Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 15 2014, 08:19 AM   #16
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Re: The Voice (U.S.) Season 6 Discussion Thread

It seems I may be wrong, Christina Grimmie might have the competition sewn up. On youtube, she has 4 times as many views than any other competitor. On iTunes charts, her Voice songs are approaching the 100th rank while the next nearest competitor is at 200th.
Old April 15 2014, 11:16 PM   #17
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Yeah, I do think it's kind of unfair to include somebody who already has a seven figure fanbase.

And I do think her performance was excellent, but not that much better than Kat's. I think the producers are setting her up to steamroll because they see her as the most marketable. Did Christina actually go last or did they just move her performance to last to make her stand out the most?

If Christina just starts easily winning every voting round I may just stop watching. It's no fun when you can tell the competition is fixed, even if it always is and is just usually less obvious.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2014, 10:56 AM   #18
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

She wasn't the first person to sing at the auditions but the producers showed her as first on stage. Its likely she didn't go last in the playoffs but was shown as going last, for dramatic reasons.

36. Christina Grimmie - I Won’t Give Up (The Voice Performance)
113. Kat Perkins - Open Arms (The Voice Performance)
145. Dani Moz - The Edge of Glory (The Voice Performance)
155. Tess Boyer - Human (The Voice Performance)

Out of the top 200 on iTunes, these are the playoff songs and their current ranking as of a few hours ago. Kat might still have a chance.
Old April 22 2014, 11:39 PM   #19
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Christina Grimmie's not ahead in the downloads!

Josh Kaufman: #5
Kristen Merlin: #32
Jake Worthington: #46
Christina Grimmie: #51
Kat Perkins: #109
Sisaundra Lewis: #116
Audra McLaughlin: #125
Delvin Choice: #138
Bria Kelly: #149
Tess Boyer: #198

Mind you I have nothing against Christina, I think she's one of the better singers in the competition. I'm just rooting against her because I don't want NBC to get their way.

Last edited by JirinPanthosa; April 22 2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old April 30 2014, 04:57 AM   #20
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

This week Grimmie did get the highest selling song *sigh*. Congratulations NBC, your fix was successful. You have your pre-marketed winner with the built in audience.

I was looking at Wikipedia to see who was eliminated this week because I wasn't following this week and I noticed that apparently, Pharell Williams and Gwen Stefani are coaching next season.
Old April 30 2014, 06:02 AM   #21
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

No apparently about it.
Old April 30 2014, 07:45 AM   #22
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I believe I have said in an old Voice thread that there are two youtube singers I'ld like to see participating. Madilyn Bailey was one. The other was Christina Grimmie. So I'm alright with Grimmie winning. She may have been selected by NBC, but she's a good selection.
Old April 30 2014, 06:00 PM   #23
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I'm not too terribly disappointed in who went home last night. I can't even remember their names actually. Kat did a really good job on her last chance performance and definitely deserved to stay. The one from Usher's team seemed totally defeated the whole night, which negatively affected her final performance I felt.

I'm excited about Gwen Stefani joining! I was going to skip next season because of Christina, but now I'll definitely check it out.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 07:35 PM   #24
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

intrinsical wrote: View Post
I believe I have said in an old Voice thread that there are two youtube singers I'ld like to see participating. Madilyn Bailey was one. The other was Christina Grimmie. So I'm alright with Grimmie winning. She may have been selected by NBC, but she's a good selection.
I agree she's a great singer and would certainly deserve to win, but her winning makes for a boring television show. I'm not against her, so much as I'm against boringness. It makes me not want to watch the show that there's absolutely no suspense.

Somebody should have just given her a record deal outright instead of casting people who already have name recognition on a show that's supposed to be about discovering talent.
Old May 1 2014, 04:21 AM   #25
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Somebody should have just given her a record deal outright instead of casting people who already have name recognition on a show that's supposed to be about discovering talent.
She had a record deal when she was 17. She has two albums, either did well enough to chart high. Since The Voice require competitors to be unsigned, I believe she has since been dropped.

Besides, only American Idol and X-Factor are truly about "discovering talent". The way I see it, The Voice is more of a platform for already talented and polished professionals who are hoping to kick start a solo career as a music artist.
Old May 1 2014, 04:48 AM   #26
Aragorn
Admiral

The Voice seems more concerned with the actual show itself than producing hit artists. The biggest names to come from the show are Blake Shelton and Adam Levine.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 04:18 AM   #27
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

American Idol's not about discovering talent, it's about discovering marketability.

Apparently so is The Voice. It just managed to pretend longer because of it's 'chair turn' gimmick. At least American Idol supports their winners.
Old May 7 2014, 02:36 AM   #28
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Let's face it, Kat has consistently been in the bottom only to be twitter saved. Twice. She is as good as out of the competition. So the top 3 are going to be teen pop Christina, soul man Josh and country boy Jake.

The country audience is definitely voting for Jake but he won't win without wider support from non-country viewers. People who had voted for Sisuandra and Delvin, the two elimnated "old souls", will probably shift their vote to Josh and expand his already considerable voter pool. Finally, Audra and (eventually) Kat's younger voters will shift to Christina.

Josh might win this simply because my favorite is Christina and my favorites never ever win. Besides, Josh has the voters behind him. Both Josh and Christina each has two songs in the iTunes Top 10 chart, but Josh edges out Christina in terms of copies sold (Josh's 80k vs Christina's 60k).

Last edited by intrinsical; May 7 2014 at 11:08 AM.
intrinsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 01:10 AM   #29
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

The Voice broke the record with 1.92 million tweets during its tuesday broadcast. I wonder how many of those tweets came from Team Grimmie?

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2014/...witter-record/
Old May 15 2014, 01:59 AM   #30
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I'm rooting for Josh because I don't want NBC to get what they want.

And anyway, Christina is going to get a record deal whether or not she wins.

I do think Christina is a great singer, but her performance this week was horrible. Mostly because of horrible song choice, I don't see how anybody but suburban white teenagers with trust funds could like that song.