Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 27 2014, 06:27 AM   #46
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Next Film Bad Guy Should Be.....

Lance wrote: View Post
Starbreaker wrote: View Post
It's not going to be Mudd. They already covered this in the comics and even reference the 'Mudd Incident' in STID. That was his ship they took to Kronos.
That doesn't mean it won't happen. And the comics aren't canon.
I do think the comics actually are a good indication of what won't happen in future movies with Robert Orci overseeing them. It seems like he steers them clear of some ideas (like Khan) that may want to be used on the big screen, IMO.
Old February 27 2014, 07:35 AM   #47
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
There's no such thing as a decentralized will. That's a paradox.
They seem to have initially been based on the collective intelligence of ant colonies, which is probably where the "queen" idea came from. Could've lived without it myself, it was a tad too predictable.
I'd like to point out that a human being is composed of—wait for it—cells, none of which, as far as we know, is distinguished as a queen cell. There's nothing paradoxical whatsoever in a whole being that is composed of living parts, none of which is on par with the whole. We see such things every day of our lives. If they'd had the guts to conceive of the Borg in this manner, then the transcendent singular Borg consciousness would have been of an intelligence and will far beyond that of a regular humanoid, presenting a foe of ability and challenge far beyond that of the other foes the Federation had faced, short of those with overtly godlike powers. Of course, one could argue that they did that anyway, and that the Borg queen is largely just a personification of that higher-order consciousness, for dramatic purposes. However, as it is, the Borg were depicted as largely unimaginative and stupid, which is really a counterargument to the notion that they went for a truly transcendent singular Borg consciousness.
Old February 27 2014, 08:15 AM   #48
BigJake
Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, the Borg were in advanced stages of Villain Decay by the time we met the Queen. In a way she was the culmination of that process.
Old February 27 2014, 06:59 PM   #49
mendelin
Lieutenant Commander

View mendelin's Twitter Profile

Since the Reboot is a kind of trilogy, they may return to Vulcan problems and vulcan-romulan conflict.
My personal hope is for Q (may be not as a villain, but observer).
mendelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 07:16 PM   #50
The Stig
Rear Admiral

I'd love for the next film to feature some unstoppable force, rather than a 'villain' per-se.

The Doomsday Machine writ large or the Probe from ST IV.

Or, and I know this is way out there, the Enterprise encounters Eminiar and their computer-war with their sister planet. The ship is disabled, the crew set to be disintegrated and Kirk must find a way to save them all and stop the war. I'd love that, but I know it's very unlikely.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 09:19 PM   #51
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
^ Yeah, the Borg were in advanced stages of Villain Decay by the time we met the Queen. In a way she was the culmination of that process.
You could say it even began with Locutus, in which the Borg suddenly needed a spokesman to deal with the Federation.

I think what made the Borg so scary in "Q Who?" was that you really couldn't talk to them. Talk was irrelevant, except to tell you resistance was futile and you will be assimilated.

And then, later, we got Hugh the Friendly Borg...
Old February 27 2014, 11:00 PM   #52
BigJake
Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, the Locutus thing was a bit weird but it was still forgivable as a dramatic conceit. It was with Hugh that it started to get silly.
Old February 28 2014, 05:30 AM   #53
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

That was his ship they took to Kronos.
Hers, actually.
Old February 28 2014, 04:29 PM   #54
The Wormhole
Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
That was his ship they took to Kronos.
Hers, actually.
It is possible that when the line was written in the movie it was meant to be a reference to Harry Mudd and that it was the comic's writers who decided to be Harry's Bajoran daughter instead.
Old March 9 2014, 12:47 AM   #55
Roddenberry
Lieutenant Commander

I don't want a villain per say, I want a spin on Balance Of Terror. Mysterious destruction of Starfleet outposts can remain, but this time, with a little prime Spock meddling, peace breaks out between the federation and Romulans. This, of course, upsets the Klingons, threats of war and a new series is primed.
Roddenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 12:43 PM   #56
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Nothing involving the Borg or Blingons or reimaged TOS villains.

If they do go with another big-bad, then something/one new and original.
Old March 9 2014, 03:07 PM   #57
austen_pierce
Captain

I don't have any complaints about Nero or Khan/Marcus. These are well-defined, fleshed out, and deeply motivated by factors that we understand but don't share; they are bad-guys after all. This is also why I also like Soran and reluctantly Ru'afo and dislike Dougherty and Shinzon (these latter I just don't see WHY they are doing what they are doing).

Give us another well-defined, motivated villain with a good back story, played by a credible, dynamic person (he OR she), and we'll be happy. Again.

I'd also like to see a medical thriller (I've posted this before), or I could go for a big-screen version of Balance of Terror (not sure they'd go Romulan again), The Enterprise Incident, or The Doomsday Machine as others have proposed.
Old March 10 2014, 05:40 PM   #58
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Vin Diesel as Kang....
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 11:59 PM   #59
Romulan_spy
Commodore

I would love to see a reimagined Borg where they are a true Collective, with no Borg Queen.

But at least, I hope the next villain is not about revenge. We've had 3 villains in a row that were seeking revenge (Schinzon, Nero and Khan) so I'd like to see a villain with a different motive, perhaps even an antagonist to our heroes who is not a villain per se.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 01:43 AM   #60
The Wormhole
Admiral

Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
I would love to see a reimagined Borg where they are a true Collective, with no Borg Queen.

But at least, I hope the next villain is not about revenge. We've had 3 villains in a row that were seeking revenge (Schinzon, Nero and Khan) so I'd like to see a villain with a different motive, perhaps even an antagonist to our heroes who is not a villain per se.
Four, actually, since Ru'afo wanted revenge on the Ba'ku as well.

And besides, Khan, who is apparently Star Trek's definitive villain (according to the current TPTBs) was seeking revenge in TWOK, the most popular movie that every Trek movie since the 1990s has tried to emulate in some way. And as long as that trend continues we'll get villains bent on revenge.

Or the Borg, who I'm sure will have a Queen or at the very least a Locutus-style spokesperson.