Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old March 4 2014, 04:06 PM   #16
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: So I have FINALLY started watching Enterprise... love it so far!!

jespah wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
My teeth are aching looking at that.
Yeah, it's basically a sugar bus where the next stop is your pancreas.
It may be bad for the body, but it's good for the soul.

Nice to see another fan who gave ENT another chance. In my experience it seems like a lot of folks who either disliked or dismissed ENT during its first run have later come back around to enjoying it after giving it a second go. I know I'm one of them; I saw most of Season One and wasn't too impressed, but came back early into Season Four and fell in love with the show. Now it's my third favorite series in the franchise after DS9 and TNG.

Enjoy the show!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 04:32 PM   #17
Trek Survivor
Captain

So two more episodes down - "Acquisition" and "Oasis".

Let's start with the latter first - ugh. A big disappointment, and what a waste of Auberjonois. I do recognise that with so much Trek/sci-fi in general, themes are going to be repeated over time... but this episode was SO much like the DS9 episode "Shadowplay" (I thought maybe they'd have a different ending but no... we get the "they're happy to be with holograms and that's how they'll stay") I couldn't really enjoy it. The fact that the guy who played Odo - who had a significant part in "Shadowplay" - featured just reinforced the similarities.

As always, Trip Tucker was good in it, and I liked the scene where they opened the escape pod and found the dead guy... but yeah. Not good.

As for "Acquisition"... I can't really find it in me to get hung up over "Trek continuity" (it's all made up, after all) but I did find myself wondering how this jived with all the mystery over the Ferengi in early TNG. I know they never mentioned they were Ferengi, but there'd be video logs of them around the ship etc... I am sure somebody looking at historical records would've pieced it together.

Having said all that, the episode itself was kind of fun. Archer playing the one Ferengi was good. Trip and T'Pol also had some good moments. I do get a little uncomfortable when the whole "Ferengi love sexy women as slaves" thing comes up... almost as if I'm gaining an insight into the writer's mind that I'd rather not have - I'm sure that's not the case though!

Ultimately, after being so enthused about the show thus far, I think "Oasis" is my new low-point (just beating "Terra Prime"). Hopefully the next episode will be good again.
Old March 10 2014, 05:56 PM   #18
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

I think you mean Terra Nova (season 1) and not Terra Prime (season 4), yes?
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 12:56 PM   #19
Trek Survivor
Captain

jespah wrote: View Post
I think you mean Terra Nova (season 1) and not Terra Prime (season 4), yes?
Oops, yes, that's right.

Anyway, watched "Detained" last night. This is more like it! Really enjoyed this episode. Great to see Dean Stockwell again and the story was interesting.
Old March 17 2014, 02:18 PM   #20
Trek Survivor
Captain

"Fallen Hero" and "Desert Crossing": I wouldn't say either were best-of-the-season material, but neither bad either. Just "fine" - I do hope they get to Risa after having two delays though!!

I know I'm nearing the end of season one, and I have to say, it has had a fantastic "batting average" of good episodes. Probably the best start to any Trek series in terms of "excellent" to "good" to "okay" to "poor" episodes.
Old March 18 2014, 01:34 PM   #21
Trek Survivor
Captain

"Two Days And Two Nights" - ha ha, brilliant! Loved Trip and Malcolm in their "pulling" outfits (those two are rapidly becoming my favourite characters); the Phlox bit was a bit OTT but my wife thought it was funny.
Old March 20 2014, 01:40 PM   #22
Trek Survivor
Captain

"Shockwave Part I and II" - fantastic pair of episodes! I really don't understand why people don't like Enterprise...seems like it gets a raw deal with fan criticism. Not perfect, but good grief, this is the best season one from any of the shows I've seen.
Old March 20 2014, 06:19 PM   #23
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I thought "Shockwave" was great. I was just disappointed to see that 31st century Earth was supposed to be okay, after Daniels' cryptic "It depends how you define 'Earth'" line in "Cold Front"

I remember lots of people complaining that Daniels' line that school kids of the 31st century would send messages to themselves back through time was ludicrous, but I think people of the 1900's would say exactly the same about people of the 2000's carrying devices that can access pretty much the sum total of human knowledge, yet mostly use them to look at funny pictures of cats and to argue about old TV shows.
Old March 21 2014, 12:28 AM   #24
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

And I bet the 31st century humans are sending messages to their younger selves which are pictures of cats or points they think they should have made about old holoprograms

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 02:07 PM   #25
Trek Survivor
Captain

"Carbon Creek" - another fun episode. I really liked the Vulcan who chose to stay behind in the past. Would love to know that he ended up doing OK, but I am guessing this one is not followed up on in later episodes.

Still, another fun show from Enterprise!
Old April 4 2014, 02:19 AM   #26
Drone
Commander

View Drone's Twitter Profile

Skywalker wrote: View Post

Nice to see another fan who gave ENT another chance. In my experience it seems like a lot of folks who either disliked or dismissed ENT during its first run have later come back around to enjoying it after giving it a second go. I know I'm one of them; I saw most of Season One and wasn't too impressed, but came back early into Season Four and fell in love with the show. Now it's my third favorite series in the franchise after DS9 and TNG.Enjoy the show!
I've only posted a few times here so far and hardly ever visited before coming aboard, so at the risk of taking this thread off the rails, does it seem that the hardcore haters of the show usually would hang their hat on a single prevailing production element that they truly couldn't abide? Or would one often get a balanced wide ranging critique that mentioned many issues while also winding up giving Enterprise the proverbial hard kick in the pants?

As an example, I've never understood the rabid enmity expressed in making the case that the theme was anathema to the tradition of Trek by somehow diminishing the majesty of the presentation of the brand. For me it communicated a resonant message of humanity's strivings up to this point in history and at the same time rather deftly acknowledged how far the audience knew the voyage had to run. Stylistically, it makes sense that the genre used was so much more earthbound, contemporary or not, just as the characters are closer to us not only in time but in sensibilities as well.

The naivete of the crew and Archer specifically in making their missteps in dealing with a continual string of "first contacts" seemed to generally echo pretty well the the living out of any number of similar roles throughout history with people stepping out into a virtual unknown realm and having familiar procedures, assumptions, and biases harshly grounded in the light of what real world experience quickly teaches.

Certainly, there are sore thumbs that can be strongly argued merit scorn, from the beginning to the end. Some, rightfully engendering visceral anger as in the choice made on the package used to wrap the series' swansong. But given my own perceptions of the program as a whole, I just can't associate with a sort of lockstep consignment of it to a veritable dustbin of history.
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 03:15 AM   #27
feek61
Captain

It's always great to welcome a new "Enterprise" fan; welcome Trek Survivor. I really love the show and rank it right behind TOS as my favorite trek. I watched the first 6 or so episodes when they originally aired but my local station switched the airing time to 11:30 on Friday night. I remember coming home one night a few years later and turning on the TV to catch part of the third season episode "Twilight" and a few weeks later part of "Carpenter Street" and was impressed; the show was great. I watched when I could but it was when I bought the entire series on DVD and watched them all over the Christmas holidays that I became a huge fan of the show. Its a solid show and I never understood the hate for the show. What else is there to compare to it on TV during that time? I will quit rambling; welcome to the world of Enterprise and please keep posting your reviews. I find myself wanting to go watch the series once again (for about the 20th time, lol)
Old April 4 2014, 12:36 PM   #28
Trek Survivor
Captain

Thanks for the welcome feek61! I am really enjoying this show; just can't understand the hate. It's a lot better than Voyager (which I gave up on fairly early on) and though the best of TNG and DS9 probably still beat it (so far...) I have to say Enterprise is far more consistent in its quality. It might not reach the heights of DS9/TNG, but it sure don't hit the same lows either!

Anyway, a few episodes to catch up on:

"Minefield": A cool episode. The aliens didn't really need to be Romulans, but it was an interesting element anyway. Reed getting hit in the leg by the mine certainly added an extra layer to the standard "crewman in trouble and time is running out" plot. The scenes taking place on the hull looked great.

"Dead Stop": Roxann Dawson doing the computer voice! I wasn't so keen on this one. I liked the continuity from the previous show though.

"A Night in Sickbay": This one had some funny moments, but a bit of a disappointment overall. The Archer/T'Pol attraction thing isn't something I'm too keen on, and I hope it doesn't go all the way to romance. The aliens and the whole "apology" thing were silly.

"Marauders": Great episode. A bunch of Klingon bullies and the Enterprise crew as the heroes in a 'wild west'-type town? Irresistable!
Old April 7 2014, 08:01 PM   #29
Reanok
Commodore

Welcome Treksurvivor Minefield and Dead stop are really great season 2 episodes.A night sick has a few funny moments Hoshi catching Phlox's bat .Minefield is also good.It reminds me of the A-team approach fighting the Klingons.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2014, 01:18 PM   #30
Trek Survivor
Captain

Yes, it felt like an "A-Team"-esque storyline. And as I love the A-Team, it went down well with me.

"The Seventh": This one also felt a little A-Team esque. I really do enjoy the adventure element of this series. The production values are also very high. I was less convinced about the whole T'Pol "repressed memories" thing, but the story was good enough.

"The Communicator": A bit disappointing... also reminded me of a couple of season one episodes in plot and tone (Archer and a.n.other crewmember captured, interrogated etc).

"Singularity": This was a weird one. A very Star Trek-ish episode with the crew being affected by an outside phenomenon. OK, but forgettable.