Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 26 2014, 07:44 AM   #31
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Re: Next Film Bad Guy Should Be.....

I agree with the comments that there shouldn't be a typical 'Villain-is mad-about-something-and-wants-to-destroy-Earth-for-no-other-reason-that-the-audience-is-from-Earth.'

Villains can be 'mother nature,' or a phenomenon (like the first two 'Genesis Wave' books) that gives the characters something to fix, and possibly learn from over the course of the story. Of course, that would mean the writers actually have to - gasp! - think outside the box and give us an original story that central to this reboot. (Since, according to Abrams, this 'reboot' was all about wiping the slate clean and giving us ORIGINAL stories!)

Klingons have been so overused in Trek, I would hope they can use some other alien races if they - TPTB - need some humanoid antagonists or a non-antagonistic alien race to feature prominently.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 09:54 AM   #32
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Hythlodeus wrote: View Post
A big NO to any idea involving the Borg
2takesfrakes wrote:
HAha! What the hell?
Sorry, but it's only a matter of when they'll return.
Old February 26 2014, 01:21 PM   #33
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Soran.

What happened to El Auria, that's presumably in the 2260s. But was out of range in the Prime Universe. Just refugee ships journeying for decades. Well, now the ships travel at transwarp and Starfleet has made its presence felt, further out than before.

A mounting threat from a truly zombie reinvention of the Borg. Not a Queen in sight. Why do they need to be led anyway? They're more of a disease, than a race.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; February 26 2014 at 01:36 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 01:33 PM   #34
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I have to agree about getting rid of the whole QUEEN idea. I don't know what it is about STAR TREK aliens, they are not allowed to be very alien, for long. Like Vulcans. They are just pointy eared Humans, in ENTERPRISE, pretty much, who like to use the catchword "Logic" alot. The Klingons were cool, too, before Worf turned them into people who sniff eachother like dogs, when they're in heat. When these aliens are seldom used, little shown and hardly known, they work out the best for the show, I feel ... Definitely right, though, get rid of the Borg Queen. However, Alice Krige is an awesome actress! I loved her in the DUNE series.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 02:28 PM   #35
Irishman
Fleet Captain

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Soran.
Nooo, dear God in heaven!! I love Malcolm McDowell as an actor, but Soran was one of the weakest "villains" in Trek. So poorly executed. He was just a cypher of a villain, an excuse to bring Kirk and Picard onscreen together for the hand-off. The gunfight in the middle of the desert was painful to watch. As soon as I saw the bridge crossing that span, I knew someone was going to either blow it up, get thrown off it, or die on it.

Little did I know...
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 03:48 PM   #36
anh165
Commander

Soran could work, but not as a villain. The Enterprise gets sacrificed to stop the Borg invasion of El Auria, the crew save Soran.

Later an enraged khan-blood enhanced Kirk, takes control of the Vengeance to battle the 23rd century borg and defeats them.

The consquencies of saving El Auria means Kirk from the future does not die, leaving him open to return in the next installment.

I like it.
Old February 26 2014, 08:45 PM   #37
CorporalClegg
Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I have to agree about getting rid of the whole QUEEN idea. I don't know what it is about STAR TREK aliens, they are not allowed to be very alien, for long. Like Vulcans. They are just pointy eared Humans, in ENTERPRISE, pretty much, who like to use the catchword "Logic" alot. The Klingons were cool, too, before Worf turned them into people who sniff eachother like dogs, when they're in heat. When these aliens are seldom used, little shown and hardly known, they work out the best for the show, I feel ... Definitely right, though, get rid of the Borg Queen. However, Alice Krige is an awesome actress! I loved her in the DUNE series.
The Borg queen was created out of necessity. The Borg were conceptually flawed before her creation.
Old February 26 2014, 08:56 PM   #38
OpenMaw
Commander

No they weren't. Everything about them was designed around a decentralized concept. Their ships, their will. The queen was the antithesis of their initial concept.
Old February 26 2014, 09:10 PM   #39
CorporalClegg
Admiral

There's no such thing as a decentralized will. That's a paradox.
Old February 26 2014, 09:44 PM   #40
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
Harry Mudd, interstellar drug lord, uses his army of androids (including the Alice series, the Barbara series, the Herman series, the Trudy series, the Maisie series, and particularly the Annabelle series) to establish a chain of brothels throughout the galaxy, known as Mudd's Chicken Ranches.

An improved Venus drug, with no withdrawal symptoms, is surreptitiously distributed through physical encounters with the androids.

The brothels prove so popular that the hotspots of Wrigley's Pleasure Planet and Risa are faced with financial ruin until Kirk decides on his own that Mudd must be stopped.

Note: The Stella series is used as bouncers at the brothels.
Oh, I wanna see this. And it can be a comedy. And I know who can play Harry Mudd!
  1. Jack Black
  2. Cedric The Entertainer
  3. Jonah Hill
  4. Adam Sandler
  5. David Spade
  6. Eddie Murphy*
  7. Eddie Izard
  8. Cheech Marin (he can be like his character in From Dusk 'Til Dawn and be the greeter at Mudd's brothel, and say what he said in the movie [which I won't repeat here; this is the link!)
*Yes, we have a use for Eddie in a Star Trek movie!
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 09:47 PM   #41
OpenMaw
Commander

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
You've been to every corner of the universe to know that for certain have you?

No, that's not really true. There are many examples of where we are seeing signs of decentralization in our own society. The internet is a good enough example. It has no singular "center." It is a mass of connections from all over the planet. Even if you start shutting down servers, there is no "master server" that runs the whole thing.

All you need is a similar network, subspace connections, and some kind of software that spread throughout the initial planetary network and took over the minds of the people on that world. In Q Who the Borg were still shown to be breeding, and immediately after birth connecting their young to mechanisms, very likely affecting their minds with a software component. Assimilation would be no different. An indoctrination of the mind with advanced computer software. Probably/possibly corrupted from it's original intent.

The Borg were a lovecraftian concept, and it was what made them an interesting and horrifying threat to begin with. Giving them the Queen turned them into a glorified bee hive, with the addition of all her petty individual traits. Not to mention making the borg painfully easy to over come.
Old February 26 2014, 10:00 PM   #42
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

They seem to have initially been based on the collective intelligence of ant colonies, which is probably where the "queen" idea came from. Could've lived without it myself, it was a tad too predictable.
Old February 27 2014, 01:54 AM   #43
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Gorn?

Wake me when it's over.
You're Gorn to have a very long nap.
Old February 27 2014, 04:32 AM   #44
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

It's not going to be Mudd. They already covered this in the comics and even reference the 'Mudd Incident' in STID. That was his ship they took to Kronos.

I think they're working towards a Klingon war, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see a particularly nasty Klingon villain in the next film.
Old February 27 2014, 06:15 AM   #45
Lance
Commodore

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
It's not going to be Mudd. They already covered this in the comics and even reference the 'Mudd Incident' in STID. That was his ship they took to Kronos.
That doesn't mean it won't happen. And the comics aren't canon.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote