RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 593
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 8 2014, 02:04 AM   #1
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

It took me such a long time to watch nu-Trek

Finally, I have

I was gifted a box set DVD with Star Trek and Into Darkness on them. After deliberately avoiding the reboot for so long I finally gave in and watched the two films.
As a lifelong fan of TOS and characters like Kirk and Spock I had found it difficult to accept such radical reworkings of the franchise, talk of a new timeline was all the encouragement I needed not to watch the films when they came out, and in my opinion sadly I feel vindicated for not falling for the hype surrounding these reboots.
JJ Abrams for me, has destroyed Star Trek, the first film was painful to watch apart from Quinto who got good marks for his take on Spock.
The second film was much better, but the whole look of the film in Abrams Trek doesnt do it for me, its more Battlestar Galactica than Trek and I couldnt relate to it.
The actors and the characters were better portrayed in ID but my initial trepidation regarding nuTrek was valid.
I`m sorry to post in a negative way re these latest films, but I felt I had to give my opinions.
There are other nuances which need further discussion, like the English guy playing a Scotsman supposedly from Aberdeen but giving him a Glasgow accent, the incredibly young Checkov in his position of extreme importance both as a navigator and a Chief Engineer, the affair between Uhura and Spock etc, etc, etc.

Oh well.
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 02:31 AM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: It took me such a long time to watch nu-Trek

I totally disagree that it's "more Battlestar Galactica than Trek" - IMO nuBSG is miserable as hell, whereas nuTrek is fun, light and exciting. Other than that, different strokes for different folks. I love the new movies.
Old March 8 2014, 03:56 AM   #3
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I sympathize with you, Delta Vega (though I wouldn't go so far as to say the Abrams movies "destroyed Trek," I just think they're kind of a cul de sac and not part of the spirit of the franchise -- if movies with that pulp-heavy style and level of writing had been sold as Buck Rogers movies I would've been fine with them), but I daresay:

Delta Vega wrote: View Post
like the English guy playing a Scotsman supposedly from Aberdeen but giving him a Glasgow accent
That my friend is a seriously micro-targeted nitpick. Hats off...

Last edited by BigJake; March 8 2014 at 04:24 AM.
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 04:36 AM   #4
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I totally disagree that it's "more Battlestar Galactica than Trek" - IMO nuBSG is miserable as hell, whereas nuTrek is fun, light and exciting. Other than that, different strokes for different folks. I love the new movies.
Ditto. I love the movies, and feel the characters are right at home in the Trek universe. Still, to each their own.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 04:49 AM   #5
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

JJ Abrams for me, has destroyed Star Trek
Sooooooo, that's a thumbs down then?

It's refreshing to see someone finally just tear into the Abrams films without holding back after five years of everyone being so reserved and shy about speaking out about them.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 05:23 AM   #6
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

The second film was much better, but the whole look of the film in Abrams Trek doesnt do it for me, its more Battlestar Galactica than Trek and I couldnt relate to it.
I'm not... I don't even...

The Star Wars comparison I can see a little bit, but I'm not sure how much farther apart Abrams Trek and BSG could get.

Unless you're talking about original BSG. Then maybe. Kinda. Sorta.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 05:36 AM   #7
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

BigJake wrote: View Post

like the English guy playing a Scotsman supposedly from Aberdeen but giving him a Glasgow accent
That my friend is a seriously micro-targeted nitpick. Hats off...
Unless "old Aberdeen pub-crawler" was intended to mean that he'd literally been born and raised in an Aberdeen pub, there's not much evidence one way or another pointing to where Scotty is from, though I think Scotland can probably be called a given. If we were to go by an exchange seen in a different episode, however, he's almost as likely have been born in space as Glasgow or Aberdeen (not to mention Linlithgow and a few other spots.)
"This getting used to space travel, that takes some doing.
- And not everybody takes to it. - Did you?"
"Oh, well, me, that's different.
I was practically born to it."
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 08:26 AM   #8
TheSubCommander
Captain

Finally, I have

I was gifted a box set DVD with Star Trek and Into Darkness on them. After deliberately avoiding the reboot for so long I finally gave in and watched the two films.
As a lifelong fan of TOS and characters like Kirk and Spock I had found it difficult to accept such radical reworkings of the franchise, talk of a new timeline was all the encouragement I needed not to watch the films when they came out, and in my opinion sadly I feel vindicated for not falling for the hype surrounding these reboots.
JJ Abrams for me, has destroyed Star Trek, the first film was painful to watch apart from Quinto who got good marks for his take on Spock.
The actors and the characters were better portrayed in ID but my initial trepidation regarding nuTrek was valid.
I`m sorry to post in a negative way re these latest films, but I felt I had to give my opinions.
There are other nuances which need further discussion, like the English guy playing a Scotsman supposedly from Aberdeen but giving him a Glasgow accent, the incredibly young Checkov in his position of extreme importance both as a navigator and a Chief Engineer, the affair between Uhura and Spock etc, etc, etc.

Oh well.
Don't feel bad at all. As far as I am concerned, NuTrek is a completely different franchise. I was totally willing to give it a try. In fact, first time through, I loved the first movie. It just does not hold up well for me, on repeat viewings, and gets a little more unwatchable, each additional time through. But at least I see it as a valiant attempt to take Trek into a new, fresh direction, and for the most part (even though they dumb the franchise down to do it), Abrams succeeded.

The unforgivable blasphemy is Into Darkness, as far as I am concerned. It couldn't have been more derivative of previous incarnations of Trek, or failed any worse to capture my interest. Other than FX, nothing redeems this film for me. I could barely sit through the first viewing all the way, and found myself fast forwarding through much of the movie, on the second viewing at home.

