New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 28 2014, 01:38 PM   #1
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

The Lights of Zetar

What a masterpiece. Scotty in love? This is one of my favs of season 3 and of the entire Trek series. From this episode forward all season 3 episodes are good with the exception of the last one which was terrible. I have seen season 3 in full before but recently have gone from the first season to the last in order and once I finish season 3 will go back and re-watch many episodes I saw only once from the first two seasons.

This episode is freaky in a way and kinda reminds me of a season 1 episode where Kirk's good friend turns into an alien or something after he got zapped by something in space. I sure wish Scotty's girl would have been in more episodes.
evangelist6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: The Lights of Zetar

evangelist6589 wrote: View Post

This episode is freaky in a way and kinda reminds me of a season 1 episode where Kirk's good friend turns into an alien or something after he got zapped by something in space.
A rather novel description of Where No Man has Gone Before, the second pilot.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Grant
Fleet Captain

Masterpiece.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 06:26 PM   #4
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Not great, but I'd take it over METAMORPHOSIS, THE EMPATH or REQUIEM FOR METHUSEZZZZZZZZZ any century. Anybody think it might've been better if the main character'd been Uhura instead of Mira Romaine? She'd've finally had an episode for herself, whether Scotty was involved with her or not. Uhura and Scotty waited until the worst possible moment to actually consder a relationship.

Also, where the hell does Kirk get off commenting on Scotty's loneliness in the official Captain's log, where all of us can fricking hear it? Scotty saved him in DOOMSDAY MACHINE for this? Another outrage I suspect the first or second seasons would ever had committed.
Old March 28 2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Ah, Scotty in love!

I go back and forth between who's the absolute worst in Trek at playing love scenes: Doohan, who becomes utterly goofy, or Frakes, who just comes across as smarmy.
Old March 28 2014, 09:45 PM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral

It's not one of my favorites, because Scotty seems out of character to me.

foxhot wrote: View Post
REQUIEM FOR METHUSEZZZZZZZZZ
Requiem for Methsnoozala.
Old March 28 2014, 09:45 PM   #7
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Not great, but I'd take it over METAMORPHOSIS, THE EMPATH or REQUIEM FOR METHUSEZZZZZZZZZ any century.
You prefer "Lights of Zetar" to "Metamorphosis"?

Well, that's what makes horse races, as they say.

Also, where the hell does Kirk get off commenting on Scotty's loneliness in the official Captain's log, where all of us can fricking hear it?
By the third season, the Captain's Log could just as well have been called the "Captain's Voice-Over Exposition." In at least one episode -- "All Our Yesterdays" -- Kirk makes a "log" entry while trapped in a planet's past without a tricorder.
Old March 28 2014, 11:03 PM   #8
Timo
Admiral

The log was originally openly portrayed as ex post facto narration (the visual recordings of a starship do deserve some explanatory voice-overs). Just check out "The Enemy Within", where Kirk tells what is going on and then adds with perfect hindsight that "unknown to us", evil things are also afoot...

The logs are also malleable, and Kirk along with Spock and the Records Officer has the authority/means to tamper with even their visual content, as indicated in "Court Martial". I'm pretty sure Kirk spends most of the weeks between the adventures re-dictating his old logs for greater clarity and dramatic impact!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 11:16 PM   #9
Melakon
Vice Admiral

We can safely assume that the "historical records" we're viewing recounting the adventures of NCC-1701 have been thoroughly declassified for public viewing.
Old March 29 2014, 03:03 AM   #10
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

It's a masterpiece at putting the characters two acts behind the audience in figuring thing out, as well as in curing insomnia.

This episode would be my #1 example of a half-hour premise that was P-A-D-D-E-D into a one hour time slot.
Old March 29 2014, 03:25 AM   #11
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

It was the elusive episode I finally got to see, after the longest wait, but with embarrassing results:
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com.au...n-trekbbs.html
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 02:42 AM   #12
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
It was the elusive episode I finally got to see, after the longest wait, but with embarrassing results:
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com.au...n-trekbbs.html

'Lights of Zetar' - so so episode to me.
Nothing particularly great about it, nothing particularly bad.

Might have been better if they played the Scotty/Mira romance more seriously. You get the impression it may be a one-sided crush by Scotty again. I would have felt more for Mira if it had seemed like a more mature relationship.
I also felt they should have done more to help the Zetarans. They only really wanted to survive.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 02:51 AM   #13
Melakon
Vice Admiral

It's sort of hard for me to feel any sympathy for the Zetarans after they say "You will all die!"
Old March 30 2014, 05:48 AM   #14
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I love this episode, but mostly for superficial, stylistic reasons.

- Great re-use of WMN's powerful music score. As so often happened on Lost in Space, tracking in music from early in the series elevated a show's enjoyability far beyond its own script and action scenes.

- For some reason, I love the color photography in "Zetar." The bridge and the uniforms all seem more vivid and striking in this show. Jan Shutan's blue dress looks a lot better than the one they gave Marianna Hill in "Dagger of the Mind," and I'm not sure it's just the better fabric. Maybe "Zetar" was shot on a better-than-average batch of color film, I don't know. You sometimes hear the knock on Al Francis, that he wasn't as artistic as Jerry Finnerman, but I think he did just fine.

- Jan Shutan's beauty and eerie performance. To me she's total eye candy.

She said in an interview that she was embarrassed to wear the uniform because of her chubby thighs, but really, her legs in this episode are sensational. I have no complaints.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 06:11 AM   #15
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Jan Shutan's beauty and eerie performance. To me she's total eye candy.
"Eye" candy...interesting choice of words: I agree she is very attractive, but those eyes of hers are sort of creepy for some weird reason. Interesting, though, since her eyes were used so prominently in the episode with all the zoom-ins.

The Memory Alpha scenes are creepy, as well. And that poor woman. her last dying words not words of her own at all, but some alien language...and dying with her face in that twisted grimace...I'm practically getting chills thinking about it! Great scene, even if a tad disturbing!

Maybe Scotty was being a bit school-boyish in this one, but it was worth it to see McCoy rolling his eyes as Scotty stuck up for Mira in sickbay. And Kirk's line about "Is Dr. McCoy there, or will I find him in engineering?" was funny, too!

But overall, a pretty good alien possession-type story. I even remember back in the 80's when the episode video tapes became available, this was one of the first dozen or so I ordered.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote