Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 22 2014, 01:16 AM   #1
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

The most interesting aliens of TOS

The very first ones filmed. The Talosians. Possibly the most interesting of all Trek. They aren't vengeful. They let Pike go accepting their death sentence. And have enough compassion to take Pike back.

The real question is did they contact Spock or did he contact them?
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 03:46 AM   #2
KeepOnTrekking
Commodore

Re: The most interesting aliens of TOS

I've always liked the Vulcans the most. But the Tholians are definitely a close runner-up in my book.

Interesting question about whether it was Spock or the Keeper that came up with the idea to help Pike. I never gave it much thought before. I'll have to give it some thought. Looking forward to everyone's opinion on this!
KeepOnTrekking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 04:34 AM   #3
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The Horta.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 08:30 AM   #4
CrazyMatt
Commander

(whispering)I have to admit a liking for the Scalosians, especially the women.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Don't tell anyone about my depravity.
Old February 22 2014, 08:51 AM   #5
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
The Horta.
They are certainly up there. Non-humanoid. Not even carbon-based (emphasizing their alienness and the difficulty in recognizing their eggs as eggs). Unusual life-cycle of only one mother (again emphasizing their alienness and the difficulty of noticing them). And yet there is a way to find common ground. They are not completely unlike us, because they have a generational reproductive cycle and thereby instincts similar to ours that we can relate to and understand. The episode itself is very fine and suffers mainly from some cheesiness in the monster attacks ("you go over here by yourself and get dramatically killed by the monster").

In addition to the Horta, I'll nominate the Vulcans, the cosmic cloud from "One of Our Planets Is Missing", the Q, the Borg, the Companion, the Tholians, the two-dimensional creatures flying into the cosmic string, the Tamarians, the Trill.
Old February 22 2014, 07:56 PM   #6
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
The Horta.
They are certainly up there. Non-humanoid. Not even carbon-based (emphasizing their alienness and the difficulty in recognizing their eggs as eggs). Unusual life-cycle of only one mother (again emphasizing their alienness and the difficulty of noticing them). And yet there is a way to find common ground. They are not completely unlike us, because they have a generational reproductive cycle and thereby instincts similar to ours that we can relate to and understand. The episode itself is very fine and suffers mainly from some cheesiness in the monster attacks ("you go over here by yourself and get dramatically killed by the monster").

In addition to the Horta, I'll nominate the Vulcans, the cosmic cloud from "One of Our Planets Is Missing", the Q, the Borg, the Companion, the Tholians, the two-dimensional creatures flying into the cosmic string, the Tamarians, the Trill.
No love for Medusans?
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 08:08 PM   #7
CrazyMatt
Commander

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
No love for Medusans?
Well, the Medusan ambassador did have an interesting....body? Kinda like a tool box I once had....
Old February 22 2014, 08:46 PM   #8
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
No love for Medusans?
Yes, I'd nominate them too. I think aliens triggering a psychotic reaction in at least some people by the aliens' physical appearance is a real-world possibility if we ever meet aliens.
Old February 22 2014, 10:40 PM   #9
Maurice
Vice Admiral

TOS, my friend. The subject is TOS aliens. I'll buy the cloud from TAS, maybe.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; February 22 2014 at 11:01 PM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 10:41 PM   #10
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

TOS, my friend. The subject is TOS aliens. I'll but the cloud from TAS, maybe.
Ah, whoops! My bad!
Old February 24 2014, 03:46 PM   #11
Vandervecken
Commander

The Tholians. Thoroughly alien, enigmatic, vaguely arthropod-like (detectable even in TOS, I felt), and totally xenophobic. None of this "gosh, we're out in space, let's make friends with folks" stuff for them.

Just weird. Punctual, too.
Old February 24 2014, 04:05 PM   #12
Richard Baker
Commander

Korob and Sylvia from 'Catspaw' - totally alien creatures from another galaxy trying to understand humans but locking in on the wrong part of the mind instead.

Tholians are second runner up- as finally shown in their full form later, another true alien race made of crystal, very territorial and as mentioned above, punctual.

While there are a lot of aliens throughout the series, I like obviously the ones which are not actors in makeup but creatures so different that you might not even recognize them as sapient beings, they have their own world view and a lot of difficulty dealing with humans
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 04:12 PM   #13
Vandervecken
Commander

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
Korob and Sylvia from 'Catspaw' - totally alien creatures from another galaxy trying to understand humans but locking in on the wrong part of the mind instead.

Tholians are second runner up- as finally shown in their full form later, another true alien race made of crystal, very territorial and as mentioned above, punctual.

While there are a lot of aliens throughout the series, I like obviously the ones which are not actors in makeup but creatures so different that you might not even recognize them as sapient beings, they have their own world view and a lot of difficulty dealing with humans
Along those lines, the Kelvans. And I agree with you. The really alien aliens (especially non-humanoids) are most interesting.
Old February 24 2014, 04:41 PM   #14
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
The Tholians. Thoroughly alien, enigmatic, vaguely arthropod-like (detectable even in TOS, I felt), and totally xenophobic. None of this "gosh, we're out in space, let's make friends with folks" stuff for them.

Just weird. Punctual, too.
It's also interesting too see a non-humanoid species having an organized society technologically developed.

The TOS Romulan are also pretty interresting as a potential "lost tribe" of Vulcan.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 01:04 AM   #15
Danny99
Vice Admiral

I'll throw in the Eminians of "A Taste of Armageddon." It'd be an interesting study to see how stepping into disintegration chambers became so normal, especially in the beginning, where most likely it would've been seen as crazy.