RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 350
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 28 2014, 12:15 PM   #1
Infern0
Captain

Patrick Stewart as Mr Freeze?

At one point, Patrick Stewart was in talks to play Mr Freeze in the film "batman and robin".

Perhaps luckily for Patrick the role went to Arnold Schwarzenegger instead, as the film was a disaster.

I think Stewart would have played a very different type of freeze than arnold did, obviously i can't see him doing the one liners, and he'd be a lot more of an intellectual, which is more true to the character. I think he would have been able to really capture the tragic nature of Mr Freeze, who unlike many batman villains does have a heart, and is forced into becoming a villain by truly tragic circumstances.

How do you think the film would have been different with Patrick, whould he have been enough to turn the movie into something decent, or would that have been too much to ask.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Patrick Stewart as Mr Freeze?

The choice to cast Arnold was because of the direction of the film. Stewart was never going to fit into that vision.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I think the BTAS Freeze would've been the one we saw in Barman and Robin had Stewart done it. I heard he turned down the role because of X-Men.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

"OK, so we need to cast Professor X."
"We need a bald actor."
"Patrick Stewart?"
"Perfect, now we need to cast Mr. Freeze."
"We need a bald actor."
"Patrick Stewart?"
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Shik
Commander

Well, they tried Yul Brynner, but reanimating a corpse is SO 1985.
Old February 28 2014, 06:19 PM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

No way would Patrick Stewart have done any of those crap Joel Schumacher Batman films.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 06:37 PM   #7
Shik
Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
No way would Patrick Stewart have done any of those crap Joel Schumacher Batman films.
So...Conspiracy Theory?

I've noticed that people often wonder why wonderful actors take such shit roles at times (example: F. Murray Abraham in Insurrection). My explanation is what I call the "foundation theory". It comes from an episode of Inside The Actor's Studio with Michael Caine, wherein someone asked him why, with all the great work he's done, WHY the hell he ever did Jaws 4? After the laughter died down, he said, "Well, I'm an actor. And an actor has to work. Sometime you get to do the things you want to & sometimes you do the things you have to. Well, at that time, the foundation on my house needed to be redone, so I did that movie."

Now, when I see a great actor in a shit flick, I immediately think, "Foundation on their house must need repair."
Old February 28 2014, 06:54 PM   #8
Redfern
Commodore

And if they do three crappy films in a row, it's a foundation trilogy.

Uh, I'll just let myself out.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 10:27 PM   #9
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

Otto Preminger was definitive in the role

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 11:02 PM   #10
Aragorn
Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
The choice to cast Arnold was because of the direction of the film. Stewart was never going to fit into that vision.
At the time they cast Arnold, he still would've been one of the top five most bankable names at the time. That whole period after True Lies was a big career mess for him. Even though Eraser was a hit, everyone was underwhelmed by it.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Gunmen? Masterminds? Bambi II?

Shik wrote: View Post
I've noticed that people often wonder why wonderful actors take such shit roles at times (example: F. Murray Abraham in Insurrection). My explanation is what I call the "foundation theory". It comes from an episode of Inside The Actor's Studio with Michael Caine, wherein someone asked him why, with all the great work he's done, WHY the hell he ever did Jaws 4? After the laughter died down, he said, "Well, I'm an actor. And an actor has to work. Sometime you get to do the things you want to & sometimes you do the things you have to. Well, at that time, the foundation on my house needed to be redone, so I did that movie."

Now, when I see a great actor in a shit flick, I immediately think, "Foundation on their house must need repair."
"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 11:08 PM   #11
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Judging by some of his career choices, Stewart would have taken the role if it was offered to him and he would have hammed it up big time if asked to do so. Some people lump Batman Forever and Batman & Robin together, but, setting revisionism aside, Batman Forever was a big hit and parts in Batman & Robin were highly sought after.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; February 28 2014 at 11:31 PM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 06:18 AM   #12
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

I've noticed that people often wonder why wonderful actors take such shit roles at times (example: F. Murray Abraham in Insurrection).
What's to wonder? He loves the franchise and wanted to be part of it. It wasn't even necessarily about the money.

And I quote:
If I could do only "Star Trek" movies for the rest of my career, I would. That`s how strongly I feel about this organization. I do not say that lightly.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 06:33 AM   #13
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Redfern wrote: View Post
And if they do three crappy films in a row, it's a foundation trilogy.

Uh, I'll just let myself out.

Sincerely,

Bill
Now THAT is funny!!!

...on your way out, please see Quark at the Dabo Tables...I think we can find work for you...!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 05:23 PM   #14
Shik
Commander

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
I've noticed that people often wonder why wonderful actors take such shit roles at times (example: F. Murray Abraham in Insurrection).
What's to wonder? He loves the franchise and wanted to be part of it. It wasn't even necessarily about the money.

And I quote:
If I could do only "Star Trek" movies for the rest of my career, I would. That`s how strongly I feel about this organization. I do not say that lightly.
See? That's what I mean. He did it because he wanted to. It was still a shit movie, but OK, that was his reason. Knew it wasn't art.
Old March 1 2014, 05:59 PM   #15
suarezguy
Commodore

I also think Stewart could have tried a hammy version but it still would have been mostly annoying, then he wouldn't done X-Men and it'd be hard to find another actor as good for Professor X.