RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,663
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 449
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old May 19 2014, 03:17 PM   #76
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Re: So I have FINALLY started watching Enterprise... love it so far!!

My girl had such a bad day
Old May 19 2014, 10:16 PM   #77
BMariner
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm just into S2 for the first time. So far not impressed. I don't know whether it's the writing, the acting, or both that suck. I *really* wanted to like this series.

My first couple episodes were In a Mirror, Darkly Parts 1 & 2. I chose these eps because of the TOS throwback, but also because I believe any good show, regardless of where one jumps into it, should captivate the new viewer and make him want to start from the beginning. I loved the TOS-era sets, but I remember thinking the writing and acting were horrible. Even never having seen the Prime "good versions of these characters, I never bought their portrayal of their bad selves. I watched those online a few years ago and swore the series off. I'm only watching it now because the wife and I have gone thru every other episode of every other series. This is kinda the leftovers, and so far I gotta say I've enjoyed some fan-made Trek films better than this series.

I think the worst episode so far was the one where Reed and Tucker get stuck on the shuttle leaking air. I've never seen less-convincing acting. I never bought that they were so annoyed at each other, nor did I buy it when they bonded. I love the prequel series concept. There's a lot there to mine. But I can barely stomach this.

Here's to hoping it gets better as time goes on...
BMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 09:41 AM   #78
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Zombie Vulcans are awesome. Loved "Impulse".

That anomaly-powered asteroid field was pretty cool, too.
Old May 20 2014, 12:39 PM   #79
Trek Survivor
Captain

BMariner wrote: View Post
I'm just into S2 for the first time. So far not impressed. I don't know whether it's the writing, the acting, or both that suck. I *really* wanted to like this series.
Wow, we're in more or less the same position but couldn't disagree more on the quality of the series!

I do think early season 2 took a bit of a dip in quality compared to season 1 but overall I find the acting, writing and quality of the series very high.

Anyway, another episode last night: "Exile"....

A pretty transparent "Beauty and the Beast"-type tale. I like Hoshi, but she doesn't seem to get a decent storyline - even the episodes that focus on her aren't that great... including this one.

Somebody took the "Beauty and the Beast" comparison too far... the house Tarquin (Tarquin!?!) lives in is very gothic, very ornate, very...earth-like. Now, I know Trek has often had dubious "alien" planets and people that are basically Earth and human-like, but Enterprise kind of deviated from this and set higher expectations... to see such sloppy set design choices is a bit of a disappointment.

Also, it stretched credibility when Hoshi - alone and isolated on a planet with a dodgy alien that's already shown an unhealthy interest in her - decides to bring along her skimpiest nightie for the evening, AND WANDER AROUND THE HOUSE (and outside!) IN IT!!!

Now don't get me wrong, Hoshi in a nightie scores points with me, but this was just silly.

The plot itself was okay as far as it went, but I never really felt much threat from the alien, or sympathy, or...anything really. So the whole episode fell pretty flat.

Still, it ends with a bit of excitement - poor old Tarquin has identified a Xindi colony. At last! Here's hoping the next episode is good.

So far, though (and contrary, it seems, to most of fandom's opinion!) season 3 has been a bit of a downgrade in enjoyment from season 1-2.
Old May 20 2014, 12:54 PM   #80
Yanks
Fleet Captain

My first couple episodes were In a Mirror, Darkly Parts 1 & 2. I chose these eps because of the TOS throwback, but also because I believe any good show, regardless of where one jumps into it, should captivate the new viewer and make him want to start from the beginning. I loved the TOS-era sets, but I remember thinking the writing and acting were horrible. Even never having seen the Prime "good versions of these characters, I never bought their portrayal of their bad selves. I watched those online a few years ago and swore the series off. I'm only watching it now because the wife and I have gone thru every other episode of every other series. This is kinda the leftovers, and so far I gotta say I've enjoyed some fan-made Trek films better than this series.

I think the worst episode so far was the one where Reed and Tucker get stuck on the shuttle leaking air. I've never seen less-convincing acting. I never bought that they were so annoyed at each other, nor did I buy it when they bonded. I love the prequel series concept. There's a lot there to mine. But I can barely stomach this.

Here's to hoping it gets better as time goes on...
Wow, I don't know what to tell you if you didn't like Shuttlepod One.

It's just like all the other series. You have to embrace the characters.
Old May 20 2014, 12:57 PM   #81
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post

Also, it stretched credibility when Hoshi - alone and isolated on a planet with a dodgy alien that's already shown an unhealthy interest in her - decides to bring along her skimpiest nightie for the evening, AND WANDER AROUND THE HOUSE (and outside!) IN IT!!!
Dude. This is the future. Women aren't held back by your prurient ideas on nightwear. Obviously it was very balmy.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 01:18 PM   #82
Gov Kodos
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Trek Survivor wrote: View Post

Dude. This is the future. Women aren't held back by your prurient ideas on nightwear. Obviously it was very balmy.
How else would you dress Hoshi? Assuming as a supervillain you let your antagonist wear clothes? I'll stop now.
Conner Trineer
Barbecue fish
T'Pol in Gel
Frothy Dress
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 02:14 PM   #83
BMariner
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yanks wrote: View Post

Do I? Fine, but they should make me want to embrace them. I felt like the actors are just reading scripts. I don't diss their effort. It seemed like they were really trying. I just don't think they're particularly good actors.

I came to Enterprise without bias and I still have none. If it gets better, I'll readily praise it. I actually love the theme song and think it's entirely appropriate, and I absolutely love the fact that the writers and producers have virtually eliminated the transporter crutch.
Old May 20 2014, 02:20 PM   #84
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post

Do I? Fine, but they should make me want to embrace them. I felt like the actors are just reading scripts. I don't diss their effort. It seemed like they were really trying. I just don't think they're particularly good actors.

I came to Enterprise without bias and I still have none. If it gets better, I'll readily praise it. I actually love the theme song and think it's entirely appropriate, and I absolutely love the fact that the writers and producers have virtually eliminated the transporter crutch.
All trek series had their stiff/not-so-good acting early on.

Agree on the transporter thing, although my take would have been not to have one installed at all until about season 3.

Stick with it, as all trek series it really starts to take of (for most) with season 3 and hits gold in season 4.
Old May 22 2014, 12:30 PM   #85
Trek Survivor
Captain

"The Shipment": A good solid action piece. I liked the Xindi scientist, and some of his interactions with Archer. I already feel the Xindi storyline feels a bit repetitive (I did with the Dominion in DS9 as well) but hopefully the season will still have plenty of twists and turns.

"Twilight": This had shades of earlier Trek stories (e.g. "The Visitor" without the emotional punch) but on its own merit, this was an entertaining story. The decimation of humanity was pretty dramatic and the story zipped along at a fair pace. One of the better season 3 stories to date.
Old May 22 2014, 04:00 PM   #86
feek61
Captain

"Twilight" was one of my favorite episodes of the series.
Old May 22 2014, 04:37 PM   #87
MacLeod
Admiral

"Shuttlepod One" is often considered one of the better episodes of S1-2.

But then again it might depend on the type of stories you prefer. Sure I think "Shuttlepod One" could be improved, i.e Get rid of the scenes set on Enterprise during the episode and only have a small scene set in sickbay at the end, that's reworked due to not having Reed's Dream.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 05:35 PM   #88
Yanks
Fleet Captain

feek61 wrote: View Post
"Twilight" was one of my favorite episodes of the series.
Mine as well.
Old May 22 2014, 07:26 PM   #89
BMariner
Lieutenant Junior Grade

MacLeod wrote: View Post

But then again it might depend on the type of stories you prefer. Sure I think "Shuttlepod One" could be improved, i.e Get rid of the scenes set on Enterprise during the episode and only have a small scene set in sickbay at the end, that's reworked due to not having Reed's Dream.
I didn't mind the Enterprise scenes in Shuttlepod One. My beef was mostly with the poorly written dialog and the sub-par acting of Trinnear. Watch the TOS ep Galileo Seven and then re-watch Shuttlepod One. The dialog in Galileo is cheesy, but appropriate for its era. There is a real sense of dread and some serious character development in Spock. I saw none of that in Shuttlepod One-- or in Enterprise at all to this point (I just started S2).
Old May 22 2014, 10:09 PM   #90
Yanks
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post

I didn't mind the Enterprise scenes in Shuttlepod One. My beef was mostly with the poorly written dialog and the sub-par acting of Trinnear. Watch the TOS ep Galileo Seven and then re-watch Shuttlepod One. The dialog in Galileo is cheesy, but appropriate for its era. There is a real sense of dread and some serious character development in Spock. I saw none of that in Shuttlepod One-- or in Enterprise at all to this point (I just started S2).
I thought Dominic's acting was the lesser of the two.

Galileo was nothing more than a "pick on Spock" because he's Vulcan episode. Character development in Spock?