My fear is that Abrams will rape Star Wars even worse than he did Star Trek.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 10:53 AM   #9
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Finally, I have

Oh well.
Although I shouldn't buy into this, I will.

I'm wondering which part of France Picard got his accent from? Or is TNG from an AU future where England annexed France.

Wesley crusher was an exteremely young navigator/helmsman, even younger than Chekov.

Geordi out of nowhere became an 'expert' engineer from one episode to the next.

Wasn't there a 'love' affair between Troi and Riker and Beverley and Picard, T'Pol and Trip?
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 11:08 AM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

If there's one truism about Star Trek, it's that not everyone likes all of it (many people may love one "this" but hate "that"). While there are definitely fans who do love every version of Trek, I think there are many more who don't--and that's really to be expected for any long-running franchise that has spinoffs, reboots, etc., IMO.

Personally, though, I've always felt that Star Trek movies ought to be different from Star Trek TV shows. The movies should be big-scale action-adventure flicks that do things that wouldn't or can't be done on TV. As such, I have a lot of fun with the current movies as Star Trek on steroids.
Old March 8 2014, 11:24 AM   #11
MacLeod
Admiral

Finally, I have

Oh well.
As opposed to TOS where we had :-

The Canadian playing the American Kirk
The Canadian playing the Brit(Scottish) Scotty
The American playing the Russian Chekov

And from TNG

The Brit playing the French Picard

But to address the point we don't know were in Scotland Scotty is from a line such as 'aberdeen ubcrawler' can mean anything. For example he could have been born and raised in Glasgow but spend a number of years in Aberdeen when he was old enough to drink. Born in Aberdeen but his parents moved to Glasgow when he was very young. An accent doesn't tell someone where you where born just where you were raised.

But back to the films, Karl Urban was very good at portraying McCoy.

But it's fine that you don't like the new films, not everyone has the same tastes. There are a few things I'm not overly keen on such as the brewery look of the Engine Room, but that's just me there'll be others that like that look.

In the end to each their own.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 11:35 AM   #12
2takesfrakes
Commodore

What I never understood was, when they knew that Patrick Stewart got the job and that he wasn't going to be using a French accent, why they didn't just make Picard a Brit? It was so stupid having him be a Frenchman, especially considering he almost never spoke the language in the entire series and that his passions and interests turned out being, primarily, those of a stereotypical British man, anyway. I mean, couldn't he have just been raised in England by a French father and English mother? They made France seem so corny ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 12:42 PM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
What I never understood was, when they knew that Patrick Stewart got the job and that he wasn't going to be using a French accent, why they didn't just make Picard a Brit? It was so stupid having him be a Frenchman, especially considering he almost never spoke the language in the entire series and that his passions and interests turned out being, primarily, those of a stereotypical British man, anyway.
The original idea--according to the initial casting call--was that although Picard was born in France, he would actually speak with a "mid-Atlantic" accent and would only occasionally revert back into French when extremely frustrated or upset.

That did hold up during the early episodes of TNG, but as the series progressed, writers--either deliberately or subconsciously--changed the role to suit Patrick Stewart. It was too late to rename the character and change his nationality then.
I mean, couldn't he have just been raised in England by a French father and English mother?
In an age where global and even interplanetary travel is as commonplace as driving down to the local store, it's not surprising that some people may lose their original accent and pick up another one. That happens in real life today.
They made France seem so corny...
How so?
Old March 8 2014, 01:17 PM   #14
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Finally, I have

Oh well.
Although I shouldn't buy into this, I will.

I'm wondering which part of France Picard got his accent from? Or is TNG from an AU future where England annexed France.

Wesley crusher was an exteremely young navigator/helmsman, even younger than Chekov.

Geordi out of nowhere became an 'expert' engineer from one episode to the next.

Wasn't there a 'love' affair between Troi and Riker and Beverley and Picard, T'Pol and Trip?
With all due respect, I was never a fan of TNG and I am even less interested in Picards accent, Crusher, La Forge or Troi.

There was never anything that nodded to a possible affair between Spock and Uhura in TOS so I feel its unnecessary in nuTrek.
T`Pol and Trip was cool for me.
Old March 8 2014, 01:21 PM   #15
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Finally, I have

Oh well.
As opposed to TOS where we had :-

The Canadian playing the American Kirk
The Canadian playing the Brit(Scottish) Scotty
The American playing the Russian Chekov

And from TNG

The Brit playing the French Picard

But to address the point we don't know were in Scotland Scotty is from a line such as 'aberdeen ubcrawler' can mean anything. For example he could have been born and raised in Glasgow but spend a number of years in Aberdeen when he was old enough to drink. Born in Aberdeen but his parents moved to Glasgow when he was very young. An accent doesn't tell someone where you where born just where you were raised.

But back to the films, Karl Urban was very good at portraying McCoy.

But it's fine that you don't like the new films, not everyone has the same tastes. There are a few things I'm not overly keen on such as the brewery look of the Engine Room, but that's just me there'll be others that like that look.

In the end to each their own.
I am a Glaswegian, for me it was always a laugh to hear the Canadian trying to play the Scotsman and sometimes sounding midway between Aberdeen / Linlithgow / Ireland or wherever, it was part of the charm of James Doohan.
But Simon Pegg bases his accent on an old Scottish relative from Glasgow, badly, and quite frankly its laughable.
I do realise I am nitpicking but hey ho.