows. It got to remind me of comic books in recent years, where every new writer/artist team that comes along feels the need to give, say, Iron Man, new armor every few issues, after literally decades of the same one used.

The worst costume decision to me was Yesterday's Enterprise, with the Enterprise C's crew wearing movie maroon jackets with no turtleneck underneath. It looked like one would dress in the middle of the night when an earthquake strikes: you just grab whatever is handy, throw it on and run outside.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote