Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 26 2014, 05:21 PM   #46
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Post your ride

lurok wrote: View Post

+ our trams

When I was a kid in Seattle we had electric buses that ran on cables like that, though they were definitely buses, not trams, and could go off the cables as well. I adored those buses as a child -- I'm not sure if they still have them though, it's been a long time since I lived there.

Ah, a quick google shows me they are called trolly buses and I think they're terrific.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 05:31 PM   #47
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

When I visited Budapest, I was amazed by all the different forms of public transit available. The underground Metro trains run as three major arteries through the city, then you have above-ground trams which run the lengths of major thoroughfares. Then trolley buses to handle most of the mid-traffic streets, and finally traditional buses to cover popular routes not necessarily handled by anything else. You could really get anywhere in that city in a reasonable amount of time just by leveraging the public transit system. (They also make these neat tourist cards which give you access to the entire public transit system for a single flat fee for a few days.)

Uh, I would mention that this was before everything in Hungary went to shit so I wouldn't necessarily recommend going there now.

Anyway, this is what my real car looked like a couple weeks ago:

Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 05:38 PM   #48
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I have a Pontiac G6, the Long Island Rail Road, and the NYC subway system.
Old February 26 2014, 05:39 PM   #49
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
When I visited Budapest, I was amazed by all the different forms of public transit available. The underground Metro trains run as three major arteries through the city, then you have above-ground trams which run the lengths of major thoroughfares. Then trolley buses to handle most of the mid-traffic streets, and finally traditional buses to cover popular routes not necessarily handled by anything else. You could really get anywhere in that city in a reasonable amount of time just by leveraging the public transit system. (They also make these neat tourist cards which give you access to the entire public transit system for a single flat fee for a few days.)
When I lived in Cairo I made an effort to use as many modes of transport as possible. I ended up traveling by small plane, bus, train, taxi, two kinds of boat, horse-drawn carriage, camel, and my favorite of all: hitching a ride down the highway on a bale of alfalfa (does alfalfa come in bales?) in an ass-drawn cart.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 06:43 PM   #50
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
. . . hitching a ride down the highway on a bale of alfalfa (does alfalfa come in bales?) in an ass-drawn cart.
I assume you mean a donkey.
Old February 27 2014, 06:24 AM   #51
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

scotpens wrote: View Post
. . . hitching a ride down the highway on a bale of alfalfa (does alfalfa come in bales?) in an ass-drawn cart.
I assume you mean a donkey.
Some people have superbly powerful gluteal muscles.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 08:54 AM   #52
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
(Though, in all seriousness, I'd kill for a high speed train system in this country.)
Continent you mean.

This makes me so jealous. Being a huge rail and public transit nerd while living in America is... frustrating.

I have this long-term project I've been working on to create a fictional country with badass transit systems (local and national); the large-scale rail networks in western Europe (France and Germany in particular) have provided a LOT of inspiration.

One thing I hope I'm able to do one of these days is visit Europe, as I have never been there. If I ever make it (which is dependant on having the money to do so, bleh), I will probably spend a good 50% or more of my time riding around on trains!

But hey, I'm on your side...America is pathetically behind Europe on public transport. We need more trains!
Tell me about it!

We do have a high-speed rail project here in California, but... its current status would best be described as "on life-support." And to quote a certain TV show that I'd wager a few people here would be familiar with: life support is failing.

The whole thing is so bogged down in politics, infighting, territorial disputes, NIMBY-ism, an out of control budget, and other problems, that I wonder if it'll ever be built. And even if it actually happens, more problems await - the station being built as the intended northern terminus in San Francisco is badly designed, the HSR commission is set on implementing airport-style security theater and passenger routing at all of its stations, the situation with Caltrain along the peninsula between SF and San Jose is still completely up in the air...

It's a gigantic mess.

To say nothing of the fact that really, we have no business jumping straight to high-speed rail - a far better idea would be to begin to address the utterly terrible nature of our regular passenger rail. A protracted, comprehensive overhaul and expansion of those systems over a long period of time could be much more useful. Implementing high-speed rail would be a logical end to that process, not a beginning. But such a process isn't flashy or exciting enough to get people behind it.

lurok wrote: View Post

+ our trams

Nice! Love that sleek look that a lot of modern trams have. That's in London, right?

When I was a kid in Seattle we had electric buses that ran on cables like that, though they were definitely buses, not trams, and could go off the cables as well. I adored those buses as a child -- I'm not sure if they still have them though, it's been a long time since I lived there.

Ah, a quick google shows me they are called trolly buses and I think they're terrific.
These? They do still use em, these particular buses (made by Italian company Breda) were originally dual-mode - capable of running off of either trolley wire-fed electricity or an onboard diesel engine, and have since been converted to electric-only. Seattle also has standard trolleybuses, as well, in the form of old Gillig Phantoms, and they are slated to get some shiny new trolleys from New Flyer sometime this year. Trolleys are not run in the Downtown Transit Tunnel anymore since the light rail began running, so they are used on surface street electrified lines instead. The Bredas always had a lot of reliability issues, but I agree that trolley buses in general are a great thing. We have tons of em in San Francisco, partly for the same reason that there are so many in Seattle: hills. No other transit vehicle can compete with an electric trolleybus when it comes to zipping up a hill with ease.

Oh, and since I don't own a car, this is my ride:

Recently acquired, locally-built Gillig commuter bus for AC Transit's Transbay Express service. They're quite comfortable.
Old February 27 2014, 01:45 PM   #53
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

2013 2nd-generation Kia Picanto 5-door hatchback in Titanium Silver Metallic. Sorry for the weird filter.

Still sorely lacking slick light-alloy wheels. Something to shoot for when my birthday rolls around

Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who dont know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.
Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 01:48 PM   #54
Pingfah
Admiral

(Though, in all seriousness, I'd kill for a high speed train system in this country.)
Continent you mean.

I would take anything that map has to say about the UK with a pinch of salt...
Old February 27 2014, 03:58 PM   #55
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
2013 2nd-generation Kia Picanto 5-door hatchback in Titanium Silver Metallic. Sorry for the weird filter.

Still sorely lacking slick light-alloy wheels. Something to shoot for when my birthday rolls around

Were you running toward the car when you took that picture, or are you trapped in a manga?
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 04:26 PM   #56
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Trolley buses are everywhere in my city. They are nice, but the aerial wiring is a bitch when you want to take a picture of a buikding or monument.

Public transport here is unfortunately inadequate. We have buses (regular and trolley), and some suburban train, but the main problem is that we sorely need a subway system, but there is no political will to realize it. There is a plan to improve the interconnectedness of bus and train lines, but it went down the toilet because of corruption and scandals.
Old February 27 2014, 04:31 PM   #57
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

My city's only form of mass transit is a woefully inadequate bus service, so this is my only ride.
Old February 27 2014, 05:20 PM   #58
RESPCT
SPCTRE

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Were you running toward the car when you took that picture, or are you trapped in a manga?
The car is about to go Super-Saiyan I think.

CAR-ME-HA-ME-HA, get it? Get it? It's funny because it's a car.
Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who dont know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.
Old February 27 2014, 09:48 PM   #59
maclaus
Another bloomin' Christmas

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to maclaus

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Continent you mean.

I would take anything that map has to say about the UK with a pinch of salt...
Especially as it doesn't even show the continuation of the old Great Western main line southwest from Bristol to Somerset, Devon and Cornwall. Of course that line was a wee bit damaged at Dawlish during the recent storms.

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
maclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 07:27 AM   #60
RESPCT
SPCTRE

J. Allen wrote: View Post
1993 Saturn SL2:

That's a really cool ride, J.