Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 28 2014, 06:40 PM   #1
sonak
Vice Admiral

So... What's wrong with "emperor's new cloak?"

This episode, a "Ferengi episode," and the last of the Mirror Universe one, gets a bad rap, if you check out internet reviews and such. I hadn't seen it since it came out, and recently re-watched it. It's actually pretty funny, much better than many Ferengi episodes and better than the previous mirror universe episode, "resurrection." Sure, it may come off as a fluffy waste of time in a season that had to wrap up the Dominion War and the series, but then "Take me out to the Holosuite" and "badda-bing, badda-bang" had the same issue.

This episode had a funny gag with the invisible cloaking device, a funny gag with mirror-Vic Fontaine, and a hot-looking Ezri. I think this episode should be more highly regarded.
Old February 28 2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Re: So... What's wrong with "emperor's new cloak?"

Personally, I found the MU exhausted by this point, and this was a step back from the rehabilitation of the Ferengi as buffoons. The cloaking device gag was funny. Nonetheless, I never find any reason to watch this episode (or let it play); I can't say the same for TMOTTH or B-B,B-B.

ETA: As Rom says, "I'm really beginning to hate this universe." Well put.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 01:05 AM   #3
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I like how the episode is like "Magnificent Ferengi" in presenting Quark and Rom as heroes. I think some fans don't like farce in Star Trek and want everything to be serious all the time.

The actors and the writers seemed to like the episode:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_...ode)#Reception
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 03:05 AM   #4
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

It starts off with a faulty premise - the Mirror Universe had already been shown to have cloak technology in the second DS9 episode that crossed over to it.

Therefore, the entire episode is a waste of an hour.
Old March 1 2014, 06:55 AM   #5
Terra Pryme
Fleet Captain

od0_ital wrote: View Post
It starts off with a faulty premise - the Mirror Universe had already been shown to have cloak technology in the second DS9 episode that crossed over to it.
It's possible that the cloaking tech the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance had wasn't that all sophisticated, since unlike what we saw in "The Enterprise Incident", there was no Klingon-Romulan alliance in the MU 23rd century. The KCA had only begun developing their cloak in recent years, which was effective at first, but when Smiley built his Defiant, he was able to modify its sensors to make the ship much better able to detect cloaked ships. A quick tie-in to the targeting scanners, and the majority of enemy ships could be destroyed with just one shot, forcing the Alliance to scrap their cloaking tech until they could better develop it, or in case of this episode, steal the superior tech from the regular Trek universe. This would work out any continuity issues here.
Terra Pryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 06:58 AM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

It's also possible that it's not the same Mirror Universe.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Finn
Vice Admiral

^Yeah, I think they said something like that in the first MU episode.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 08:44 PM   #8
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Just because the writers forgot a five second visual scene from an episode made four years earlier? Not really.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 08:55 PM   #9
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

If a continuity error makes an entire episode a waste, you must not like a lot of Trek...
Old March 1 2014, 09:06 PM   #10
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

The battle scene at the end is a re-use of Shattered Mirror which is pretty lame.
If the budget didn't stretch to the SFX then they should've re-written it so the battle wasn't needed rather than trying to cram it in when they couldn't afford it.
Old March 1 2014, 09:27 PM   #11
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

For me, the episode both worked and it didn't.

The Ferengi had been killed over and over throughout the Mirror Universe episodes, so now Quark and Rom get to be the ones who crossover this time and make some history in the mirror universe. The poetic justice works on some level, but it always seemed to me that Sisko, Kira or Worf should have been involved more in the last mark the DS9 crew would make on that universe. Sisko because of his previous experiences and the Intendant murdering Jennifer. Kira because of the Intendant and Worf because of the Regent.

Dropping into the story that Jadzia had died was both interesting to add more anger and drive to the mirror Bashir character, but also the closing of a door for future stories in books which was unnecessary. Given how tragic her murder was, would it really have been so bad to have the mirror Jadzia still be alive?

Shattered Mirror raised the bar very high for battle and excitement in the mirror universe, The Emperors New Cloak wasn't even close to meeting that bar.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 10:40 PM   #12
MacLeod
Admiral

The first few MU episodes weren't to bad, but they went downhill with "Resurection"

It had a major plot hole, but that in itself doesn't make a bad episode VOY "Living Witness" had a major plot hole but was one of VOY better episodes.

I'm sure they could have found something else to do with either the Dominion War of if they must visit the MU, The Terran Rebellion.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 12:46 AM   #13
Seven of Five
Commodore

I think a lot of the interesting Mirror Universe characters had died by the time The Emperor's New Cloak rolled around, so the writers were somewhat misguided in doing one last hurrah. Making it into a Ferengi episode was also bad news, as they were stinking up the place by this point in the series too.

The cloaking device already being part of the MU in a different episode is more of a nitpick, but as I dislike the episode so much, it doesn't slide.

I also dislike the casual use of lesbianism/bisexuality in a 'cool, edgy' way, because the MU is soooo crazy like that. For a series that dealt with homosexuality in such a mature way in Rejoined, it was disappointing to see the way it was used here.
Old March 2 2014, 05:14 PM   #14
sonak
Vice Admiral

Seven of Five wrote: View Post
I think a lot of the interesting Mirror Universe characters had died by the time The Emperor's New Cloak rolled around, so the writers were somewhat misguided in doing one last hurrah. Making it into a Ferengi episode was also bad news, as they were stinking up the place by this point in the series too.

The cloaking device already being part of the MU in a different episode is more of a nitpick, but as I dislike the episode so much, it doesn't slide.

I also dislike the casual use of lesbianism/bisexuality in a 'cool, edgy' way, because the MU is soooo crazy like that. For a series that dealt with homosexuality in such a mature way in Rejoined, it was disappointing to see the way it was used here.

I do agree with the point about the portrayal of lesbianism in these episodes. What's especially funny is how dated that now makes it seem, with what was "edgy" in the mid- to late-nineties now just seems silly. It's hard to anticipate that what may seem "oh so outrageous" at one point may just seem juvenile a mere decade or so later.
Old March 2 2014, 07:44 PM   #15
JD5000
Commander

I think that this episode was just meant to make us chuckle. Whether you thought it was funny or not, I think it defies deeper interpretation.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote