Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old April 9 2014, 03:31 AM   #31
BruntFCA
Commander

Re: So I have FINALLY started watching Enterprise... love it so far!!

I'm glad you're enjoying the show, I can't wait to hear what you think about seasons 3 and 4 as most people (myself included) consider them to be the best.
Old April 16 2014, 01:28 PM   #32
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

I was never interested in Enterprise when it first came out. I didn't see how it could work within the timeline/canon, but I started watching it recently on Netflix.

I just started Season 4 last night. I have to say I'm very impressed and I rank it up there with DS9 as my new favorites of the series. I think Capt Archer's changes in season 3 were totally believable as a combat veteran and how he had to do things he didn't expect when he first left Earth as an explorer.

I'm sad that Season 4 is the last season, but I've enjoyed the ride so far.
Old April 22 2014, 03:21 PM   #33
Trek Survivor
Captain

“Vanishing Point”: Reminds me in execution of “The Next Phase” from TNG a little bit, although of course none of those similar events were ‘real’. Interesting and well filmed – and I like Hoshi, a good character.

“Precious Cargo”: Complete and utter daft fun. It’s another example of Enterprise kind of ignoring any pretensions that Trek is this serious, noble, thought-provoking venture and just presenting a comic book adventure for one of the characters. The actress playing the princess didn’t really gel with me but Trip is always good value.

“The Catwalk”: Didn’t really like this one, but can’t explain why... just felt a little drawn out over the 45 minutes.

“Dawn”: DS9 and Voyager had the same problems, but again, this felt too similar to a TNG episode (“The Enemy”, with Geordi and a Romulan stranded and working together, and even “Darmok”) to be really enjoyable in its own right.

“Stigma”: I really liked this one, mainly due to the relationship between T’Pol and Archer. Yes, the allegory was pretty blunt and obvious (Trek has never really done subtle in this regard) but it was a good one, and again offered a fascinating glimpse into the Vulcans. Knowing how mind melds are considered A-OK in the “future” (TOS onwards) it’s interesting to see the comparison that what was once “taboo” becomes commonplace.

“Cease Fire”: Another great action episode. Again, the arc of the Vulcans comes on a little further here, and I am starting to like Shran. It was difficult to get passed “oh, Jeffrey Combs AGAIN” but he’s done wonders with this role. As always, Archer proves that he’s ‘the man’ and a great captain.

“Future Tense”: An intriguing mystery, but I didn’t like the lack of resolution. I did like the Tholians popping up. What I find curious is that if somebody had mentioned a “temporal cold war” as a concept (a concept I love, incidentally) before Enterprise started, I – and probably many others – would’ve seen it as a way of including appearances/references to 24th century Trek. But the temporal cold war didn’t originate in the 24th century, but the 31st... it almost seems like a missed opportunity. But I suppose we would’ve all groaned at the “lack of ideas” if it had been a 24th century villain causing hassle in the past. Whatever the case, though I like the idea, I’ll be happy when the whole “temporal cold war” is won/resolved. I find myself not particularly engaged with the episodes themselves, though I like the idea.

Season 2 (thus far) has been a bit of a dip in quality for me compared to Season 1, though even when the plots are disappointing, the characterisation/acting are spot on.
Old April 22 2014, 05:16 PM   #34
feek61
Captain

I love Jeffrey Combs as Shran. He becomes more involved in the up-coming seasons.
Old April 23 2014, 09:26 PM   #35
Mage
Commodore

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
Season 2 (thus far) has been a bit of a dip in quality for me compared to Season 1, though even when the plots are disappointing, the characterisation/acting are spot on.
I'm watching Enterprise with my girlfriend right now, and we JUST started season 2. I'm a but unnerved, since I find season 2 the weakest, and I'm hoping she'll stick with me during it. Since I know she'll love seasons 3 and 4.
Old April 24 2014, 02:35 PM   #36
RPOW0614
Lieutenant Junior Grade

ENT is my favorite Trek. Glad you are enjoying it. If you like it so far you are really going to like season 4. Great stories that shine a light on some of Treks glossed over history. You're going to love "Thru a Mirror Darkly 1 & 2".
RPOW0614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 04:27 AM   #37
HopefulRomantic
Phloxist Moderator

I am really enjoying your recaps and your enthusiasm, Trek Survivor. Always happy to have a new fan join the party.

“Precious Cargo”: Complete and utter daft fun. It’s another example of Enterprise kind of ignoring any pretensions that Trek is this serious, noble, thought-provoking venture and just presenting a comic book adventure for one of the characters. The actress playing the princess didn’t really gel with me but Trip is always good value.
A refreshing new viewpoint on this episode! I think this is what the makers of the show might have intended - a screwball comedy in homage to films like "It Happened One Night" and "Bringing Up Baby."

This has been my experience with the show - there is something about every episode that I like, even if the story elements don't quite come together. The little character moments were wonderful to watch.

I hope you continue to enjoy the show. Keep us posted
Old April 28 2014, 01:20 PM   #38
Trek Survivor
Captain

HopefulRomantic wrote: View Post
I am really enjoying your recaps and your enthusiasm, Trek Survivor. Always happy to have a new fan join the party.
Thank you, my friend. The biggest delight for me is that my wife is equally enjoying it. She liked TNG and DS9 when we watched them together, but she couldn't last one season of Voyager. Really didn't like it (I don't either, but I tried not to influence her decision - I was up for watching the whole series, as I only watched seasons 1-2 and a bit of 3 back in the day!).

Anyway, two more episodes down at the weekend:

"Canamar": This was a great episode, one of my faves from season 2. Plenty of action, and an interesting story. I like that Archer really rolls up his sleeves when needed.

"The Crossing": I was ready to dislike this episode when I ready the EPG summary. Sigh. Alien possession (again, for Trek). But... dammit, Enterprise, you still managed to deliver an entertaining episode out of a very tired sci-fi premise! I liked the way the aliens kept "popping" in and out of different hosts, and T'Pol was well used. Hoshi was very well played in an eerie sense once she was possessed.

On a more general note, I can see where the criticism of Enterprise being about "the big three" (with the other characters given short shrift) comes from, but... I don't really feel it's necessarily a bad thing. I suppose after TNG and DS9, fans (and cast?) probably assumed the ensemble would be managed in a similar way, but I like there being clear "stars" and "co-stars" with this show. Seems to work, at least for me. I also happen to really like Archer, Trip and T'Pol which helps

And let's face it, even in those other shows, there were always stars and "co-stars".

A-hem. A little off tangent. Next up - a Klingon episode, which the wife & I always enjoy! With Archer on trial, no less...sounds good!
Old April 30 2014, 01:36 PM   #39
Trek Survivor
Captain

Judgment: LOVED this episode. J.G. Hertzler as Kolos the defense lawyer really made it for me. Well written and well acted. Lots of echoes back to previous Treks (Most obviously Star Trek VI) but did not once feel like a "retread".

Horizon: So Travis finally gets an episode... and I find the subplot of trying to get T'Pol to movie night more interesting. Sorry Travis! Not a bad episode by any means, but I can kind of understand why Travis hasn't been in the spotlight too much. He's good support, but carrying a whole episode...

The Breach: Phlox is one of my favourite characters, and I liked the idea presented here - could be read almost as a German doctor/Jewish patient. The episode also managed to stay just the right side of sentimentality, and the subplot with Tucker, Reed and Travis was also well done with decent humour. Another great episode.
Old May 1 2014, 01:17 PM   #40
Yanks
Fleet Captain

"Fallen Hero" and "Desert Crossing": I wouldn't say either were best-of-the-season material, but neither bad either. Just "fine" - I do hope they get to Risa after having two delays though!!

I know I'm nearing the end of season one, and I have to say, it has had a fantastic "batting average" of good episodes. Probably the best start to any Trek series in terms of "excellent" to "good" to "okay" to "poor" episodes.
Hey, little late here, but welcome to Enterprise!

Seasons 1&2 or Enterprise get a bad wrap.

I'm in agreement with you. Clearly Enterprise S1&2 are stronger than TNG, DS9 or Voyager's 1&2.

I envy you, getting to watch all these episodes for the first time.

Enjoy!!
Old May 1 2014, 01:25 PM   #41
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Nothing on Carbon Creek Trek Survivor?

For me personally, the 1st CD of Season 2 is one of the best grouping of episodes in all of trek.

Last edited by Yanks; May 1 2014 at 04:56 PM.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 03:55 PM   #42
Mage
Commodore

We're about two dics into season two aswell, and it's not nearly as bad as I seem to recall. Which is interesting. I wonder why I judged them harsher when they first aired.
Old May 2 2014, 10:49 AM   #43
Trek Survivor
Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post
Yep, pn page 2 of the thread:

"Carbon Creek" - another fun episode. I really liked the Vulcan who chose to stay behind in the past. Would love to know that he ended up doing OK, but I am guessing this one is not followed up on in later episodes.

Still, another fun show from Enterprise!"

Watched another last night, "Cogenitor". I am glad it didn't go the predictable route of having Trip fall in love with the cogenitor (a la Riker from TNG "The Outcast" - to be honest, I was worried we were heading for a tired retread. I shouldn't have, Enterprise is in good hands).

Instead, I thought Trip's involvement was very sweet. The episode itself was great, though I didn't see that end coming... man, what a downer. Still, very powerful and I felt very sorry for Trip. Was good to see Andreas Katsulas pop up, and his scenes with Archer - which could've come across as forced or filler sub-plot - played with genuine camaraderie thanks to the skill of those two actors, and obviously fed into the final scenes.

And I recognised the engineer immediately as the poor old engineer who O'Brien had to watch die from DS9 (and got into a fight with Worf over)! Man, they sure do like bringing back previous actors in all the Treks!!

"Regeneration" next, and... the Borg! Unfortunately, my wife can't stand Borg or Q episodes, but hopefully Enterprise - as usual - will come up trumps and give us an old idea with a distinctly different and interesting spin.
Old May 2 2014, 12:50 PM   #44
BruntFCA
Commander

"Regeneration" is easily the best Borg episode since the Scorpion two-parter on VOY, I think you'll enjoy it.
Old May 2 2014, 01:11 PM   #45
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post
Yep, pn page 2 of the thread:

"Carbon Creek" - another fun episode. I really liked the Vulcan who chose to stay behind in the past. Would love to know that he ended up doing OK, but I am guessing this one is not followed up on in later episodes.

Still, another fun show from Enterprise!"
You are talking to someone that thinks this is the best ST episode ever

You are correct, they do not address this again. MAybe one of the things they could have revisited had ENT continued. I'm sure Mestral did just fine.

My review is here if you want to take a gander: http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...6&postcount=45

Watched another last night, "Cogenitor". I am glad it didn't go the predictable route of having Trip fall in love with the cogenitor (a la Riker from TNG "The Outcast" - to be honest, I was worried we were heading for a tired retread. I shouldn't have, Enterprise is in good hands).
This should be considered Enterprise's "Prime Directive" episode rather than Dear Doctor.

Was good to see Andreas Katsulas pop up, and his scenes with Archer - which could've come across as forced or filler sub-plot - played with genuine camaraderie thanks to the skill of those two actors, and obviously fed into the final scenes.
What an outstanding actor. I think I could look good as long as he was in the scene.